Quantcast

Uh oh, another car thread...

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Well it seems that I'll be getting a new car in the next few weeks-month. (between now and New Years more than likely) and I'm looking for something economical, not too expensive, and something with a decent amount of power and is fairly reliable. I've got about $1k, there's about $2k in savings, and my mom said that she'll let me borrow about $3k but I HAVE to pay her back. So, the budget's like 5-6k. Mostly just looking at cars in the paper for now, here's what I've found thus far, just wondering what your guys' experience on these cars are.
(what it states in the newspaper ads)
98 Civic Dx Coupe - 5spd, black, 88k miles, $5500.

00 Focus ZX3 - 74k miles, 28/35 mpg, black, lowered, rims, new brakes & tires, 5spd, PW/PL, $6000

98 Beetle - white, new tires and brakes, 5spd, loaded, good condition, $5900

For me, the Focus would probably be first choice, although I can't say I know much about the Fords. The Honda would obviously be an excellent choice as long as it was in good condition since those things last forever. I don't know too much about the Beetle either, not positive I'd really want to own one :p but I rode in a friend's and her's was pretty zippy.

Any input is highly appreciated. :) Thanks.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
I'd go with the honda. the thing will last forever and I'm almost positive you can get it for 4k (saves you 1.5). Also, if you are even slightly mechanically inclined, pick up the haynes manual for it and you can do all the minor labor yourself saving you even more money in the long run.

Andy_B

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
whereabouts unknown
SkaredShtles said:
'00 Focus was the first year of production. I'd personally avoid a first year model.

I'd recommend the Honda. It's hard to go wrong with a Honda, assuming it hasn't been driven like a race car.

The 1st year Focus had something like 23 safety recalls ,a new record :think: . I would stay away from that, unless you are 150% sure that they have all been fixed. But then again more gremlins will arise in the future....

VW is a chick car... so if your a chick then ok...

I would get the Honda.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Thanks for the input. I think I'll definitely look into the Honda first.

That's why I said I wasn't sure I wanted the VW, sicne that would be kinda weird, since, I'm not a chick. :p

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Jimmy_Pop said:
VW's are horrible headaches. You'll be chasing stupid crap like broken window motors, headlights that burn out ETC.

Avoid VW all together.
:stupid:

My VW Jetta is now retired as my "bike carrier" it's got 160,000 miles on it and is falling apart. As the dealer said "VW's aren't really designed to go that far."

I just bought my 3rd Honda (an Acura) and got it cause I knew it wouldn't break.

Civics will go forever but-

1. Their air conditioners suck
2. Their brakes really suck
3. The engines are weak (very low torque)

Palilla

Monkey
Jul 20, 2004
Jimmy_Pop said:
VW's are horrible headaches. You'll be chasing stupid crap like broken window motors, headlights that burn out ETC.

That's a pretty big generalization. Why all the hate? I've put 130,000k on my GTI with no problems out of the ordinary. Keep up with maintenance and you won't have any issues.

The Honda is a torque less piece of crap. Put a roof rack on it and another person in the car and even small hills you’ll be shifting into third on the highway.

If I were you, look for a 3rd generation GTI/Golf with either the 2.0L or VR6. You can find them for your price range and it will eat a civic DX all day. Plus you’ll have more interior room, better handling, and the interior won’t be a POS.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
X3 on the vdub. 99 was the first MY of the NB and they were crappier than other years.
Weve had 3 A4 VWs (the last model), my wife two and my one, and our experience with them will steer us away from ever buying a VW again.
coil packs, transmissions, windows falling into doors, radios, etc

The A4 model single handedly killed VW's quality reputation

:nuts:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Palilla said:
That's a pretty big generalization. Why all the hate? I've put 130,000k on my GTI with no problems out of the ordinary. Keep up with maintenance and you won't have any issues.
You *might* not have any issues. But compared to a Honda there really isn't any comparison.

The Honda is a torque less piece of crap. Put a roof rack on it and another person in the car and even small hills you’ll be shifting into third on the highway.

