Quantcast

Uptalking makes you sound dumb

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
There's this guy in the office who's got more time with the company than I do, and has a more senior position than mine. A guy that's put in the time, and done well by it. Good for him, but he uptalks constantly.

It makes him sound like such a boob? Everything he says sounds like a question? From a 5 year old?

Hard not to fixate on it while speaking with him? 'Cause, you know? It's really annoying?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
There's this guy in the office who's got more time with the company than I do, and has a more senior position than mine. A guy that's put in the time, and done well by it. Good for him, but he uptalks constantly.

It makes him sound like such a boob? Everything he says sounds like a question? From a 5 year old?

Hard not to fixate on it while speaking with him? 'Cause, you know? It's really annoying?

I think you're mistaking "uptalking" for a canadian acent.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
vietnamese?

I know this lady who is american but grew up w/ her vietnamese grandmother and parents speaking their language.

EVERY sentence this lady speaks has an inflection like that. yes, she sounds really dumb. she's not though...

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
Thanks to the dumbing down of the English language, an alternate pronunciation has been added. Nevertheless, the first and accurate pronunciation just happens to match the spelling. Although, if you live in Warshington the order may switch.