Quantcast

UCI stuff

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
vitox said:
yes as of april 2005 (rumor has it in order to not have "us slow south americans" clog down the wc racing in brazil) you do again need 1 UCI point to race the world cup.
you can look up the calendar at www.uci.ch for races that have points, "class 2" races give points to the first 10 elite, "class 1" to the first 20, "class super1" to the first 30.

also, when you are racing an UCI race, not necessarily a WC but any race registered with the UCI, abroad, its supposedly required to get a permit from your national federation (if you are part of it) for racing.

from what i can see on the calendar youd have to go to new zealand or here to chile for my race in order to get points before the WC season. sea otter apparently is not registered for UCI points.

UCI category 2 races must meet a minimum purse. You can't even get UCI points at a US national race, since there is no prize money...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
vitox said:
yes as of april 2005 (rumor has it in order to not have "us slow south americans" clog down the wc racing in brazil) you do again need 1 UCI point to race the world cup.
you can look up the calendar at www.uci.ch for races that have points, "class 2" races give points to the first 10 elite, "class 1" to the first 20, "class super1" to the first 30.

also, when you are racing an UCI race, not necessarily a WC but any race registered with the UCI, abroad, its supposedly required to get a permit from your national federation (if you are part of it) for racing.

from what i can see on the calendar youd have to go to new zealand or here to chile for my race in order to get points before the WC season. sea otter apparently is not registered for UCI points.
And as of January 2006, it has been reversed.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Transcend said:
And as of January 2006, it has been reversed.

ah well then i guess the rumor was correct.
didnt do much good as there werent even close to 80 racers in camboriu (meaning the semifinal was actually a seeding run) and the brazilian federation somehow still managed to register a couple of dismally slow racers.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Zutroy said:
USAC is one type (norba or uscf) $60
Adding in the other is another $30
NCCA Collegiate is $30
Jr Lic are $30 I think
international is $150

I think you have to get an International Lic if your a pro now.
do pros who only do norbas have to get int license to?

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
BC VAN said:
do pros who only do norbas have to get int license to?
For some reason, the answer is yes. I actually know some pro's (who now mainly ride street and do freeride comp's) that have not raced a few local races that they would like to because it would cost them $200+ to race the first one with the license.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
that would make the chilean federation charging 40usd sound pretty cheap, ill make a point of that next time i meet with them.

150usd kinda steep huh.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
$80 CDN for us this year if you register before sometime in March. Thats a UCI license but we can only use it to race DH (and 4X). If I wanted to do XC and DH I would need to buy the highest price license ($140 CDN or something).

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Do people know if you need a specific licence to race at the world masters? Is the plain old 60$ norba license good enough or do I need something else?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Mani_UT said:
Do people know if you need a specific licence to race at the world masters? Is the plain old 60$ norba license good enough or do I need something else?

I'd check the website for the race. Some Canadian provinces seem to accept USAC licenses, some sell you one day provincial's. They may want a UCI for this event though.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
OK, so I need to sign up for Vigo, Ft. William, and Willingen through USAC. Great. I requested a letter of permission, but since my emails haven't been answered (yet... sent last Tuesday and Thursday) I just requested one from January through July for Spain. This will make the Maxxis Cups (Spanish and a couple of the international ones) do-able, as long as I get the letter. Are they pretty loose with these letters of permission? I know I need three, but you can only request one at a time. Baby steps, I guess.

What are the chances USAC won't let me race the world cups? Do they still remember how to register riders for them? How many Americans are even planning on making it to those races? I've got some great results from Semi-pro, but that doesn't get any respect these days. Hopefully they'll be cool. Anyone else got any experience with entering world cups?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
It's ridiculous, but unless we actually get the cojones to start our own series, which is up to you, me, and the rest of the downhill and XC world, we have to play by their rules. Kinda sucks. Now just imagine international politics. Dizzam.

Dufault01

Chimp
Nov 10, 2005
bikenweed said:
What are the chances USAC won't let me race the world cups? Do they still remember how to register riders for them? How many Americans are even planning on making it to those races? I've got some great results from Semi-pro, but that doesn't get any respect these days. Hopefully they'll be cool. Anyone else got any experience with entering world cups?

