Quantcast

upper-body fat

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
how do i get ride of excess blubber above the waistline?

i've been trying for a good 2yrs and i can't figure it out. i do various push-ups, and crunches, but i still can't get what i'm shooting for. are muscle-specific exercises the only way? it's hard for me to get to the gym, if not impossible, so what could i do at home?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
depending on how much blubber it is, you might just need to drop a few pounds. you could be really cut and you just don't know it. you have to unbury the muscle before you can see it.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
so are there any genetics behind it? the males on my father's side are all the same way. they're strong guys, but there is fat covering the muscle.

and i guess this is a dumb question, but what are some ways to reduce bf%? i ride ~4 times a weeks for 1.5 to 2hrs. could metabolism have something to do with it? being in school cuts out my time to eat lunch, and breakfast usually consists of a granola bar (i know, breakfast is the most important meal...but when i do eat breakfast, even if it's a piece of toast, i feel like puking it back up). my dinners are typically light and are eaten around 8 or 9pm. i'm afraid i might be screwing up my metabolism.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Don't eat within 3 or 4 hours of going to bed.

Riding up to two hours several times a week doesn't mean much unless you are consistantly pushing your heartrate past 85% and keeping it there.

Running will burn fat the fastest. XC mtb does not burn as many calories as one would think... what goes up must come down so your heartrate is probably only in the zone for 50% of the ride.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
yeah, i try to maintain a 'race-pace' throughout the rides, but is there any way, without an HRM, to know how close i am to my maxHR?

and the "3-4hrs before going to bed"...what does that mean, exactly? i don't usually lay down till about 1am, and don't fall asleep for 30 - 45mins. so don't eat 3-4hrs prior to falling asleep, or 3-4hrs prior to just settling down and relaxing, which typically starts about 9 or 10?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by the Inbred
yeah, i try to maintain a 'race-pace' throughout the rides, but is there any way, without an HRM, to know how close i am to my maxHR?

and the "3-4hrs before going to bed"...what does that mean, exactly? i don't usually lay down till about 1am, and don't fall asleep for 30 - 45mins. so don't eat 3-4hrs prior to falling asleep, or 3-4hrs prior to just settling down and relaxing, which typically starts about 9 or 10?
A heart rate monitor is very handy...

I think you biggest meal of the day should be near the period of greatest physical activity. Eating your largest meal at the end of the day leads to your body storing fat.

On the plus side... men lose fat easier/faster than women. Reduce intake and increase output, it's the only way.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Originally posted by Serial Midget

Riding up to two hours several times a week doesn't mean much unless you are consistantly pushing your heartrate past 85% and keeping it there.

Running will burn fat the fastest. XC mtb does not burn as many calories as one would think... what goes up must come down so your heartrate is probably only in the zone for 50% of the ride.
He's dead on with this. I can ride or lift or fvck 'til I'm blue but only running really slims down the upper body. My pants size remains the same due to riding and lifting but only running makes me fit into smaller shirts.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by Serial Midget

It takes you just as long to come down as it did to climb up?

You are either one FAST climber, or one SLOW DH'r.
For me it is usually an 80/20 split.
;)

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Only one thing to do.

Up in the morning with the California Sun
Gonna run all day 'til the running's done.

Spot reduction is a myth. You can make your muscles bigger and hence have less BF, but the fat will stay unless you unleash some real cardio on your body. Running. Running. Running.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by -BB-
It takes you just as long to come down as it did to climb up?

You are either one FAST climber, or one SLOW DH'r.
For me it is usually an 80/20 split.
;)
I hate it when you are correct, it just really makes me MAD. :angry: :dead: :angry:

You get my point though... mountain biking is not as physical as most people think - due to the ups and downs. Shuttle don't help either... :evil:

But then again... I am one slow DH'r. :p

builder666

Monkey
Dec 13, 2002
Construction in Subterfuge
Originally posted by Jorvik
Only one thing to do.

Up in the morning with the California Sun
Gonna run all day 'til the running's done.

Spot reduction is a myth. You can make your muscles bigger and hence have less BF, but the fat will stay unless you unleash some real cardio on your body. Running. Running. Running.
Word... Run Forest Run!!!;)

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
Make a tiny plan:

ie.
Decide to get up 45 minutes before you usually do in the morning, 3 times a week. Get out of bed, drink some water, put on yer sneakers, go out and run for 25-30 minuter with a decent pace. Get home, get in the shower. Eat a healthy breakfast, then do what you normally do after you get up in the morning.

Then do your regular riding as well, as well as epic fat burning rides on the weekend.

Should do wonders! It did for me.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
yeah, cardio alone is also at the expense of losing muscle too.
Ok - I understand you don't like running and no one is suggesting cardio 24/7. Adding 3 hours of cardio to an existing program will not burn muscle; it will increase strength, endurance and VO2 max while lowering blood pressure and resting heart rate. Cardio excercise is not a bad thing.

Cardio also increases the strength and efficiency of your slow twitch muscle fibers - these are the ones that make the best use your body's stored energy - IE fat. Cardio, when done in moderation and on a regular schedule, has the effect of decreasing your appetite.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Increase your runs... and your pace. A 10 minute 2K translates into a 50 minute 10K which leaves some room for improvement. Your effort to benefit ratio greatly improves with efforts of 40 minutes to one hour, the minimum cardio effort should last at least 20 minutes and bump your HR to 85%.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Leigh2612
wow, quick reply, i love this place!
cheers mate
i dont think i could run for an hour, i did a 27 minute 5k and that nearly killed me, but i do other thigns like upright bike and steppers and stuff, but they obviously arent as intense....
whats the besat way to increase pace and time? 5 minutes more each time, or what?
also wont this burn off muscle as well...?
cheers
No. Running does not burn muscle, it strengthens muscle, lung capacity, improves endurance and reduces body fat. Anyhow, just increase your distance by 10% every two weeks and keep at it. Speed will follow. :thumb:

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
yeah, cardio alone is also at the expense of losing muscle too.
Cardio is secondary to my lifting. I'm lifting 6 days a week, 2 times a day 3 days a week. I'm running or swimming (A hell of a lot longer than I run, mind you) just about every day too. I'm gaining TONS of lean muscle and losing BF. Eating right (LOTS of protein) is a huge part of it though.

Its all about having the right mindset. With enough heart, you can do damn near anything, especially when it comes to fitness.