Quantcast

two new Short DH stems ! SWEET !!!!

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
I've been putting off replacing my funn boxxer stem all season for something better. Since the sunline has been out of stock at my LBS I've just been using the funn. Now this? Perfecto!

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
I wonder if they worked with Sunline on that stem, looks like a direct ripoff otherwise. I guess theres only so much creativity that can go into a stem, but its like the ethiopian version of the sunline, which is already like nicole ritchey. I would be weary of that bad boy in a frontal impact haha. I'll add 20g's to my stem for a bit more safety of mind, even tho straitline is prolly on top of their **** as biking is their smaller industry, it just looks fragile.

jasons

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Denver CO
Yeah, unfortunately we have run out of the Boxxer stem just a little while ago (last week I think). We will have them back in stock by mid October. You might be able to find them at some of the online dealers still.

We did not work with Straightline on their new stems.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Wow, that bronze stem is vurrry niiiice. Mate it with some Ti bolts and you have instant spooge.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
What are the reasons for wanting such a short stem? Seems to me that if your TT length is correct then that would place you too far over the rear, but then again I'm already on a short CS bike.

xxiv

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I wonder if they worked with Sunline on that stem, looks like a direct ripoff otherwise.
How so?

I would have said that Sunline borrowed Straitline's styling last season and that Straitline have just continued on with their own original styling. Pretty sure in 2006 Straitline launched their gear before Sunline did and Sunline had some uncanny similarities. Could be wrong?

Tom DH

Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
UK
35mm is way to long you want to get back to the 90's with the Azonic zero stem.

I had one of these and it was awful to ride but perhaps they will make a come back if super short stems are the new thing?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
35mm is way to long you want to get back to the 90's with the Azonic zero stem.

I had one of these and it was awful to ride but perhaps they will make a come back if super short stems are the new thing?
the 90s, haha, they made the hammer stem, also 0mm all the way to 2004.

straitline guys are pretty damn cool. i've chatted with Greg on and off for a good 3 years now. very cool guy. very honest. they do all of their work now in house. the bike part is just a side job, all of them ride. so why not use their brains to make some cool ****.
their lever design is also on some wheelchair and other handicap items. their known in the carpal tunnel industry you could say. cause its a working design, that actually does something good. not just look good.

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
That DM 27mm stem will not work unless you're riding an XL frameset or mounting your forks hucker-style.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
That DM 27mm stem will not work unless you're riding an XL frameset or mounting your forks hucker-style.
yeah, i suppose stantion / bar interference will be a problem (with most modern short stack height / headtube frames anyways). fork manufacturers may have to shorten stantion lengths soon. not much use for drop crowns any more.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
the 90s, haha, they made the hammer stem, also 0mm all the way to 2004.

straitline guys are pretty damn cool. i've chatted with Greg on and off for a good 3 years now. very cool guy. very honest. they do all of their work now in house. the bike part is just a side job, all of them ride. so why not use their brains to make some cool ****.
their lever design is also on some wheelchair and other handicap items. their known in the carpal tunnel industry you could say. cause its a working design, that actually does something good. not just look good.
Yep - looks like you got my PM Jimmy.;):D Didn't want to say anything until I spoke with Greg about it first.

Same here - been talking and trading emails with Greg for a while, and he is definitely a cool guy who knows what he's doing and loves what he does. The original proto for that stem was a bit shorter, but I think lengthening it is a good idea. Like others have said it should be a good DM for guys who are in between sizes and have to ride a frame that is a bit bigger then they would like. The finish on the faces/facets of the stem are pretty dope. They have some pretty sweet CNC mills over at Strailine from what I hear.

Beautiful work Straitline guys - nice job!