Quantcast

Urban 24" cruisers

motowolf

Chimp
Jan 16, 2007
Any opinions on the better BMX cruisers for urban. Strictly for playing in the city. I have my Titus for the dirt. Doesn't have to be the gnarest. Cheers and no gears.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i think the dk general lee is great for the price. fax axles, 3 piece cranks, excellent brake routing (seat stay 990's) ....

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
i think the dk general lee is great for the price. fax axles, 3 piece cranks, excellent brake routing (seat stay 990's) ....
These seem like a good deal. I keep waffling back and forth on getting one. Is there anything that a casual rider would want to upgrade right away or can it be ridden pretty much stock until stuff breaks?

I see there are 2 in the RM classifieds right now. One a few hours drive from me. Tempting...

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
the dk general lee 24" MSRP is only $289 or something. i picked up a used one in almost-new condition for $150. you really can't beat that. you would pay 150 for 3 piece cranks by themselves !!

the one thing i swapped immediately was the stem. it slipped when i bunnyhopped up some stairs, and it was tightened down properly at the time. it looks like they have a generic stem on there instead of an aftermarket-style DK logo stem. depending which pedals your stock bike comes with you may or may not want to change those.

i'm also going to change the rear freewheel. for whatever reason they put a 17t on there. 39-17 gearing is very easy/spinny. if you want to go fast on flat ground, you would be better off with 39-16 or even 42-16, like i have on my old school cruiser.

i think the wheels are actually a strong point. not sure why snaky69 says that. sturdy hubs with OS axles.

and personally i would rather that it come stock with a gyro like the equivalent Haro does. i think a few years ago it did.

www.dkbicycles.com

snaky69

Monkey
Feb 10, 2007
Quebec, Canada
the dk general lee 24" MSRP is only $289 or something. i picked up a used one in almost-new condition for $150. you really can't beat that. you would pay 150 for 3 piece cranks by themselves !!

the one thing i swapped immediately was the stem. it slipped when i bunnyhopped up some stairs, and it was tightened down properly at the time. it looks like they have a generic stem on there instead of an aftermarket-style DK logo stem. depending which pedals your stock bike comes with you may or may not want to change those.

i'm also going to change the rear freewheel. for whatever reason they put a 17t on there. 39-17 gearing is very easy/spinny. if you want to go fast on flat ground, you would be better off with 39-16 or even 42-16, like i have on my old school cruiser.

i think the wheels are actually a strong point. not sure why snaky69 says that. sturdy hubs with OS axles.

and personally i would rather that it come stock with a gyro like the equivalent Haro does. i think a few years ago it did.

www.dkbicycles.com
Singlewall rims is the weakness there IMO. Not that it can't be easily fixed with some nice chrome rims. A member in another forum I go to has had a few problems with the rear in particular.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Thanks for the input. I can build wheels, so I can always ride em stock 'til they die and then build new ones fairly cheaply. The stem should be easy to replace pretty cheap. One of the MTBR reviews I read mentioned the same thing about them slipping. If I need to I can change the gearing that's pretty easily too.

I found new ones for sale for $259.99. That's hard to beat. Anybody want to buy an old school Pentax k1000 SLR camera to help me fund a new bike purchace?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i rode my dk general lee 24" bmx cruiser for the first time at a skatepark today and i found out that when i do left side double peg grinds on the mini, the low height of the bottom bracket causes the crank arm/bb area to hit the coping instead of both pegs simultaneously. i guess the bb is set very close to axle height. i have never had this issue on a 20" bmx.

the only solution is to not lean in too far on your peg grinds, or run some VERY fat pegs to raise up the level of grinding. i'm already running a 2"diameter peg in the front and a 1.5" in the back.

do any of the 24" mtb's have this bottom bracket problem?