Quantcast

Uneven application of rules at work

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Ok, for the most part, I like my boss. He's a nice guy. Often though too nice. And he pisses people off because of it. And I'm sorry boss, but you get to drive the black G35 out front because you are paid to sometimes be the bad guy.

So...

We don't get paid overtime here. We bank hours. At the end of last year, some people had a lot of banked time and it got paid out. Our CFO had a fit about it, so my boss laid it out that everyone HAD to have used up their banked time (in the form of time off) by the end of the fiscal year.

Through the year, he would hassle me about a few people that kept racking up the hours. So I'd remind them to keep them down and to take a few hours off here and there.

Well, he somehow forgot about his own rule in the last little while. I actually don't have access to view my own employees' hours. (We have an arsed up time keeping software....being replaced right now). Only HR has access.

SO anyway, one of the chronic hour-racker-uppers, racked up a bunch of time. She then went to my boss....(AROUND me as a matter of fact), and asked that her hours be paid out. And My boss agreed. Meanwhile, the rest of the company is trying to burn off hours in the form of time off. Basically my boss doesn't want to be the bad guy. I don't get it. But ultimately, that really isn't fair......especially to a few guys who ALWAYS go way above and beyond the call (which definitely is not me). So 6 weeks before end of fiscal year, all of a sudden company policy had changed....for one person.

Not cool.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Your the guy who gets to drive the Jeep Liberty and the Jetta. Fire her in a sensitive way like any good homosexual would.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I'm serious about this: what do you care?

It is your boss's problem. Anyone else has an issue, see your boss.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Strictly speaking i guess I don't. It is screwing over a couple of my "friends" (term used for lack of a better word for co-workers I get along with). And this is just yet another example of him making special rules for people.

He was letting a woman bring her dog to work with her. (A stupid little pug). FINALLY he put an end to it because enough people complained because the thing kept taking off in the building. But it went on for two months. I work in a machine/welding/painting shop. The thing almost got run over by a forklift. It was an actual safety hazard. It was ridiculous.

He just abdicates so much of his responsibility because he doesn't want to be the bad guy. It's frustrating to watch/be part of.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Strictly speaking i guess I don't. It is screwing over a couple of my "friends" (term used for lack of a better word for co-workers I get along with). And this is just yet another example of him making special rules for people.

He was letting a woman bring her dog to work with her. (A stupid little pug). FINALLY he put an end to it because enough people complained because the thing kept taking off in the building. But it went on for two months. I work in a machine/welding/painting shop. The thing almost got run over by a forklift. It was an actual safety hazard. It was ridiculous.

He just abdicates so much of his responsibility because he doesn't want to be the bad guy. It's frustrating to watch/be part of.
Then use him like a rag.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
The problem is not rules being applied unequally, the problem is your boss has no spine. The worst trait a boss can have is not being able to make the tough decisions. I've had to say no to enough people on enough things that really mattered and somehow I'm still alive, so it can't be that hard to grow a set and take charge of things.

You're doomed.

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
Last edited:

strangeland2

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
masshole
Why not just tell the co workers to go and ask for the pay out like she did? He has no spine not like hes going to say no. Boss gets fired you get what you want.

Personally if they werent going to pay OT I would be punching out at 8 hours no matter what was going on. Time off for extra work definitely isnt greater than pay for extra work. If Im working I expect to be paid... Otherwise I ll just go home.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I had the same problem this year except I had the benefit of only being responsible for the back half. Montana is a payout state with only 40 hours of carryover. I found that many of the dinosaurs with 20 or 30 years in have come to rely on this payout and consider it an earned benefit. An added issue is that these employees have up to 6 weeks of vacation as well as one personal day every 140 hours. They have the most intense work loads and perform specialized functions that are not easily transferred.

This year you might consider becoming more observant of your employees self directed work skills. If they don't have the skills required to get their jobs done in a timely manner then it is possible they are not the right person for the job.