Quantcast

Universities?

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Maybe I'm the only one, but I'd never heard of CSM before so I did some googling. Seems the only nationally ranked program is in petroleum eng. if that's your thing. The 75% dudes and only 3,000 undergrads would certainly be different than most places.

Along the lines of DRB, I visited Maryland and Georgia Tech before picking PSU and GT had the best looking women.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
CSM / Petroleum Engineering.

Then you get to write your own ticket from there. I'm not kidding. If you come out of there with a half way decent GPA you'll be pulling 75k EASY. OR stick around and get your masters working in with the Drilling Engineering Research Group and you get to pass Go about a bazillion times.

I cannot emphasize enough the potential with a degree from CSM in any field. Make that degree in PE and you will be one of the most sought after graduates with a BS around.
That's what my uncle did at CSM back in the 70s/80s. Works for Conoco now and lives quite nicely down in Texas. It seems that if you go into the oil industry and keep with it, you get quite wealthy. From what I've been hearing from people Mines is REALLY good for specific resource type engineering (ala petroleum, mining, etc...) so it's definitely something to consider.

I looked at Lehigh's site as well and that looks pretty nice, I signed up for some information so hopefully I get some quick. ;) And for the guy above saying Cornell is harder to get into than I think, definitely. It's one of my reach schools that I'd be thrilled to get into. How about west coast schools, I've heard CalTech is awesome (hard to get into though) and of course Stanford (doubt I could get in) and the UC campuses.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
just finished my eng degree at uccs last year; it's a decent, challenging program, but you seem to have the cred to go elsewhere, but as mentioned above, how many yrs do you want to pay loans is unfortunately a very real issue. (uccs's tuition spiked in the last few yrs & is now more than double when i first started; wtf?)

if i were you, i'd get the most out of what seems to be very competitive marks; go coastal (east preferable). it's also about the experience & also consider doing at least a semester overseas on an exchange program. your life will be richer than humping it to uccs living in your mom's basement.

for some reason, i always thought you taught at rampart, not attended.
I wouldn't mind going to UCCS aside from the fact that my stepbrother and stepsister have both gone there and just lived out of our house. There's no way that I want to do the whole 'college thing' and just stay at home.

As far as cost, fortunately my parents have said they'd pay for my whole education at an instate (public) school and if I go out of state I'd just have to make up the difference.

Lol and thanks for the Rampart comment. I'm just awesome I guess. :D ;):happydance:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Vancouver and Ithaca are both gorgeous places to live. That I can say from experience.
As far as schools go, I can only vouch for the University at Buffalo. Great for engineering, fun town for sure, and cheap to boot. I'm not sure how the riding will measure up to Colorado, but it is right next to Canada.:cheers:

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Now if women are to be a determining factor, forget the yankee schools and only consider SEC schools. Specifically UGA and UF.
Any SEC school is good for women. Ole Miss then U of A then Vandy for the best looking women. (Not including UF or FSU because there in their own league)

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Not sure if you've looked but Western Washington University in Bellingham, WA is where I went (graduated in June). Loved the area - great for outdoor folks. Close to the shore, whistler, Seattle, etc.

I started the cycling team there my Freshman year and we had the largest DH team (and nearly largest MTB) in our conference/region. Hosted the conference mtb championships in 05 also.

There is some new mtb blood coming so hopefully that helps but the team has been overtaken by roadies - it sucks. Pretty much ran anything having to do with MTB into the ground. Racing in our area has been slow but I'm hoping it picks up next summer.

Great school too - all depends on what you want to get out of it.