Quantcast

Upper Body Protection Vests!

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
So i gave the whole just knee and elbow pads a ride for about two years...i came to the conclusion that i've been riding slower, most probably because deep down inside i knew that if i just simply slid out not even had a bad crash i was in for some kind of hurtin. Step #1 one to gain back my confidence, i've ordered a Leatt Brace, quite possibly the best invention since the pez dispensor but now for step #2 i'm looking for an upper body vest.

But i cant for the life of me find the Dainese nextwave back protection vest that doesnt have any protection up front, which is my number one option, then i found out about the new Alinestars Bionic SP Vest, which for $150 looks like a great deal.

Has anybody tried these out??? they even seem to come with a space for using Leatts, or any other brace for that matter...

i also tried out the 661 metal mullisha vest like a year ago but the thing was pretty uncomfortable to be honest.

I know protection and security has to be our #1 priority but comfort goes a veeery long way in how you ride and feel on the bike, what combos are you guys wearing for the upper body?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
661 Core Saver. I hate upper body armor with a passion and rarely use it but since I bought it, I have used it all but one time this season.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Dainese has one that is great but need a separate back protection. Still it's light and comfy.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Last edited:

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
If you are running a Leatt go for the '09 661 Core Saver for sure. I picked one up about a month ago and couldn't be happier. It's designed around the Leatt with low profile shoulder pads and the bake plates are individually removable so you can wear the brace on the outside of a jersey. Comfortable, lightweight, and cheap at $125 from BTO.

http://sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike.aspx?id=03c8d3f8-4914-4072-bc99-7f4a104fcdd6&product=30a97b9f-23e8-47d1-acb1-d7eea677d5b0
Yo Lee, what size do you run? I want to pick one up but I feel like I'd be a Med/Large (or the next size up from your skinny self). Why 661 decided we needed youth, S/M, L/XL sizing and not Emo, In-Shape, and Chubby is beyond me.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
i saw Yero at the OPEN with the 661, i am considering it because i need some sort of collarbone protection.... i find that the shoulder pads never really do anything....

I had my armor on and still managed to get a Stage 3 (level 3) AC Clavicle Separation..... looking to invest in the 661 Suit and have the Elbow/for arm pads....

Whatever you do, please do not GET this piece of ****:

When i crashed the thing moved and i have a huge gad on my back (where the Back plates supposed to protect your spine.....

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
i saw Yero at the OPEN with the 661, i am considering it because i need some sort of collarbone protection.... i find that the shoulder pads never really do anything.
I'm no doctor (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night), but if you crash hard enough to break your collarbone, I highly doubt the 661 (or any padded/plastic upper for that matter) will prevent that. Plastic cups and whatnot are there (in theory) to keep those pointy rocks from entering your body more than anything. I've seen guys in fully body armor wreck their collarbones.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Yo Lee, what size do you run? I want to pick one up but I feel like I'd be a Med/Large (or the next size up from your skinny self). Why 661 decided we needed youth, S/M, L/XL sizing and not Emo, In-Shape, and Chubby is beyond me.

I seriously think the 661 was designed with average-to-large body types in mind. My s/m, though it fits me proportionally and doesn;t move around at all has plenty of room for man-boobs and a belly (not that you have either, just saying the room is there if you need it :cheers:). You're a few inches shorter than me me, I think you'd be fine with the s/m. I could probably fit in a youth unless its really tiny.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I seriously think the 661 was designed with average-to-large body types in mind. My s/m, though it fits me proportionally and doesn;t move around at all has plenty of room for man-boobs and a belly (not that you have either, just saying the room is there if you need it :cheers:). You're a few inches shorter than me me, I think you'd be fine with the s/m. I could probably fit in a youth unless its really tiny.
Justin, I run a sm/med and you seem to be about the same build as myself. I would say the sm/med for you as well. They run a bit big.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
i saw Yero at the OPEN with the 661, i am considering it because i need some sort of collarbone protection.... i find that the shoulder pads never really do anything....

There is no collarbone protection on the 661 vest. They are little rolls filled with packing peanut material, no plastic at all.

Usually you break your collarbone from a side impact on your shoulder and rarely will you break it from hitting it from the top. No armor on the market today will protect from collarbone injuries.

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
That alpinestars soft vest looks wicked, i didn´t know it existed, i think i´ll probably go with that or the new core saver, they´re priced almost the same too.

thanks guys for the comments.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
You probably won't want to go this route, but I might as well drop my 2 cents...I use a Rockgardn Trailstar with the shoulder pads taken off (which, of course, is not necessary to do). Basically, that makes it like a biofoam vest with a hard chest plate and short backplate or like a soft motocross protector with hard plates. I wanted the least restrictive thing I could find and this does pretty well. I barely notice that its on and it comes off easy while not looking too ridiculous, as it fits best outside the jersey. It is Leatt compatible too.