Quantcast

Two-piece bottoms brackets: Shimano vs. Race Face X-Type

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Anyone have any experience with both the Shimano Hoolowtech II and the Race Face X-Type botoms brackets? I may go with a new bottom bracket for my LX cranks and the Race Face is cheaper. Any reason not to go with the Race face over the Shimano?

Thanks.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Colin said:
Anyone have any experience with both the Shimano Hoolowtech II and the Race Face X-Type botoms brackets? I may go with a new bottom bracket for my LX cranks and the Race Face is cheaper. Any reason not to go with the Race face over the Shimano?

Thanks.
I've used both and can't really tell the difference. Except, of course, you can get the Race Face ones in cool colors. I think RF makes a beefier version for DH but not positive. I've only used the one that comes with XT cranks and the equivalent RF xc version.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
There is a difference. A very technically oriented buddy of mine, and all around awesome rider (don't let his physique fool you) did a writup recently on his website.

http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/bikebottombrackets.htm

He's a machinist by trade, pretty hard on parts, and generally knows his stuff.

...Bryan and I did a little research on my failed Shimano and Race Face bottom brackets, and this is what we learned. The Shimano bearing cartridges were labled HIC (Japan) 6805RD, (25 ID,37 OD,7 WD) with 15 x 1/8" bearings and a steel retainer. The seals were superior to the Race face unit in every way. The side that failed did so because it was contaminated solid with grit, but the bearing still worked and not too poorly either. The good side was clean and greased and rolled very smooth. The Race Face bearings on the other hand had branded seals (always a bad sign) labled RACEFACE X-TYPE 6805 LLU MAX. This is a full complement bearing, meaning that they forgo a retainer and put as many balls in the bearing that will fit. These bearings for example had 30 x 1/8" balls. Full compliment bearings are only meant for high radial loads. They are very prone to failure under axial loading due to the cutout required to assemble the bearings. These types of bearings have no place on any part of a bicycle (not even for suspension links). The reason that the Race Face BB froze was because the full complement bearing only left 0.050" of gap for all of the bearings to share. Besides the fact that these bearings were rubbing against each other almost contiually, once the seals failed and some dirt was allowed in, the unit resembled more a mortis and pestle than a bearing. No gap was left for the dirt to go, so it was just go ground in by the bearings until everything locked up....

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I have heard pretty good arguments for the use of MAX bearings in suspension links though, which is contrary to his writeup (because there isn't enough rotation in suspension links).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My friends and I have always had great experiences with Shimano bottom brackets. Haven't tried the external ones yet, but the bearings in both the square taper and Octalink Shimano bottom brackets have always been awesome.

Just my experience :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Colin said:
I haven't had any issues -- I just bought a new Evil Soveriegn frame and, well, I kinda want to use new parts at the contact points. :cool:
Welcome to the club... you're gonna love it.

steelewheels

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
I had the same problem in the shop today. The raceface completely locked up on the non-drive side. Also i find the bolt that hlds the raceface together is a bit crappy. Havent had a problem at all with the shimano outboard bbs yet!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The best replacement bearings are Phil Wood, no debate. Of course, it only costs $150 for the bearing replacement tool....