Quantcast

Upper back problems

Jun 12, 2007
Southborough, MA
A repost from the NEMBA site:

Since last July, I have experienced an upper back burning sensation between the shoulder blades. This occurs mainly when I'm pushing hard for a while on the road bike or on an extended climb on my MTB. As a result, I gave up my road TTs and have had to back off on hard extended pushes on the MTB. It goes away almost immediately when I let up and is not an issue during normal daily activity, although jogging will produce the same problem. There is no pain when doing hucks or even on very steep ledge climbs. I've gone to a chiro, PT and an MRI has come up with zilch. I am going to finally do some real experimentation with IBU this winter while I am using the indoor trainer. It really sucks when you see your heart rate way down but you have to back off because of the pain. Fortunately, it isn't my lower back.

Has anyone else had this problem?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
A repost from the NEMBA site:

Since last July, I have experienced an upper back burning sensation between the shoulder blades. This occurs mainly when I'm pushing hard for a while on the road bike or on an extended climb on my MTB. As a result, I gave up my road TTs and have had to back off on hard extended pushes on the MTB. It goes away almost immediately when I let up and is not an issue during normal daily activity, although jogging will produce the same problem. There is no pain when doing hucks or even on very steep ledge climbs. I've gone to a chiro, PT and an MRI has come up with zilch. I am going to finally do some real experimentation with IBU this winter while I am using the indoor trainer. It really sucks when you see your heart rate way down but you have to back off because of the pain. Fortunately, it isn't my lower back.

Has anyone else had this problem?
How is your upper back flexibility? Do you do any work with a foam roller or tennis balls?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
What's the other big thing that people do for their back? Decompression? I believe a couple friends of mine actually have one of those back boards that hang you upside down. If decompression helps, that board may be a route to take.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
. Used it at PT but that whole experience was not working.
Find a new PT'er. You should know from the first visit if they are good or not. every person is different so one persons 'good PT'er' may not be good for another person.

I went through a number of them before I found one that was amazing.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
two routes to go:
1. get a really good massage. 90 minutes at least. if it doesn't fix the ol' back, at least you'll feel glorious everywhere else.
2. i had the same issue over the summer: i've mountain biked for the better part of a decade, but just recently made the jump to road biking. most of my mountain bikes have utilized a more upright riding position, so the shift to a really aggressive road position did some funky things to my body. namely, after about an hour in the saddle, my upper back, shoulders and neck were getting really sore and irritated. i found it was mostly stemming from me constantly having to crane my neck upwards so that i could look ahead of me while riding in a hunched position. the fix? i decided to lessen the aggressive body position on my road bike and get a shorter stem, move the seat forward a little, etc... haven't had much time to play with it yet, but i'm hoping it works.

cheers, and good luck!

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Find a new PT'er. You should know from the first visit if they are good or not. every person is different so one persons 'good PT'er' may not be good for another person.

I went through a number of them before I found one that was amazing.
Agreed. Had a similar problem with a pinched nerve due to degenerative C4-C5 vertibrae. PT worked me to open the nerve channels both front tna back. Also gave me some stretches to relieve the imbalance between front and back muscles. These helped a lot!

Jun 12, 2007
Southborough, MA
Agreed. Had a similar problem with a pinched nerve due to degenerative C4-C5 vertibrae. PT worked me to open the nerve channels both front tna back. Also gave me some stretches to relieve the imbalance between front and back muscles. These helped a lot!
Did it solve the problem completely or were there still issues. I have no issues with my upper back on a daily basis.....only under hard extended pushes on my RBK or MTB. No problem XC skating or in the moguls. No problem hucking or short extreme climbs. Occasionally, there is residual soreness even the next day but it goes away as in yesterday when I did some light weights for the deltoids/trapezius muscles and push ups.
I have taken some hard hits to my upper right and left chest which could have involved the mid/upper back.