Quantcast

U. S. Open Registration Open

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I'll be there, wouldn't miss it for anything. Pro class should be interesting as the World Cup'ers probably won't be there. Or at least not anybody competing for the top spot anyway.

Crap, I'm outta shape. Hmmmm, still have 2 months.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
dante said:
I'll be there, wouldn't miss it for anything. Pro class should be interesting as the World Cup'ers probably won't be there. Or at least not anybody competing for the top spot anyway.

Crap, I'm outta shape. Hmmmm, still have 2 months.
Really? What WC race is there at the time?

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
dante said:
Pro class should be interesting as the World Cup'ers probably won't be there.
Yup! Should be interesting! I'm still undecided on what class to race. Last year I would have done 2 places better in pro than I did in am with a crummy race run. Seems like there are alot of sandbaggers in AM trying to get those killer prizes, so it makes sense to try pro and see how well I'll do. Its not like i'd be on the podium in either class anyway. Pro practice will probably be crowded and bunched up as well. :rolleyes:

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
Banshee Rider said:
Yup! Should be interesting! I'm still undecided on what class to race. Last year I would have done 2 places better in pro than I did in am with a crummy race run. Seems like there are alot of sandbaggers in AM trying to get those killer prizes, so it makes sense to try pro and see how well I'll do. Its not like i'd be on the podium in either class anyway. Pro practice will probably be crowded and bunched up as well. :rolleyes:
Last year there was basically zero problems with pro practice. Definatly a lot less crowding issuess than Am. Plus the pros usually get the better (later) practice time.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I registered a couple of nights ago for Pro. I think I'll have the #3 plate (shawn said one guy registered before me :) )

There are way too many sandbaggers in the AM class to even think about grabbing some prizes. The top guys in that class would be near the top of the pro class. I am fast enough to practice in the pro class without getting in Kovariks way so I prefer to have a good time practicing without backups and possibly not qualify. I missed qualifing last year. However, my time would have been good enough to qualify in the top 30 in 2004 so that tells you how much faster the field is getting. It is cool to try to hang on to the back of Rennie, Hill, etc and learn something.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
DS Dom said:
Last year there was basically zero problems with pro practice. Definatly a lot less crowding issuess than Am. Plus the pros usually get the better (later) practice time.
Those were my expectations. I'm still on the fence. I probably will qualify (barely) in pro, but I also risk the chance of not qualifying. This is alittle hard for me to swallow since I have an 11 hour drive coming from maine. Its either: race pro, test myself, see how I do, but risk blowing qualifiers. Or I can race AM, qualify easily, do well, but have to put up with ****ty practice and the neverending question of "what if". The decision would be easy if I didnt have such a crazy drive. Time to stop complaining! I'll see you there either way :clue: Baby blue v10, you wont miss me.

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
ChrisKring said:
I registered a couple of nights ago for Pro. I think I'll have the #3 plate (shawn said one guy registered before me :) )

There are way too many sandbaggers in the AM class to even think about grabbing some prizes. The top guys in that class would be near the top of the pro class
While AM is definatly a fast bunch of riders, the top guys would definatly not be near the top in the Pro Class. Two years ago I took 2nd in AM with a fairly respectable time. Last season I improved that time by about 15 seconds and got 32nd in Pro. I belive my time was close to 6 seconds faster than the winner in the AM class. Its supposed to be a tough class and it definatly is. I don't know if the winning time for AM would have even made it into the top 50 in the pro field.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
DS Dom said:
While AM is definatly a fast bunch of riders, the top guys would definatly not be near the top in the Pro Class. Two years ago I took 2nd in AM with a fairly respectable time. Last season I improved that time by about 15 seconds and got 32nd in Pro. I belive my time was close to 6 seconds faster than the winner in the AM class. Its supposed to be a tough class and it definatly is. I don't know if the winning time for AM would have even made it into the top 50 in the pro field.
That made up my mind on what class to race. Allthough qualifying in pro would be a good accomplishment. Dom, what class did PJ race and how did he do? I can easily hang with him at Platty and stuff... (Diablo is different though, he RIPS there)

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
Fury said:
How far back was the last qualifier off the fastest qualifier's time last year?
Here is a list from the finals http://diablofreeridepark.com/images/pdf/2005_US_OPEN_FINALS.PDF
I don't think the qualifying results were ever posted online, but I do think the pro cut off time was around the 3:25 range (some of the times were really close and I think someone lost out by a few thousandths of a second). Not to sure about the Am cut off.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
So they take the top 60 in the pro qualifying field? Im considering registering in the pro field just to try it out. I don't care much for the prizes in AM and it'd be nice to practice in the pro field even if I didn't make the qualifying. So how soon to qualifying is the pro final? If you don't qualify do you miss out on a whole days worth of practice?

