Quantcast

Umm...Do i want a BMX bike?

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Well i suck at bikes for the most part (aside from big bike riding) I really do..Iv'e been watching alot of bmx vids on the net and just get the urge to give one a go. Iv'e got a Mob right now, but i dont know..BMX just seems so damn cool. It wouldn't be for a bit but ya know..it's nice to now. The problem i see is...It seems so unstable and small. Im growing..Im 6'0 200 and riding 24's i already feel sorta weird.. Do i just need to ride one and get used to it whats the deal?.. And i guess it would be in the 300-450 price range.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I suggest it. It's definitely going to feel weird if you've never spent a lot of time on a 20, but it will be soooo good for your skills. After spending time on a little bike, you will feel like you have more control over the bigger bikes. You can get a decent bmx in that price range, too. Go for it.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i recommend getting a long frame, tall bars, a longish cs length, and a head angle that is 74 or 74.5 but not a 75.

this will help as you are going back and forth between a MOB and a 20" because it will make it feel more stable.

for geo comparisons go to http://empirebmx.com/catalog/catalog.aspx and look at the frames.

bmx race frames still tend to have long back ends (14.75", even 15.5") because you don't want the front flying up so easily when you manual through rollers at high speed. but if you want tech tricks like bunnyhop tailwhips then get a 13.5"cs.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
i recommend getting a long frame, tall bars, a longish cs length, and a head angle that is 74 or 74.5 but not a 75.

this will help as you are going back and forth between a MOB and a 20" because it will make it feel more stable.

for geo comparisons go to http://empirebmx.com/catalog/catalog.aspx and look at the frames.

bmx race frames still tend to have long back ends (14.75", even 15.5") because you don't want the front flying up so easily when you manual through rollers at high speed. but if you want tech tricks like bunnyhop tailwhips then get a 13.5"cs.
Here's the frame you are describing! http://www.danscomp.com/211176.php

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Here's the frame you are describing! http://www.danscomp.com/211176.php
yeah!! the Mutiny Eden, neil harrington signature frame.... that bike is totally on clearance. none of the new trendy frames are running Euro bb anymore. but there's nothing wrong with it if you're not bashing your bb on rails and ledges (it fu*ks up the threading in a euro bb).

i had a Mutiny Undertaker 21"tt, 14.5"cs for several years. it was heavy but awesome. it was neil himself who sold it to me cheap.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
I would like get a complete, but a build up is not out of the question. Im looking at more tech street type tricks chances are im to scared to be doing dirtjumps on it. Also when looking at pegs what do they consider "light street"?. Thanks.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i was in the same situation early last year. i bought a cheap bmx, then sold it months later. i couldn't get used to the feel, though i can totally see how it would improve skills hugely. it was too frustrating for me to learn to ride, i found myself reaching for my 26 whenever i wanted to go out and enjoy myself. if i ever lived in an urban setting i'd consider a bmx, but i think that i'd just be more comfortable on a hardtail still. my advice is that you try one for sure though, if you like it you'll get some skills, if you don't you can just sell it after you've had your fill.

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
eh... been into mtb for a few years. Last summer I built up a 20" and I can not get used to it. I would say try one for a bit. This is why I am selling mine.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Yeah I ride skateparks...if i wake up at five in the morn..New skate park that really isn't all the great is filled with atleast 20 kids at one time. Im gonna try and get down there as soon as my xbox comes back so i can play all night and get down there early. This is what im looking at, i want a decent bmx and if i sell it..then so be it.

Bikes:
http://www.danscomp.com/101668.php?cat=BIKES Kink Whip

http://www.danscomp.com/101958.php?cat=BIKES# Fit Am

http://www.danscomp.com/101554.php?cat=BIKES Eastern Traildigger

http://www.danscomp.com/101745.php?cat=BIKES Subrosa Dirt Bike

Toptube seems hella short on all of them.

I was also looking at frames where i can get a longer top tube, but i would most likley have to get the build kit from Dans which really i dont know...seems not so great for the price i dont know much about bmx parts though.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Yeah but it's about $300 out of my price range, I think i might just get a frame and the parts pro part kit and if i like it just replace parts as they go. How is the Eastern Repear 2? Or can someone reccomended something..

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
I'd go with a complete if I were you. You aren't sure if you'll like the small wheels so I recommend keepin it cheap. Keep this in mind, there is a lot less difference between bmx bikes than there are in mtb's, so a high end bmx isn't gonna perform that much betther than a lower end bike...just a difference in weight, usually. Just get a bike and go from there. You can always upgrade parts for relatively cheap.