If I were you, look for a 3rd generation GTI/Golf with either the 2.0L or VR6. You can find them for your price range and it will eat a civic DX all day. Plus you’ll have more interior room, better handling, and the interior won’t be a POS.
You might be surprised to find that some people aren't hung up on power. :rolleyes:

Besides - what kind of mileage does the GTI with the VR6 get? The Honda should provide 35 mpg at the worst.

Andy_B

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
whereabouts unknown
Palilla said:

I have owned 2 of them. 1st a 1989 GTI 16V which was good. My 1997 VW Jetta VR6 as a night-mere... It had electrical gremlins, it went through CV's like they were going out of style, tons of wind noise, Interior fell-apart, new head light bulbs every 3 months (piaa, eurolights, factory) Rear deck lid leaked like a siv, Parts cost a ton, after 100k it had phantom rattles in the IP and 3 doors.

Palilla

Monkey
Jul 20, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
You *might* not have any issues. But compared to a Honda there really isn't any comparison.

You might be surprised to find that some people aren't hung up on power. :rolleyes:

Besides - what kind of mileage does the GTI with the VR6 get? The Honda should provide 35 mpg at the worst.
Where are you getting your comparisons from? Everyone makes assumptions, fact is not EVERY vw on the road is having the issues that the MkIV have been plagued with. The MkIII vw's have a solid track record.

You might be surprised if you've owned or even driven both cars, the standard 1.6L (non-vtech) and the standard 2.0L should not be compared. The 1.6L in the DX is a very weak engine. The gas mileage is 3-5mpg better at BEST. But if you want to get the same performance out the two cars the the vw will get just as good gas mileage.

Now more torque/horsepower is not a powertrip thing when it comes to these size of engines, but driveability is. The vw 2.0L is a much more driveable engine than the 1.6L is. Really they can't even be compared. The VW makes anywhere from 10-25ftlbs or torque more, and not only does it make more, but it makes more at lower RPM's. If you've ever driven the DX you would know that you have to run it at higher RPM's then you would the vw for everyday driving. The thing does not produce it's peak torque until the upper RPM ranges where as the vw produces at the lower to mid-range. It is a more DRIVER FRIENDLY car.

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
Cooter Brown said:
yeah, go with the honda, I have a 97 Civic EX with 180k miles on it and it's still going strong. I wish it was a standard though
:stupid: My 96 LX has 182K on it. Still strong and tight (handling wise). There are a few interior rattles etc., but I just turn up the radio. Super reliable, I bought it with 103K from our accountant here at my office. At about 110K it was stolen and I believe hammered. There is a piston head that is loose and causes a clicking noise that was derived from the theft (joy ride, LOL). To this day the clicking is there, but performance is there and I still 32-38 mpg (5 spd) on the highway. I just let it warm up a bit longer than I would normally. Get the Civic. It is set and forget.....just add change the oil every 3K. I had a GTI that from the factory had deffects. About the only Ford I would drive would be a Mustang GT.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Palilla said:
Where are you getting your comparisons from? Everyone makes assumptions, fact is not EVERY vw on the road is having the issues that the MkIV have been plagued with. The MkIII vw's have a solid track record.

You might be surprised if you've owned or even driven both cars, the standard 1.6L (non-vtech) and the standard 2.0L should not be compared. The 1.6L in the DX is a very weak engine. The gas mileage is 3-5mpg better at BEST. But if you want to get the same performance out the two cars the the vw will get just as good gas mileage.

Now more torque/horsepower is not a powertrip thing when it comes to these size of engines, but driveability is. The vw 2.0L is a much more driveable engine than the 1.6L is. Really they can't even be compared. The VW makes anywhere from 10-25ftlbs or torque more, and not only does it make more, but it makes more at lower RPM's. If you've ever driven the DX you would know that you have to run it at higher RPM's then you would the vw for everyday driving. The thing does not produce it's peak torque until the upper RPM ranges where as the vw produces at the lower to mid-range. It is a more DRIVER FRIENDLY car.
You can argue all you want about driver friendly this, torque that. Bottom line:

Honda: excellent chance of car lasting 200+K miles.
VW: might last you 200+K, but you have a much better shot with the Honda.

