Quantcast

upgrades and you

davidhill

blumpkin catcher
Jan 29, 2007
Greenville, SC
How do YOU handle aftermarket upgrades on a new bike??

1) I ride stock, whatever the bike came with is what I use.
2) I ride till I break something, then upgrade.
3) I upgrade for the fun of it, having the best is the only way to ride.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I'm picky about tires and grips. Those will get changed out on almost any bike I buy.

L

luelling

I tend to ride my xc and road bikes pretty much stock, but I'm a geek for my DH bike

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i'm always looking for parts for my bikes but i think i have come to a point were i'm finding if hard to warrent any part up grades. the kc bike i pimped to the level i will pimp a bike (about a $4500 new retail value). i have a bmx bike that is about 99% stock (traded the brake for one i had in a box just sitting around) and i put some oury lock on grips. the road/CX bike is a mystery to most people. it have a really nice stem wheels and seatpost but the drive line is only ok. tiagra shifters 105 rear and fsa gossamr cranks. i will adventually upgrade the shifters and rear der to the sram rival stuff but i really feel no need to do that as of right now. i also just biult up a hardtail fr/dh bike but i cannot decide on brakes and i really need a bolt one rear hub for it but after that i will stay the way it is until it needs a part.

all in all i have come to a point were i just like my bikes and feel very little need to change anything. this is a very recent thing for me though, for probably the last 4 years i was an upgrade whore, i mean bad too, i spent about 3-5k a year on parts/frames over those years and i really don't have much to show for it. though i have learned alot through that experience about myself and bikes

SnowMongoose

Chimp
Mar 1, 2007
Bellingham, WA
Ride it until it breaks, except for sizing issues, like replacing the stock seatpost with a longer one, and throwing on some clipless pedals.
oh, and a chainstay guard.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
Ive been building from frame up lately. But i only replace things when they break or when performance is really substandard

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
I replace stuff that breaks but other than that, my bike is stock.

I usually replace grips, tires, and chains quite a bit though.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I build from the frame up, haven't bought a stock bike since my first one in 2001.

Recently I've been downgrading: got rid of the suspension fork, got rid of the gears, getting rid of the brakes was the most recent change.

The Ito

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
if something is not performing good enough I replace it, other wise I wait till it wears out or breaks. though I put lock on grips first thing, I hate grips moving around or coming off when wet.

crashdwn22

Chimp
Jan 3, 2007
well, I'm new to the whole customizing thing. I have an XC bike that is pretty stock except for tires and saddle (although the saddle part is because my old one was stolen...). but now I'm building a light freeride/urban from the frame up. Almost done too, just need to do some final cable cutting and installation when i get home from school for the summer...oh, and purchase some rotors and a cassette. those too.