Aug 6, 2008
The Shores
Saw this post while making my way through the forum, so I figured I'd contribute.

I am kinda in the same boat, I'm 19 and rode some bmx back a few years, my buddy whom I road with sorta bailed out on me so I quit. I have been on the mountain biking thing for a while, based on a love a bikes, and stumbled back on bmx. I am planning on taking it back up, buying a decent bike, and going at it.

Good to hear I'm not alone in this. I am also worried about size, I'm 6'3 and have been told to get high rise bars, and a 21 top tube, but those 21's are a bit difficult to find in a nice complete.

Corey

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin

.... I am also worried about size, I'm 6'3 and have been told to get high rise bars, and a 21 top tube, but those 21's are a bit difficult to find in a nice complete.

Corey
You're right about there not being long tt completes.

HOWEVER, you can run a long stem. Even though it's not the best option, it still helps a ton to make a bike roomy. If you rode a 65mm-reach Profile stem instead of the typical 45mm or 50mm, you are getting an extra half inch+.

If you do buy a frame, at 6'3", you'd like a 21.5"tt even better, I think.
The FIT Lurch frame:

Lurch
Sizes 21", 21.25", 21.5"
Backend length 14.25"
Head-tube angle 74.5°
Seat-tube angle 71°
BB height 11.9"
BB style Mid
Axle size 14mm
Brake mounts Seatstay 990s
Gyro tabs removable
Weight 5 lbs

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Here's a $1000+ build for $300:

http://austin.craigslist.org/bik/777725129.html

Up for sale: Raw S and M Stricker frame with 21" top tube and euro BB. Chris King headset, Redneck Lt stem, small T1 bars, Stricker grips, Tech 77 lever, FBM bar ends, Dia Compe 990 brake, Odyssey Slic Cable, Thompson seatpost, Coalition seat, Tree 33 tooth sprocket, KMC Z chain, Primo Powerbite cranks, Odyssey Cielinski pedals, Primo Hula Hoop 36 spoke rear rim laced to a Profile hub with an 11 tooth driver and Ti axle, Odyssey 36 spoke front rim laced to an Odyssey hub, Fly Ruben street tires. $300 OBO.

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
I would pick one up for sure. When I was at Incline Club early this year I rode a Felt Fuse and loved it. By the end of the night I was doing things I had not before on my MTB, great stepping stone to learning advanced tricks on your MTB. Chase, Bass, Zink, Bear-Claw and a host of other pro's all cross the BMX line to extend their line of tricks. Or simply come from a BMX backround.

Here's a link to Felts 08 line, I was very impressed myself.

http://feltbmx.com/08/thumb.asp?catid=1477

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Here's a $1000+ build for $300:

http://austin.craigslist.org/bik/777725129.html

Up for sale: Raw S and M Stricker frame with 21" top tube and euro BB. Chris King headset, Redneck Lt stem, small T1 bars, Stricker grips, Tech 77 lever, FBM bar ends, Dia Compe 990 brake, Odyssey Slic Cable, Thompson seatpost, Coalition seat, Tree 33 tooth sprocket, KMC Z chain, Primo Powerbite cranks, Odyssey Cielinski pedals, Primo Hula Hoop 36 spoke rear rim laced to a Profile hub with an 11 tooth driver and Ti axle, Odyssey 36 spoke front rim laced to an Odyssey hub, Fly Ruben street tires. $300 OBO.
Has to be hot

Blown04GT

Chimp
Apr 14, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I'm 6'2 and ride a 21" tt Standard at the trails and it does feel a little cramped, but not bad. 8" rise bars helped but my race bike with a 21.5"tt feels much better.

And +1 on that S&M being too good to be true......or not stolen

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Alright so it looks like im going to go the the Kink transtation or the liberty. Even though i think they are the same thing...just one has brakes and two less pegs. Not sure if im sold on riding without brakes when this is the first time i will ride a BMX EVER.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
i was in the same boat a few years ago. I snagged a cheeper KHE and i love it. it does so much for your bike/body awareness, not to mention stuffing your trick stocking. it may feel weird at first, but stick with it and it will not take long to get used to. i wouldn't worry too much about the top tube, at 10+ inches shorter then you're used to, 1/2 an inch ether way don't make much difference, IMO.
drop for a low-mid range bike ($4-500) so you get something kinda light. you can beat the snot out of it and never have to fix it, thats the best part. so much cheaper then mtn bikes.
yeah, and get brakes. you said your skate park was swarming with kids or something...