For the record - I owned a VW product ('85 Audi 4000Q) that I loved - but the niggling things were annoying: window switches continually crapped out, power locks were unreliable, A/C died, door handles broke with alarming frequency.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Seems like the general concensus is the Civic, so I think I'll at least call that guy first this afternoon when my mom gets home. Is the DX terribly underpowered or is it just fine stock? I think i'd like to mod it a bit (not a whole ton, probably just bolt on stuff, CAI, exhaust, etc...) but just curious if it's HORRIBLY underpowered. I bet it'll be fine, it's not like I'm going to be racing it or anything. :p

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
Palilla said:
It is a more DRIVER FRIENDLY car.
tell that to Jane Dubber who has her car in the shop once a month for everything else

good engine != good car

Im not going off on how many times my family and my friends have had their VWs in the shop for 11ty bazillion things. VAG will never see another penny from me thats all. Make your own informed decisions by weeding out the BS and rhetoric

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
You'll be fine with the stock power. I haul 2 DH bikes and a whole f#ck ton of gear to races, the wife, and sometimes 2 giant yellow labs and while a powerhouse it is not, it does just fine. It's even hauled the bikes from here to Utah and back while stacked full of sh1t, and got 25+ mpg. And that's the automatic tranny, the standard will do even better

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
COmtbiker12 said:
Seems like the general concensus is the Civic, so I think I'll at least call that guy first this afternoon when my mom gets home. Is the DX terribly underpowered or is it just fine stock? I think i'd like to mod it a bit (not a whole ton, probably just bolt on stuff, CAI, exhaust, etc...) but just curious if it's HORRIBLY underpowered. I bet it'll be fine, it's not like I'm going to be racing it or anything. :p
I have had it loaded with 2 bikes a rocket box, camping sh$t up the azz and got like 28-32 on mountain roads. So I had to down shift into 3rd, what is the tranny for anyway? Its sole purpose in life is to go point A-B with good gas mileage and it is not a race car. Pretty simple.

EDIT: Not to make this into a pissing match, I use Yak racks on top. I have hauled a canoe, we use it for skiing (although I have to chain up which is a pain after having used my Tacoma pre-kid). The 4 door is very nice also for putting in a kid (a bit easier on the back).

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
right now I just have a trunk mount, and while it does/has done OK for 3 years now, I want to get a receiver hitch mount Yakima, although that entails me putting a hitch on the car too, not a big deal, just haven't done it yet

*edit* get the 4 door sedan if you can, that extra room makes all the difference in the world. not to mention, insurance will be cheaper

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
COmtbiker12 said:
It'll be fine. Hell, I used to drive an '81 Toyota Tercel and it worked just fine as transportation. Great gas mileage. Was absolute crap as far a "performance" goes, but I guess I didn't really care. Got me to work. Got me up to the mountains to ski/ride.

So maybe my point of reference is a bit skewed. ;)

Palilla

Monkey
Jul 20, 2004
Cooter Brown said:
You'll be fine with the stock power. I haul 2 DH bikes and a whole f#ck ton of gear to races, the wife, and sometimes 2 giant yellow labs and while a powerhouse it is not, it does just fine. It's even hauled the bikes from here to Utah and back while stacked full of sh1t, and got 25+ mpg. And that's the automatic tranny, the standard will do even better
You said you have an EX right? Totally different motor, VTEC vs. non-VTEC and a extremely different power curve...

COmtbiker12,

Go drive both and compare.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
COmtbiker12 said:
Thanks for the input. I think I'll definitely look into the Honda first.

That's why I said I wasn't sure I wanted the VW, sicne that would be kinda weird, since, I'm not a chick. :p

But it could help you to pick up chicks....you might want to reconsider

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
yeah they might be expensive but i recomend a japanes car, they are reliable and economical. They also have decent power and easy to modify if you are into that. the best part about it is that it does not matter any japanese car is better then non