Quantcast

uhh...bmx with a long travel fork?advantages and disadvantages

impure

Chimp
Mar 28, 2007
i am in a bit of a predicament her guys...i ride a gf ged and want to build me a urban assault and djing bike. i want to know if i am better off going with something like the banshee frame or azonics steelhead or should i get me something like a good bmx frame like a t1 or s&m? what would be the best setup for what i need. i will be doing some drops like 10 feet maybe more and a lot of gaps and clearing stuff. also...can any bmx become a long travel monster with any fork? sorry for the newb questions...i am new to mt bikes but come from bmx backrounds

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
ummmm, long travel fork + bmx frame = snapped headtube and/or really cool chopper to ride to the pub

xcursedx

Chimp
Mar 11, 2007
519 ( forrest city massive )
yeah it would be an easy way to learn front flips too, lol.

if you plan on doing big drops you'd be better off with a full suspension.

but if you plan on street riding as well, a quality street/dirt/park 24" or 26" hardtail with some dj's would do you good

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
i think maybey he means bmx as in a chromo street hardtail, like the steel head, or a doberman, or a top. but maybey he means a bmx. you never know these things.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
You should get a chromoly dirt jump/street mountain bike.

Here's some examples:

Transition TOP (trail or park)

Black Market Mob

Black Market Riot:
http://images.google.com/images?svnum=100&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=azonic+steelhead&btnG=Search+Images

Some other companies are .243 racing, Sinister, Evil, ...

If you've been riding bmx for a while, you are probably smooth enough, that these bikes would be fine for 10' drops to smoother landing. These would be good for street, dirt jumping, skateparks. If you want to do rougher drops and/or want something more confidence inspiring, a full suspension would be more forgiving.

xcursedx

Chimp
Mar 11, 2007
519 ( forrest city massive )
or should i get me something like a good bmx frame like a t1 or s&m?

--------------------------------------------------------------
no i think he is also thinking about a bmx with forks,

look at some of the complete dj/ street bikes

norco 250 , chromo p2 etc

snaky69

Monkey
Feb 10, 2007
Quebec, Canada
or should i get me something like a good bmx frame like a t1 or s&m?

--------------------------------------------------------------
no i think he is also thinking about a bmx with forks,

look at some of the complete dj/ street bikes

norco 250 , chromo p2 etc
BMX with a suspension fork is a big no-no. You'll throw off the geometry, shorten the frame's life(can you say snapped headtube) and you may have trouble with X-up clearance as well.

you're much better off on a mountain bike for what you're describing. You could get a 24''er so as to not make you feel too much out of your element. Think Tonic Fab Fall guy or Nemesis Project deathmobile or blk mrkt bikes.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
ha yes pic is real. my friend has had it for a while. its kind of retired right now. doc made a few of them back in the day.