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
biker3 said:
So they take the top 60 in the pro qualifying field? Im considering registering in the pro field just to try it out. I don't care much for the prizes in AM and it'd be nice to practice in the pro field even if I didn't make the qualifying. So how soon to qualifying is the pro final? If you don't qualify do you miss out on a whole days worth of practice?
Practice friday, qualifiers saturday, registration lift tickets are only valid friday and saturday, if you qualify, you get a lift ticket to race on sunday, if you dont, then most people buy lift tickets and ride all of the other dope trails.

Dan

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
IntensedhRider said:
Whats up with the dates of the event? Its a thursday and friday? I really wanna come out, but It seems that airfare has gone up.
Friday Sat and Sunday I bleieve, Memorial Day Weekend...

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
DS Dom said:
Here is a list from the finals http://diablofreeridepark.com/images/pdf/2005_US_OPEN_FINALS.PDF
I don't think the qualifying results were ever posted online, but I do think the pro cut off time was around the 3:25 range (some of the times were really close and I think someone lost out by a few thousandths of a second). Not to sure about the Am cut off.
I think you are correct on the cut time. A teammate (Chuck Conlen) of mine missed the cut by less than a second. That sucked.

I think the fastest qualifing time was around a 2:55. There were a ton of guys in the 3:15 range.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Few! I had been wondering on the course length.....Its a relief to see a shorter course (i am fat, i know)

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
Does anyone see a problem with with racing am for the Open even thou I'm racing pro for the Domination Series?? I finished 9th in am at last years Open & did well during the season in am w/ the series. It's a tuff decision with the talent field in both classes. Either way will be fun and I guess it would be cool to ride with the big boys even thou I'll be put in my place rather quick!!

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
woof said:
Does anyone see a problem with with racing am for the Open even thou I'm racing pro for the Domination Series?? I finished 9th in am at last years Open & did well during the season in am w/ the series. It's a tuff decision with the talent field in both classes. Either way will be fun and I guess it would be cool to ride with the big boys even thou I'll be put in my place rather quick!!
If your racing Pro in the Domination series then it would probably be in your best interest to race Pro at the US Open. If you think your fast enough for the pro field then I guess your looking to drop down to Am just to get a piece of the pie at the big event?

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
DS Dom said:
If your racing Pro in the Domination series then it would probably be in your best interest to race Pro at the US Open. If you think your fast enough for the pro field then I guess your looking to drop down to Am just to get a piece of the pie at the big event?
But of course, I love pie.

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
Transcend said:
That's called sandbagging. Don't be a moron, race pro.:rolleyes:
So pro it is. It's just scary making the expert to pro move. Last year was my first year racing & I started expert, so I certainly don't consider myself a sandbagger. Looks like it's off the the gym for me if I want to keep up w/ you & dom............

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
So anybody who has a chance to win AM is a sandbagger.

The US open is differnet beast than most races, much higher level of competitions than the Diablo series and both classes are getting more and more competitive. Somebody like woof stands no chance in pro but if he races AM he has a chance to be a contender. I would race AM.

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
CBJ said:
So anybody who has a chance to win AM is a sandbagger.

The US open is differnet beast than most races, much higher level of competitions than the Diablo series and both classes are getting more and more competitive. Somebody like woof stands no chance in pro but if he races AM he has a chance to be a contender. I would race AM.

There is a certain transition period that must take place at sometime. You can't simply make the transition and expect to be winning unless you are one of the few very gifted riders. Last season I had no chance at Pro but I would have blown the winning Am time away. So with your idea I should have raced Am since I had no chance in pro. Heck, Duncan Riffle was the cut off for getting payed in pro. Houseman, Van Dine, Neethlin, O'Donnell and a few others were all behind the cut for money. If your going to race Pro in the Domination series you should also race Pro in the Open. If you want to race AM, then go for it, but don't race pro and then drop down to Am for your chance to get payed.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
CBJ said:
I was just trying to bring a little dimension into the discusion after Trenscend's friendly and educational moron comment.
He races pro when it suits, then am when he thinks he can get a payday. That is sandbagging, plain and simple. It's also pretty sad.

jus

Chimp
Nov 3, 2004
If i was racing I think I'd have a go at pro.... but Mount Tremblant is a must. Hopefully US Open is in the cards for next year.

Which top pro's will be racing seeing as how there's the WC that weekend? I'm sure Hill won't miss Fort Bill to try and keep his US Open title....?

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
jus said:
If i was racing I think I'd have a go at pro.... but Mount Tremblant is a must. Hopefully US Open is in the cards for next year.

Which top pro's will be racing seeing as how there's the WC that weekend? I'm sure Hill won't miss Fort Bill to try and keep his US Open title....?
If you didn't race pro I'd kick you in the nuts. And screw the Canadian Series, there is no series... it's just a bunch of upper-level races now, isn't it?

jus

Chimp
Nov 3, 2004
I'm not too sure exactly how everything is working out Fury.... I was told by "the boss's" that Tremblant is a must.... You should come keep me company....lol