Well I know here in Ontario if you want to race the WC in st. anne or anywhere else for that matter you have to write a letter and get permission. Without permission they arent going to let you race. In one of the cases over here there was a jr. who had gotten his pro liscense issued and was signed up for st. Anne and was actually on the startlist when he got there. However he didnt have a WC point so they didnt let him race.

Now Ive heard two things, one says the point system is gone and another more reliable sourse saying that it is still here. If it is still here, make sure you have a point before going because they won't let your race without it. Im not sure how the semi-pro system works but Im fairly sure that you cant get WC points by racing in it. That would make sense too, because you should have to be in the pro field before even being considered to race a WC.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Just got an email from UCI. USAC registers you for world cups, and it´s the only way they´ll have it. So now that I´ve requested a letter of permission, and gotten no response, I´m emailing USAC. Wish me luck. If anyone else is hoping to race a world cup this year or any other, hopefully this will help you.

The one point minimum rule is no longer in effect. I´ve read most of the rule book, and the most it can cost to enter a World Cup is $46 American dollars. Hopefully this all works out!

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
bikenweed said:
OK, so I need to sign up for Vigo, Ft. William, and Willingen through USAC. Great. I requested a letter of permission, but since my emails haven't been answered (yet... sent last Tuesday and Thursday) I just requested one from January through July for Spain. This will make the Maxxis Cups (Spanish and a couple of the international ones) do-able, as long as I get the letter. Are they pretty loose with these letters of permission? I know I need three, but you can only request one at a time. Baby steps, I guess.

No one from the US really raced any Euro world cups last year, strait and baloochi are the ones i can remember seeing in the rankings for DH.

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Much as it was discussed above, USAC just posted an announcement on their website on how to officially sign-up for World Cups.

http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=2056

Also, in regards to licenses, it appears that only Pros have to only obtain an International License to race NORBA events. For Semi Pros and down, you can obtain the typical NORBA license, but if you decide to do a UCI race, all you have to do is pay the incremental amount.

International (Pro) License = $150
Adult License = $60
Junior License = $30

Current NORBA license holder adding on Int'l License = $90
Current Jr. NORBA license holder adding on Int'l License = $120

http://www.usacycling.org/forms/license_app.pdf
http://www.usacycling.org/forms/intl_license.pdf

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Pbody said:
Much as it was discussed above, USAC just posted an announcement on their website on how to officially sign-up for World Cups.

http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=2056

Also, in regards to licenses, it appears that only Pros have to only obtain an International License to race NORBA events. For Semi Pros and down, you can obtain the typical NORBA license, but if you decide to do a UCI race, all you have to do is pay the incremental amount.

International (Pro) License = $150
Adult License = $60
Junior License = $30

Current NORBA license holder adding on Int'l License = $90
Current Jr. NORBA license holder adding on Int'l License = $120

http://www.usacycling.org/forms/license_app.pdf
http://www.usacycling.org/forms/intl_license.pdf
all the prize money hoopla aside...and i know i should already know this, but does anyone know if there is any more service that you get from a international license (pro) compared to a adult license? say more insurance coverage or something?

don't turn it into a hugh norba bash deal we've done it here a million times. just curious if there is any reason for such a big difference?

in the past my teams have gotten the license stuff handled so i was surprised to see the difference in amounts.

Bati

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Santiago - Chile
Well, now than everybody has his license, take another $1200 and come to race in Valparaiso (Feb 19th), get your UCI point(s) and have a great hollidays.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
BC VAN said:
all the prize money hoopla aside...and i know i should already know this, but does anyone know if there is any more service that you get from a international license (pro) compared to a adult license? say more insurance coverage or something?

don't turn it into a hugh norba bash deal we've done it here a million times. just curious if there is any reason for such a big difference?

in the past my teams have gotten the license stuff handled so i was surprised to see the difference in amounts.
Nothing really different about them, other than the UCI stuff, and being in the system.

What i'd really like to know if why they've gotten so expensive period.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Here in Spain the locals pay 60 euro for a UCI International license. Not bad, considering that works as a national license as well.

EDIT: NORBA HATES YOU. Sad but true.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
berkshire_rider said:
Did they hard code your post count at 2? I count 7 posts on this page 1 alone............
Actually Acadian's post count increment every 10 000 posts... Otherwise it was messing with the page set up the number being too big :D

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
BC Van,

Sure you get your picture laminated on the back of the license, and incase you forgot your team name it is printed right there on the license, What a deal!