Aug 6, 2008
The Shores
i was in the same boat a few years ago. I snagged a cheeper KHE and i love it. it does so much for your bike/body awareness, not to mention stuffing your trick stocking. it may feel weird at first, but stick with it and it will not take long to get used to. i wouldn't worry too much about the top tube, at 10+ inches shorter then you're used to, 1/2 an inch ether way don't make much difference, IMO.
drop for a low-mid range bike ($4-500) so you get something kinda light. you can beat the snot out of it and never have to fix it, thats the best part. so much cheaper then mtn bikes.
yeah, and get brakes. you said your skate park was swarming with kids or something...

I was thinking the same man, 1/2 inch was a small amount and can only make so much difference, and as far as bike weight, the lighter the better. Just some more coin upfront.

I have found a couple of completes I like alot, that felt fuse, kink whip, and the fit team street. I think they all have a 20.5 top tube, so who knows.

Thanks

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Yeah looks like im going to go with the liberty even though it has no brakes. Yes, our sub-par skatepark is filled with kids unless you get there in 5 in the morn. So thats what i do.

newrider3

Monkey
Oct 13, 2007
Colorado
The thing about getting a frame that comes with brake mounts is that you can always change your mind and put them back on. With a brakeless frame you're pretty much screwed.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I figured I'd chime in on this....

Go for a complete with brakes, especially since you're just starting on a bmx bike. Also go for as close to a 21" TT as possible. It will make the bike more comfortalbe for you to ride, I'm 6' and ride a 21" fly pantera and it feels great. You really can't make up for a half inch on TT length with a longer stem or moving your bars forward.... Maybe a quarter inch but it'll still feel different. A shorter CS length will make the bike easier to hop and spin on and most bikes are under 14" nowdays so it should be good. Also go for taller bars (7.5" +) to help out your back, if you get low bars you'll end up switching to taller bars eventually. This is even more of an issue since you're taller than the average bmx rider. I run 8" bars with a top load stem and my back is happier than it's ever been on a bmx bike.

As for a complete bike the new easterns are good, the fit completes are good, the stolen completes are good.... I'm not sure if you've checked out danscomp.com, as much as I don't like them they have the best selection of complete bikes. I usually shop around at dans and then buy from empirebmx.com.

jellybeans

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
Scotts Mills, Oregon
As for a complete bike the new easterns are good, the fit completes are good, the stolen completes are good.... I'm not sure if you've checked out danscomp.com, as much as I don't like them they have the best selection of complete bikes. I usually shop around at dans and then buy from empirebmx.com.

what do you have against dans?

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
what do you have against dans?
They do very little to support the bmx industry, they sell in such large quantities that smaller and better bmx shops have trouble competing, their service is moderate to poor... Not to mention that certain companies whom I support wouldn't sell their products to Dans for the longest time but finally had to break down and sell to them.

I guess in the way of capitalism they are doing well, but for the bmx industry and scene there are much better shops to buy from who actually support bmx- empirebmx, goodsbmx, albes... Dans will sell anything as long as it makes them a buck, it really feels like they are only selling parts to make money. I have looked at dans ad's since 1997 or so and they have always been the same. To me they are the Wal-mart of bmx.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, some share my view on this while others don't care who they buy from. However I avoid shopping at Wal-mart unless it's the only option I have.

Anyway, back on topic......

How about those complete bikes? :biggrin:

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Yeah iv'e been looking at Dans ordered from there before and continue to do so because of the super fast shipping and what good prices. I was looking at the Kink liberty and the Transtation both have 20.5'' TT. Also when looking at the Eastern Shovelhead it says it's hi-tensile steel? Iv'e read that bends super duper easy..

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Yeah iv'e been looking at Dans ordered from there before and continue to do so because of the super fast shipping and what good prices. I was looking at the Kink liberty and the Transtation both have 20.5'' TT. Also when looking at the Eastern Shovelhead it says it's hi-tensile steel? Iv'e read that bends super duper easy..

"Hi-tensile steel" is another way of saying cheap every day steel, and yes it will definitely bend. Go for something that is 100% Chromoly steel.

fed tom

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
leeds
wethepeople completes. the pheonix is a 21tt i believe, and is amazing for the money.

and to the guy who said only the weight varies as BMX parts/bikes cost more care to elaborate?

oh and my 24 feels pretty much the same as my bmx, just bouncy...