Quantcast

Ultimate setup for bb7 lever feel / power

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Gettin' me some bb7s and I am looking into how to get the ultimate lever feel. I'm spoiled from running hope monos. I felt some bb7s in the shop and, although they felt good, they didn't feel hope-hydro-good. I think it is possible to do better. My main criterion for lever feel is engage point. I like it to be razor sharp.

I'm thinking speed dial 7 levers with odyssey linear slick cables. Will this work? What ferrule size do the odyssey linear slick cables take? Will a bmx cable reach the back brake?

I might also run flak jackets, but I don't know if I trust them.

Thoughts?

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
Good cables, compressionless (shift) housing, high quality levers. Run the fixed pad as close to the rotor as possible for your razor sharp engagment point.
I run XTR levers, QBP compressionless housing, and Shimano cables and I don't think I've ever felt the need for more power. BB7's are awesome.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Gettin' me some bb7s and I am looking into how to get the ultimate lever feel. I'm spoiled from running hope monos. I felt some bb7s in the shop and, although they felt good, they didn't feel hope-hydro-good. I think it is possible to do better. My main criterion for lever feel is engage point. I like it to be razor sharp.

I'm thinking speed dial 7 levers with odyssey linear slick cables. Will this work? What ferrule size do the odyssey linear slick cables take? Will a bmx cable reach the back brake?

Thoughts?

BMX Linear cables will work perfect, stiff as hell and feel great. I have run them myself.

Quanz56

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
Minnesota
Do cables really make that much of a difference in your stopping power? Cause my back break literally does next to nothing to slow me down. If I just got better quality cables would that solve my problem? or at least part of it?

Oh, and sorry to budge in with my own problems :poster_oops:

micahb

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Washington
Do cables really make that much of a difference in your stopping power? Cause my back break literally does next to nothing to slow me down. If I just got better quality cables would that solve my problem? or at least part of it?

Oh, and sorry to budge in with my own problems :poster_oops:
do the pads actually grab the rotor?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Yea they do, I've checked. Abd the harder a squeeze it just feels like the cable is stretching and the pads don't grab any harder.
Pads are worn out or something is contaminated

Send the jones bikes guy an Email, he swears by avids and does some gnarly stuff to make the BB7s feel good.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
use der housing instead of brake house. with a full run of it all the way to the brake. no open "relief" spots

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
Yea they do, I've checked. Abd the harder a squeeze it just feels like the cable is stretching and the pads don't grab any harder.
the housing has a greater effect than the cable. Sounds to me like you need to switch to compressionless (shift) housing, and make sure that fixed pad is as close to the rotor as possible. You don't want the rotor centered between the pads.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
use der housing instead of brake house. with a full run of it all the way to the brake. no open "relief" spots

Full length housing is stupid. Which is more ridgid, 18" of housing, or a2 cable stops welded to a 1.5" diameter tube?

Using der housing may make your brakes feel better, but it's a bit dangerous. When is fails, your brakes go boom.

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
I got bb7s on my steelhead w/speed dial levers and dura ace brake housing (the grey housing) and they don't have as much power as hydos but they are more crisp.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
run the fixed pad as close to the rotor as you can and if you use speed dial levers run the dial as far out as it will go (lowest leverage/most pull.) I've never experimented with different cables and housings, I like a soft feel anyway though, like the power assisted brakes on my car.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
On a side not, literaly EVERY single avid brake I have set up has untrue roters. The truer you can get the roter the better its going to adjust

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Full length housing is stupid. Which is more ridgid, 18" of housing, or a2 cable stops welded to a 1.5" diameter tube?

Using der housing may make your brakes feel better, but it's a bit dangerous. When is fails, your brakes go boom.
Meh. I've done it for years on my dirtjump bike. Full length housing keeps dirt out and using shifter housing does improve the power transmission.

If you live somewhere wet (like the PNW;)) and you use cables, full lenghth housing is a dandy idea.

Of course you could also just use hydros and be done with it.

srphillips89

Monkey
Jan 29, 2006
Boone NC
I have a friend that put slick honey on his cable and it felt pretty good. But I don't know what any of the long term effects where(gunking up or antything like that)

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I've heard silicone spray is best, doesn't degrade the teflon in the cable housing.
It's pretty dry here (Denver area) so it's not as important to keep the muck out, but full length housings mean less maintenance. Avid mechs have a pretty good leverage ratio, so if everything's working right you shouldn't have to pull hard enough to have the difference b/t full length cable and cable stops be an issue...

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Meh. I've done it for years on my dirtjump bike. Full length housing keeps dirt out and using shifter housing does improve the power transmission.

If you live somewhere wet (like the PNW;)) and you use cables, full lenghth housing is a dandy idea.

Of course you could also just use hydros and be done with it.

