Quantcast

Upper body/arm protection

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
I am getting tired of my chest protect/arm protection not being there when I need it. Fell on my forearms this last w/e and my elbow cup shifted enough to earn me a bunch of stitches.

I am looking for something with thumb-loops. I know that Dainese and BeastGear have them. Any others?

Also, someone has told me that the occasional side effect of thumb-loops is a dislocated thumb. Anyone experience this?

Thanks

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I think one of the 661 suits has a thumb loop. However, I haven't heard much, positive or negative, about thumb loops. I would be a little scared to use them. Additionally, I have never really had my suit move on me in a crash.

I love my Dianese suit, but there are a lot of quality suits out there that are a lot cheaper.

Rockgardn makes a nice suit, and the new Troy Lee suit is really nice, and www.jensonusa.com sells them for $144.

Dida

Chimp
Jul 8, 2005
Zagreb - lUdArA
My Dainese worked perfect for me so far. Newer had a problem with moving of the suit.
On the other side, there`s 661 which also has thumb loops, but a friend od mine is complaining that the suit is slipping of his elbows. So, I guess that the secret isn`t just in the loops.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
As others have said, 661 Pressure Suit has thumb loops. I own one and it's a decent suit a good price. I don't really think that the loops do much for the fit or staying in place factor, however. As basically everyone knows, Dainese is the best but the most expensive. I'd have one if I had the $$$.

The best elbow protection I've used is the 661 Race. I stays in place at least as well as my Pressure Suit's elbow gaurds. I have an older model but the new ones look similar. It has a wraparound neoprene strap and a stretch sleeve over your bicep along with two elastic straps over the forearm (newer ones might only have one strap, though). That with the thick, hard cups over padding and the wide joint area make it protective but not too restrictive.

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
Dainese full shuttle pro... I just picked one up in April, and it's a whole different world from the rest of the stuff I've used. They are not cheep, but I highly reccomend saving your pennies for one. I use the thumb loops most of the time, but when I forget to put my thumbs through them and bail, the suit still doesn't move at all. I got mine from Cambria Bike Outfitter (at their Sea Otter booth). It's an 03, but I got a great price on it. I payed 420. total, I think the new ones go for 5 plus tax.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
MVRIDER said:
Dainese full shuttle pro... I just picked one up in April, and it's a whole different world from the rest of the stuff I've used. They are not cheep, but I highly reccomend saving your pennies for one. I use the thumb loops most of the time, but when I forget to put my thumbs through them and bail, the suit still doesn't move at all. I got mine from Cambria Bike Outfitter (at their Sea Otter booth). It's an 03, but I got a great price on it. I payed 420. total, I think the new ones go for 5 plus tax.
Many places have 05s for under $400