Quantcast

Ultimate mega avalanche bike?

Redorange

Chimp
Jan 14, 2009
What would be perfect bike for mega avalanche? Something what pedals well? Lightweight? 6-7 inch suspension? Tell what is your choice..

And then the fork. Fox float 36 or something bigger, totem solo air?

phutphutend

Chimp
Nov 13, 2008
I've done the Mega twice, and done OK both times.

First time on a full on DH bike, 222. Second time on a Patriot with 36s. If i did it again i'd use my trail bike, a Cannondale Prophet (edit, typo before).

It really depends on how good at DH you are. If you're a good rider, you'd get away with a 5"-6" bike, with shortish forks and a lightweight build. If you're not too confidient you might appreciate some more travel on the rocky upper sections and the qualifying course.

For your bike the most important things are; an adjustable seatpost, thick tyres, strongish wheels and a wide range cassette.

The most important thing of all is that you are very fit. I nailed all the DH sections only to be overtaken by skinny XC dudes on the few climbs and flat sections. In a lot of places it's very hard to overtake on the downs but easy on the ups.

The other is that when you get there, get your snow technique down. This is where you can make up the most places. And don't be afraid to try a few hairy overtaking manouevres.

Last edited:

dondon

Monkey
Some guys used a DH bike for quali day, since there is less climbing now, just one flattish section with shortish climb. Then they switched to lighter bike for Mega day. I think this kind of goes against the spirit of the event, and you should do it on one bike.

A slack and low 6 incher with 36 or Lyric would be ideal. Try get it around 30-32 lbs. DH casing tires mandatory. 2.35's should be good. Although i ran a 2.5 in front cause of the big random rocks. Lightish wheels should hold up if you are running decent pressure with DH tires. I ran more than i would racing DH...

A single 34 tooth up front would be best with chainguide, a 34/24 dual ring set up with guide would be nice too. I think the few places where you would spin out a 32 or 34 you are better off tucking behind someone anyway and conserving you energy. 11-34 for the back for sure.

The Crankbros or gravity dropper seatpost is also key. I got passed a bunch adjusting it manually.

One thing which i would recommend more than anything else is good brakes with at least 7 inch rotors. Fresh brake fluid too. That and whatever you can do to prepare yourself for hand/arm pump. That got me the worst..I had to literally stop to rest my hands in the last loooong steep woods switchback sections from crazy hand fatigue.

Best race and funnest week i have had riding for a long time.

MTB R&D

Chimp
Oct 10, 2008
In a demo Tent near you...
I'm thinking of building a Commencal Meta 6 for Magavalanche. It has the seatpost cable guides and an adjustable headtube. On the fork, I'm thinking Lyrik.

Redorange, which race are you thinking of doing?

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
I've built mine but don't think i'll be racing this year. I raced the last 2 years first year on my dh bike a Morewood Izumi with 888 atas on the front. I survived but a shorter travell machien was brought with me for last year. I used a Specialized Enduro SX (the 4x frame) with 36s on the front and a lightish build was 32lbs. It was great on the decents but struggled on the climbs as the seat angle was too slack. I had a crank bros joplin seat post and something like it is a must for this type of racing. If i change my mind and race this year ill me using my Morewood Shova with most of the parts off the Enduro.

Its about 30lbs and I have a 34thooth ring on the front had a 38 on the Enduro but it was giving me knee trouble so had to start spinning. A 11-34 cassette is a must a dual ring 28 38 setup would be good but it depends on how your bike pedals in the smaller ring. The most bad ass brakes you can fit on your bike is a defenite must as not only will it help you stop it will ease the arm pump. I'd try and make your bike as light as you feel you can ride hard on. If your confidence/skills are lacking a bigger bike will help but its defenitly slower. The most important thing I can reccomend is being aiming to be fitter and stronger than you have ever been before. The mega is just as much a test of strength and fitness if not more than one of bike skill. It really depends on what you want to get out of the race. If its to finish and just achieving that alone is a pretty good goal a dh bike will do but if you want to place or try and set a fast time going for something thats light and will allow you to make time on the climbs is where its at.

Nov 5, 2004
hartlepool, uk
i did it on a turner rail 4x year before last, didnt feel that i needed to use a full on dh bike, but something that could pedal better wouldve been more suitable.

this year using a blur 4x with 36's

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Haven't raced it, but seems like a perfect race for the Giant Reign X, low, pedals well and 6.7 inches of travel and you can build it pretty light.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
i'd go for a normal reign over a reign x. No need for the extra travel/weight of the reign x

phutphutend

Chimp
Nov 13, 2008
Didn't Sam Blenkinsop come top 10 on his DH Race rig?

Bottom line is that is that the Mega is suitable for all bikes, what's most important is strength, fitness, skill and the ability to deal with more arm pump than you've ever had before!

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
he did but he's a freak no one else on a dh bike was near that. His time in the qualifier was also fairly crazy fast

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
I think a lot depend on the rider. The two most notable parts are the huge man size rocks that ideally you want a full DH rig on. But then you have the XC bits that you could really do with a balls out XC bike.

So the fitter you are the bigger the bike you can get away with and the better your technical skills are the smaller a bike you can get away with. I would agree with al-irl that a reign or reign X would be about right for most people.

I took a Orange Patriot with a set of Lyrics. For the start it was great but I ended up getting past when it all smoothed out. Though I did overtake a lot of them again due to so many people getting punchers. I would recommend some popper DH rubber. This year I will probably go with a 5 with pikes on.

rico

Chimp
Nov 2, 2007
England
Definitely go for beefy tyres.

I ran Mavic 823s with tubeless Michelin Comp16s. Heavy but didn't get a puncture all week.

I used a Commencal SupremeDH and it was a bit big.

The best option is using a downhill bike for the qualifier (just a short fireroad uphill... get off and run up it), then have something like an Orange 5, Commencal Meta5.5 (ideally with lockout shocks for the climbs) or similar for the main race.

Enjoy! I can't go this year due to a wedding and am gutted!!