I agree full length housing does help keep dirt out, however it still gets dirty, creates way more friction (more housing = more friction) and cannot be cleaned easily without removing the cable, flushing the housing, and may be if you are lucky rerouting old cable back in to the housing. Futhermore once your cable get's dirty (ie one wet ride up here in the PNW) the cable ends fray totally destroying the performance and requiring at the minimum a cable removal, frayed ends clipped and trimmed along with cleaning. Having traditional cable stops w/ short runs of housing reduces friction dramatically and allows for quick cleaning without any tools, you can replace contaminated runs of housing and cables way easier, and reduces fraying.

That being said and totally contradicting myself OLY who rides the nastiest clay in the PNW used to run full length Avid Flak Jacket Housing (Al tube between housinng runs) on His BB7's and use heat shrink tape at all seams.........worked pretty well I think.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Since I started using full housing on my shifters, I change the cables and housing literally like once a year.

And that includes riding in whistler and the pnw wetness now and again.

I don't clean cables and housing FWIW, if I start feeling resistance, I toss them.

I know the theory but you can't change the fact that there are only two spots that dirt can get in with full length. Every intersection adds two more. Think about it. It just stays cleaner longer.

Sounds like you've never tried it?;)

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Since I started using full housing on my shifters, I change the cables and housing literally like once a year.

And that includes riding in whistler and the pnw wetness now and again.

I don't clean cables and housing FWIW, if I start feeling resistance, I toss them.

I know the theory but you can't change the fact that there are only two spots that dirt can get in with full length. Every intersection adds two more. Think about it. It just stays cleaner longer.

Sounds like you've never tried it?;)
Haha I so tried it. Like once in college but I was only experimenting.

I don't know why I have such issues with full length housing, I don't hear others whine about it as much as I do. I am constantly replacing cables and housing on these bikes. My main issue is the housing ends explode at the derailluer and shifter stops. I am sure you have seen this where the internal housing cables poke through the ferrule hole and the plastic housing casing is all cracked and frayed.

On traditionally routed bikes you shift up the the low gear then shift down the high w/out pedaling and pop out all the housing out of it's stops clean the cable, pull the ferrules off the housing ends and pour a few drops of triflow or T-9 in all the housing runs, put all back together and go ride.
Full length length housing requires removing cable end ferrule, loosening cable anchor at derrailluer, pulling cable back through housing, flushing housing with lube, blowing out contamination with air , lubing, then if you get really lucky somehow reroute used cable back through housing, tighten anchor and re-adjust dérailleur, new cable end ferrule......basically it's easier just to put brand new cable housing on there.

Running 4 to 5 feet of housing with a cable inside all twisting and bending as it makes it way back to the dérailleur with not a single straight section creates a lot more friction than a traditional set up with 2 feet or less of housing and two perfectly straight sections of cable at the top tube and seat stay.

My hardtail and road bike run traditional routing and the friction is noticably less with brand new cables & housing than are my DH, Slalom, and Trail bikes.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Haha I so tried it. Like once in college but I was only experimenting.

I don't know why I have such issues with full length housing, I don't hear others whine about it as much as I do. I am constantly replacing cables and housing on these bikes. My main issue is the housing ends explode at the derailluer and shifter stops. I am sure you have seen this where the internal housing cables poke through the ferrule hole and the plastic housing casing is all cracked and frayed.

On traditionally routed bikes you shift up the the low gear then shift down the high w/out pedaling and pop out all the housing out of it's stops clean the cable, pull the ferrules off the housing ends and pour a few drops of triflow or T-9 in all the housing runs, put all back together and go ride.
Full length length housing requires removing cable end ferrule, loosening cable anchor at derrailluer, pulling cable back through housing, flushing housing with lube, blowing out contamination with air , lubing, then if you get really lucky somehow reroute used cable back through housing, tighten anchor and re-adjust dérailleur, new cable end ferrule......basically it's easier just to put brand new cable housing on there.

Running 4 to 5 feet of housing with a cable inside all twisting and bending as it makes it way back to the dérailleur with not a single straight section creates a lot more friction than a traditional set up with 2 feet or less of housing and two perfectly straight sections of cable at the top tube and seat stay.

My hardtail and road bike run traditional routing and the friction is noticably less with brand new cables & housing than are my DH, Slalom, and Trail bikes.
Don't know what to tell you man.......maybe I should send you some pics of my bike to see how to properly route some housing;)

Like I said before, I don't mess with trying to 'clean' cables and housing. If it's done, it's gone. And again, I literally only do this about once a year. I guess if housing 'maintenance' is something you advocate then sure, it's easier to clean pieces over one length. But I swear, there's no way you can possibly argue that a tube with only two holes is more susceptible than a section with multiple breaks to contamination.

As far as your ferrule problem....using metal ferrules and decent housing I assume?

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand

Thoughts?
I use Linear slick cables on my trials bike and it gives a much firmer feel, one kit had enough for a full length housing to the rear v-brake plus the front brake so it should be sweet. I'm pretty sure they're a 5mm ferrule too. I like the look of flak jackets, but never used them on my own bikes