Quantcast

Ultegra SL front derailleurs...anyone else having issues?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
The threaded nut that the cable pinch bolt threads into loses grip on the derailleur 'body', either keeping your from snugging the bolt, or loosening it. We've had 4 of them do this so far. King of annoying. Anyone else? I've only seen it happen on 2 Specialized Roubaixs (or maybe they were Rubies). The other 2, I'm not sure, I wasn't at the shop.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
If it is the threaded nut that is pressfit into the derailleur body, then please see my thread in the Mechanics Q&A. My solution? Have my buddy hook me up with a 105 replacement. No pressfit threaded nut on the 105=no problem.

Let me know if Shimano will warranty these babies. My road grouppo is kinda all jacked up now.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Those of us in service aren't really chipper with Specialized so far. SRAM cassettes are inferior to Shimano, the SWORKS chainrings, and now the Ultegra FD nut. the problem is that it's not scored at all...maybe it's a practice in proper torque on a cable pinch bolt? i don't know. if you or your shop can get it out, the way to solve the issue is to, with a pair of dikes, try and "cut" the outer flange, then press it back into the derailleur. the nut will act like the Campy chainring bolts...

we were told this buy a guy that was a mechanic for the US Nation track team. rather than shelling out for Campy bolts, he'd "cut" the edges of Shimano bolts and use them...$.50 vs. $5.

now, if you don't know how to get it out, use a saw and cut off the bolt head. that should free everything up. if you're careful, evertyhing but the bolt will be untouched. been there, done that. it sucks, but it's doable.

i'll call Shimano on Monday and see if they're taking any action.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
now, if you don't know how to get it out, use a saw and cut off the bolt head. that should free everything up. if you're careful, evertyhing but the bolt will be untouched. been there, done that. it sucks, but it's doable.

i'll call Shimano on Monday and see if they're taking any action.
Great info, thanks.

1) I am not nearly as mechanically inclined as you or most of the people on this site. Taking out bolts and working that kinda magic isn't my forte.

2) My Talon doesn't have downtube cable adjustment thingies, which would make your solution tough. I would need a 3rd hand to work either the bolt, screwdriver, or the cable tension. A S.O. could be convinced to lend a hand, but I don't have a wifey or girlfriend and my female roommate just doesn't look at me that way.

3) Shimano made a faulty derailleur. I want a replacement. Please keep us posted as to if Shimano will play warranty.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
2) My Talon doesn't have downtube cable adjustment thingies, which would make your solution tough. I would need a 3rd hand to work either the bolt, screwdriver, or the cable tension.
i think we had a miscommunication. what are you referring to?

though, i'll tell you, my System6 lacks a barrel adjuster, so i just threw in one of those in-line adjusters.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Shimano is warrantying the faulty FDs. They told me it's the bolt that's the issue, and not the nut. which makes sense, because the lastest one i was dealing with had a seized bolt.