narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
so what's on everyone's calendar? i've got:

- super furry animals (next monday)
- john cale (late nov)
- echo / bunnymen (nov - may or may not make this)
- X (early Dec)

should be good. :dancing:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
so what's on everyone's calendar? i've got:

- super furry animals (next monday)
- john cale (late nov)
- X (early Dec)

:narlus voice:

Pffft!!! All those bands suck...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Any time I plan on seeing a show, I end up forgetting about it.

Not much comes through Charlotte, but then again I am pretty much done with live shows.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Nov. 18th - Trey Anastasio
Dec. 4th - Phil Lesh and Friends
Dec. 8th - Railroad Earth
Dec. 14th - Dark Star Orchestra

J

JRB

narlus said:
- X (early Dec)

I would not miss these. :thumb:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Ben Folds with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra at the Meyerhoff. Nov. 11. Better be $%^$%$ good. I paid $50 a ticket.

You're seeing X? Awesome. One of my favorite bands of all times. I had Exene autograph my copy of Los Angeles at an Auntie Christ show. She's not one of your more friendly rockstars.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
:narlus voice:

Pffft!!! All those bands suck...
dude, i challenge you to find someone on this board w/ the breadth and range of my musical tastes. my absolute dislike is pretty much limited to:

- nu-metal
- top 40 pop/rap crap
- opera
- mainstream C&W
- gargling death metal bands (the mic down the throat bit)
- bob seger and dire straits (but just to bust BS)

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
jdschall said:
You're seeing X? Awesome. One of my favorite bands of all times.
X is playing with Juliana Hatfield at the 930 Club in DC on Dec. 5.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stevew said:
Any time I plan on seeing a show, I end up forgetting about it.

Not much comes through Charlotte, but then again I am pretty much done with live shows.
how can you be done w/ live shows? :confused:

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
Nov. 5th - Joel Plaskett
Nov. 25th - Bedouin Soundclash
Nov. 26th - Jason Collett
Dec. 17th - Stars

Probably a few more in between to be added....

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
DamienC said:
X is playing with Juliana Hatfield at the 930 Club in DC on Dec. 5.

I may have to stir myself from this sleepy little town and come on over to the big city...

You riding anywhere interesting Saturday?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
narlus said:
how can you be done w/ live shows? :confused:
I don't enjoy it as much as I did when I was younger.

I might go to X, because believe it or not, I don't remember ever hearing them. I looked and saw they were playing in Charlotte.

I would have given both nuts to see this...

THE DIRTY THREE PERFORM OCEAN SONGS
On Wednesday 5th October the Don’t Look Back series drew to a glorious conclusion at the Barbican when The Dirty Three performed their classic 1997 album OCEAN SONGS to a packed house. The already-special night soared into the spectacular when the lights went down and into the shadowy light of the Great Hall’s stage walked FOUR not three Dirty’s. Mouths fell agape as Nick
Cave took to the piano stool for an astonishing performance of the whole Albini-produced album start to finish in the exact order.
The crowd were already in love before the first note was struck, but an extraordinary version of Authentic Celestial Music received a wildly ecstatic reception. Warren Ellis stood with his back to the audience, but not in any way defiant or nonchalant, this is purely to show us that it is the BAND that is the thing, we are not here to just watch the fiddle player.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
jdschall said:
Ben Folds with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra at the Meyerhoff. Nov. 11. Better be $%^$%$ good. I paid $50 a ticket.
Saw him in central park last summer & he rocked it alone (ok, he had a little help on 2 or 3 songs). I suspect he'll kick ass with that "back up band".

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
jdschall said:
I may have to stir myself from this sleepy little town and come on over to the big city...

You riding anywhere interesting Saturday?
I'll either take a spin through Patapsco on Saturday or take my new DJ rig for its inaugural ride.

To keep on topic...
Gogol Bordello is playing the Ottobar in Baltimore tonight.

