Quantcast

UCI rule changes for 2007

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
how hard can it be for the UCI to make up their mind regarding this?

im assuming that also means that the ranking wont be zeroed after jan 1st like now

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It will be hard to collect 20 uci points anywhere. Vitox probably knows for sure, but an e2 race only gives 10 points to the winner and goes 1o deep I think. An E1 race gives 20 points and goes 20 deep.

That right Vic? If so...it is going to be ridiculous to get gravity points from here on out. XC should be a bit easier due to more races.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
It will be hard to collect 20 uci points anywhere. Vitox probably knows for sure, but an e2 race only gives 10 points to the winner and goes 1o deep I think. An E1 race gives 20 points and goes 20 deep.

That right Vic? If so...it is going to be ridiculous to get gravity points from here on out. XC should be a bit easier due to more races.
Bah...that just means you have to ride really really fast....pffft....easy.

:brow: :huh: :twitch:

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)

So you could race XC, get your 20 points and downhill in the world cup events? :banana:

hahaha i totally just pulled that out of my ass. :ban:

Am i right though?

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
So you could race XC, get your 20 points and downhill in the world cup events? :banana:

hahaha i totally just pulled that out of my ass. :ban:

Am i right though?
No 4X, DH, and XC all have different points. In order to race World Cup DH apparently you must have 20 UCI DH points.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Bummer, I was hoping to try qualifiers at MSA this coming season.

I'm still sort of a noob when it comes to racing politics so cut me some slack, but wouldn't this leave all of top-riders scrambling to get points just to make the first WC race? Seems like sort of an inconvienence for racers, and not good news to up-n-coming riders with talent who are trying to get experience.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Maybe it will shock US racing into putting on some legitimate events worth UCI points. Maybe, but probably not. And even if they do, it will probably just bring more foreign riders with american sponsors over and we still wont be able to get points.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
There goes my dreams of wasting time and money on not qualifying for a world cup sometime soon:D

Why do they constantly want to keep enthusiastic pros away. Our sport is still so micro... it's not yet at a level where you need to have races for the elite of the elite. The Greg Minaars of our sport are simply just not, the Tiger Woods of the sporting world.

I give the "bend over and take it" rating.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Ah ok, that makes more sense..where is the 20 point cutoff tho..5th place?

here heres the catch....

its 2nd place.!

and in class 1 its 5th place

in the continental champs its 20 points for 26th place.

early march in argentina would be the easiest place to get points for the world cup.

im not really sure what this rule change means, i mean, how hard can it be to finally decide on that issue, i think they are trying to change more than just the number of riders that enter the world cup, but with those yearly changes (and underlying short horizon planning) in rules i think no profound changes can be effectively implemented.

i just looked at the ranking and as of now, 380 riders have 20 points, but im sure this figure will be much lower at the start of the first world cup, so why should there be less ppl entering the first wc's and more in the latter ones? that doesnt make much sense.

ride2.5

Chimp
Nov 29, 2006
Maybe it will shock US racing into putting on some legitimate events worth UCI points. Maybe, but probably not. And even if they do, it will probably just bring more foreign riders with american sponsors over and we still wont be able to get points.

Is that how they decide... So we have a hard time getting points because most of our races suck?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili

you know, and i have "some" experience with this, its not hard at all to get UCI points, i actually think the local race organizers arent all that aware of this fact.

i just checked, and a class2 race will run you 2267usd for uci fees, and pro mens and womens prize money. w/o points for the girls (might not be awarded anyway if too few entrants) this drops to 1434usd. thats not too bad i think, i mean, its got to bring some attention or am i wrong?

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
There are currently slightly more than 300 people in the world that have more than 20 DH UCI points. I would guess that a decent portion of these individuals get their points at World Cup races themselves.

I assume that all of the pre- World Cup season races that offer UCI points will be dominated by the people who would place top 20 in the World Cup anyway. These points will continue to be grabbed up by the same racers throughout the pre season, leaving only a handfull of individuals even eligible to race the first World Cup round. Once the World Cup season starts the same trend will continue and there will probably only be 50- 60 individuals throughout the world who could be considered eliglble to compete in any event on the World Cup calendar. This number would be even less when you consider how many of these individuals will commit to traveling to the entire schedule. This seems like a great way for the UCI and the individual World Cup promoters to lose a lot of money.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Yea, way to advance our sport.

And for me, I'm a bit older than you so it obviously has less of an impact. But for you younger guys, it really sucks ass.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
you know, and i have "some" experience with this, its not hard at all to get UCI points, i actually think the local race organizers arent all that aware of this fact.

i just checked, and a class2 race will run you 2267usd for uci fees, and pro mens and womens prize money. w/o points for the girls (might not be awarded anyway if too few entrants) this drops to 1434usd. thats not too bad i think, i mean, its got to bring some attention or am i wrong?
Everyone seems to think that the UCI just hates the US. It seems that the individual race promoters are just ignorant of the rules and/ or are greedy and want to profit more by not paying the UCI for points status. The last time points were required to register for the World Cup there was one promoter nationwide that went through the steps to offer UCI points. This effort was strictly because they understood that the less US racers with UCI points the less people there would be that registered for the World Cup. And that the US racers wanted to race in a US World Cup round and they would be willing to take the extra step and search for these points in order to compete. With the demand there that individual promoter took the additional steps to secure UCI points.

Once the rules changed and points were no longer required no US race promoters continued to step up to the plate and offer UCI points. Maybe this angered the UCI?

