Quantcast

Uber-grippy flats recommendation

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I need some new ones. Ideally I'm after silly light and silly thin too. Oh and cheap! ;)

Tried some Straitlines a few weeks ago and loved them, but they're not exactly thin or light.

Like the look of the new plastic nukeproofs as ticking the light/thin/cheap boxes, but not sure how grippy they'll actually be - need to find some to try.

DMR Vaults and Spank Spikes both look pretty good. Not cheap though.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Mags is what I have at the moment, with ti axles. They don't last long before pins get ripped out. I have three sets in fact - one for each bike, and whenever the ones on my DH bike get too shredded I switch them out for others. I now have 3 sets that are missing enough pins to be a problem.

Might get some http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=276, even lighter (though marginally) and the pins might last longer with the different design.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
You are not quite in the realm of cheap then any more. Also, I think it's because of the nature of magnesium, that the pins tear out so easily, so I'm doubtful a new pin design will help a lot.

Might as well try the DMR Vault's in stead? (I dont think the Spie's are in stock yet)

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I know the Point1 Podiums are expensive, but I highly recommend them. Light, thin, strong, and purdy.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
For cheap you cant go wrong with HT/Kona Wah Wah/Zillion other brands (nuke proof and superstar probably too). Only slightly less grippy than my twenty6 with much less lost pins and mashed shins (they can cut your leg open just by walking with the bike...)

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
nukeproofs get my vote, tried the crampons briefly and found the humps for the bearings a little uncomfortable.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Last edited:
X2

Slammed several rocks and not lost footing yet as well as my shins arent hamburger since swapping over to them. No you dont feel the axle its not blunt or intrusive to footing. Maybe for a xcr but for dh fr they are spot on.
2+ years now abising them, not cheap but definently get the job done.:thumb:

I've had around 2 years on these also, great pedal, the only down side is if you are riding in alot of mud - they tend to hold mud on the pedal opposed to a more open design that allow the mud to clear.

project_d

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
SoCal
honestly, Kona Wahwah's. What an underrated pedal. A pair canadian costs 80 bucks retail, they are thin as the current trend goes, sealed and have super grippy small machine screws.

sicklines review

http://www.sicklines.com/2008/02/18/kona-wah-wah-pedals/
Agreed. I haved used Wellgos, Crank Bros, Truvativ, Specialized, and a few others. The Kona Wah-Wahs are pretty darn sticky. Plus, they run a bit wider, so they feel great!

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Agreed. I haved used Wellgos, Crank Bros, Truvativ, Specialized, and a few others. The Kona Wah-Wahs are pretty darn sticky. Plus, they run a bit wider, so they feel great!
I've been wanting to replace my wah-wahs for a while now, there's a couple pins missing, they're pretty well beat up, and I really want something new and bling. So far I haven't been able to find anything currently available that ticks all boxes. I'm waiting for the Spank Spikes to be in stock, those will probably be my next pedal. They were supposed to be available August 1st but have been pushed back to late Aug, early Sept now.

phycoref

Chimp
Oct 6, 2010
Canada
I have a set of Straitline pedals and they are great! If you want lighter then wait for the Straitline AMP pedals, should be the same amazing Canadian made quality pedal but lighter.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
PO1NT with long pins front and back.
If you're going cheap, KOWA do the same pedal as the Wah Wah with decent amount more metal removed but not stupid like Black Spires version. And the Kowas have good pin size and quantity also.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
I know they are very pricy. But Twenty6 are stupidly grippy, light and very thin (not as much as some of the new ones)

I got mine off Ebay for £90 not used :-)

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I've been wanting to replace my wah-wahs for a while now, there's a couple pins missing, they're pretty well beat up, and I really want something new and bling. So far I haven't been able to find anything currently available that ticks all boxes. I'm waiting for the Spank Spikes to be in stock, those will probably be my next pedal. They were supposed to be available August 1st but have been pushed back to late Aug, early Sept now.
same. love my wah wah's and love that i can get replacement pins from the hardware store 4 blocks away, but want to give the spank's a try. bummer they've been moved back again, a week ago i was told by spank they would be out end of this month.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I know the Point1 Podiums are expensive, but I highly recommend them. Light, thin, strong, and purdy.
I love mine,I've hit them on rocks quite a few times,no broken pins and the axle assembly feels still tight and smooth as the day I took em out the box.

Everyone is also always like "wat kinda pedals are those!!!!!!!!"

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
As much as I love my Point1 pedals, my wahwahs feel more grippy and as a result live on my dh bike. For half the price and a small weight penalty, wah wahs are the best imo.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I'm questioning if having the thinnest pedal is worth losing the valuable concave shape which I think helps with grip and comfort.
On an unrelated note, how about those new specialized pedals?

dsrider

Chimp
Feb 4, 2010
i love my Deity Decoys and the fact you can rebuild them for cheap and all under 75 dollars. works great with my 510s

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Ive been using NRG peddles for a few seasons now on both my DH and AM/XC rig and I love them, thin, light very durable and the pins are easy to replace. Not to expensive either, and all the bearings are easily replaceable.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
copies of kona wah are good.. i have superstar version.

pedals wear out, so cheap but grippy one is good one to go for.

deity/nukeproof plastic look nice enough and priced low!