J

JRB

N8 said:
I wish it was 1986 and I was going to see Siouxsie and the Banshees along with Love & Rockets in Santa Barbara again

:(
I just wish you had never learned about the Internet. :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
LordOpie said:
^ that would be awesome.

Echo & Bunnymen are still together?

Cool.
well obviously pete de frietas is still dead. not sure where les pattinson ended up either, but will seargant and ian mcculloch are still in fine form, and they've added 3 people to the band.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
stevew said:
I don't enjoy it as much as I did when I was younger.
I have found that I don't care for big shows anymore. No more stadiums or even big theater type shows for me. Plus, there are a number of decent, local bands 'round here (www.painfullymidwestern.com) so you can usually see a decent show for $5.

My upcoming schedule:
11/5 - Foundry Field Recordings (local)
11/16 - Asylum Street Spankers or
11/18 - Largemouth (local)
12/2 - Rev. Horton Heat, Supersucks and Split Lip Rayfield or
12/3 - Witch's Hat and the Doxies (local)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
narlus said:
well obviously pete de frietas is still dead. not sure where les pattinson ended up either, but will seargant and ian mcculloch are still in fine form, and they've added 3 people to the band.
oh, sorry, must've missed that Reality TV show *shrugs*

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
LordOpie said:
oh, sorry, must've missed that Reality TV show *shrugs*
heh, not sure what the recruitment drive was like. but obviously they needed a drummer (i never bought an echo cd post their 5th, when pete was still alive, so i'm not sure if his replacement is the same one which is part of the touring band), and a bass player. the 5th guy plays parts for fill, when will's doing other stuff, and i think he plays keyboards too.

it's kinda like when the smiths added craig gannon to the band...clearly he was there just for the live show, because marr could multi-track himself for whatever part he wanted on the song, and it didn't work too well in a live setting w/ just one gtr.

hey stevew, the barbican hosted a bunch of those shows....the stooges performed _Fun House_ from start to finish, and i think Dino Jr did _You're Living All Over Me_. a few more too which i can't recall.
woulda been neat-o.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
narlus said:
hey stevew, the barbican hosted a bunch of those shows....the stooges performed _Fun House_ from start to finish, and i think Dino Jr did _You're Living All Over Me_. a few more too which i can't recall.
woulda been neat-o.
I think the next time Cave and company tour and do not come to the states, I might go across the pond for a show.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Yossarian said:
Matisyahu is playing on Monday, and I would kind of like to see that.
Hey just played up here and sold out the venue. I missed the show but would like to see him if he's in town again.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Saturday I'm going to see the Melvins with Jello Biafra. He has done 2 records with them, although I still dont know what he sounds like with the Melvins... maybe i should use the infernet to find some samples....

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
McGRP01 said:
Hey just played up here and sold out the venue. I missed the show but would like to see him if he's in town again.

Yeah, too bad for me it is on a Monday night, I'm too old for work night stuff. Why couldn't it be this weekend, when I am a bachelor.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
oly said:
Saturday I'm going to see the Melvins with Jello Biafra. He has done 2 records with them, although I still dont know what he sounds like with the Melvins... maybe i should use the infernet to find some samples....
i heard that the current bass player for the melvins (dunno his name, they go through bass players like spinal tap did drummers) and that some other seattle band was gonna co-merge w/ the melvins (so two drummers).

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
dude, i challenge you to find someone on this board w/ the breadth and range of my musical tastes. my absolute dislike is pretty much limited to:

- nu-metal
- top 40 pop/rap crap
- opera
- mainstream C&W
- gargling death metal bands (the mic down the throat bit)
- bob seger and dire straits (but just to bust BS)
I think that my taste in music is even more expansive, because there are a few items in your list there that I can tolerate. (not the new country of course)

:blah:

I like Bob Seger. Although my hate for Jackson Brown is so white-hot and all-consuming that many artists are caught in the fire. (Glenn Frye for example).

Nu-metal is funny.