The demand for races with points is obviously there. The promoters now need to take the necessary steps to offer the points. Problem is, the US is full of extraordinarilly fast international pros who will grab up the available points before the US riders will.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
i think if they zero the points at years end it would mean way too few euros would be able to race at all. theres just a handful of races with points before the first world cup, and save for one in england, all are in portugal and spain.

ill believe it when i see it.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Jeremiah, or wait, didn't you loose that name.

Dylan, quit sending me these emails. I about **** a brick when I saw this latest news. I have been planing on doing the MSA world cup race and was hoping to be able to make it out to Europe for the Vigo and Champery races as well. I figured that there was no way I could have 20 UCI points.
I searched through the UCI ranking towards the bottom and couldn't find my name. I knew I had at least one point. The brick was developing into a much larger piece of **** until I realized that I had 29 points. I have no clue how I got this many, but I'm not going to complain.

326 270 SHANBHAG Sanjay USA19821004 USA 24 29

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Well, if this turns out to be true, it will suck.

Why would they impose this and what posssible benefit can this have on the WC?

It's bad enough that we have been neglected by the likes of NORBA in the US and the CCA in Canada for sometime now, so now it's up to UCI to try and trample on our sport some more.

It's not like there are thousands of people lining up for these races why impose such limitations ? As some have suggested this will be especially hard on the up and coming young racers, does the UCI not realize that this where the future lies.

Looks like they want to turn the World Cup Circuit into some kind of travelling road show for a few priviliged members.

It makes no sense from a financial point nor does it do anything but hinder the progression of DH racing IMHO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

Dylan, quit sending me these emails. I about **** a brick when I saw this latest news. I have been planing on doing the MSA world cup race and was hoping to be able to make it out to Europe for the Vigo and Champery races as well. I figured that there was no way I could have 20 UCI points.
I searched through the UCI ranking towards the bottom and couldn't find my name. I knew I had at least one point. The brick was developing into a much larger piece of **** until I realized that I had 29 points. I have no clue how I got this many, but I'm not going to complain.

Sanjay, according to this latest news, they are zeroing the points on Dec 31. IE: You will have to get 20 points between Jan 1 2007 and the first WC you wish to do.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Sanjay, according to this latest news, they are zeroing the points on Dec 31. IE: You will have to get 20 points between Jan 1 2007 and the first WC you wish to do.
From my understanding if you have 20 UCI points by the end of this year then you are set for the World Cup next year. If not then you need to get 20 points somewhere.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
That's what i thought too, hopefully this is just badly worded.

"Riders must have 20 UCI points to be eligible to race in a 2007 World Cup event. Those 20 points can be accumulated as of 12/31/06 or in 2007."

ride2.5

Chimp
Nov 29, 2006

Just click your name to see how you got them. ...It's actually kind of interesting to see how many points are assigned to each event. For instance the winner of the US national got 110 points and 10 place got 25

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I count ten american riders with 25 or more points at the moment. More importantly, Cole Bangert is currently the second ranked american in the world! woohoo! Fraser, the wording of that does not necessarily imply that the points will be zeroed.

"Riders must have 20 UCI points to be eligible to race in a 2007 World Cup event. Those 20 points can be accumulated as of 12/31/06 or in 2007."

The "as of" in that case should mean that the points were accumulated prior to that date. I could also see how they could have been trying to say "Those 20 points can begin to accumulate as of 12/31/06 or in 2007." It's definately nebulous. Im leaning towards the first option because of the "or in 2007," which would be repetitive if they were trying to say the points are going to be zeroed. Let us know if you get any further clarification on that.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
"Hi everyone,

I wanted to clarify one of the rule changes for 2007. Riders must have 20 UCI points to be eligible to race in a 2007 World Cup event. Those 20 points can be accumulated as of 12/31/06 or in 2007. If you have 20 UCI points by the end of this year then you are set for the first World Cup next year. This is for ALL disciplines.

Please forward this on to anyone that may be considering racing a World Cup next year.

Thanks

Alison Dunlap "
Straight from the Decline

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
i just want to know why the UCI feels the need to change this rule every flipping year. a little consistency in their rules would go a long way, as well as a little warning. where is the logic in making this announcement in december of the current racing year AFTER the season is over. this is the sort of thing that should be communicated at the beginning of the season and take effect the following year so riders can plan accordingly. how many people got a few points this year and figured they were safe. it's a legitimate rule, but the timing is crap.

not sure how i'm going to get 17pts by the end of june:huh:

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
okai thats better, still not what i would call in the best interest of the world cup or racing as a whole.

what this means is that its no longer enough to have snatched a couple points here and there (getting 3 or 4 points at many races doesnt work because only 4 class2 races add towards your ranking at any given moment) to be able to race the world cup, you have to have placed decently at a major race like a UCI national championship, continental championship, or have been up there at a class 1 race, or podiumed at class 2's in order to get the 20 points.

this is actually a throwback to say 5 years ago when there were MUCH fewer races with uci points and they gave out much fewer points.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
this kills a lot of peoples plans for 07 :disgust1:

just seals the deal for masters worlds for me, if the cancellation
of AF WC didn't.

MSA might get a full rider list but i remember durango WC didn't even have enough to matter in the qualifier.

THIS IS THe dumbest move ever for wc in the Americas.
its different over here not like Europe. this should only be a
Euro rule. no points in Americas would have been smarter.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
not sure how i'm going to get 17pts by the end of june:huh:
i was curious to see where you got your points.....you got 3 points for finishing 131 out of 138 at MSA.......?........i thought you had to at least qualify to get points......you shouldn't get points just for paying an entry fee....

If they were giving points away like that last year you might see 400 racers at the Vigo world cup.....that's not what world cups are for IMO, maybe they are trying to clean up the fields.