Quantcast

Urban/Commuter bike suggestions

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I just moved to Baltimore city and I really want to get a dedicated bike for riding to the gym, grocery store, bars, and exploring the city. I already have a DH bike and 29er but I wouldn't want to ride either around the city for fear of theft. I'm torn between building/buying something for efficiency i.e Fixie or some variation of a skinny tire'd bike or versatility i.e something that could double as a commuter and trail bike or Slalom/DJ rig. I want to build something on the cheap so if it were ever stolen I won't be out that much money but I also want something durable.

What are other monkeys using for urban bikes? Post pics if you got 'em:thumb:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I currently use a Windsor singlespeed roadie as my commuter/city bike. Its low maintenance and only cost me $300 so if it gets nicked, I'm not gonna cry. I took off the drop bars, put on a riser and a short stem with BMX levers.

I've been beating mine up for about a year now. BUT...honestly I'm not a fan of using a road bike for commuting. Mostly because its very limiting with what terrain you can ride. I've ridden mine on the dirt canals around here, but trails are out of the question. Also...mine has very relaxed geo for a road bike, but it still feels twitchy in traffic and caliper brakes work ok...

I think I'd run a cheap 29'er mtb for a commuter instead if I were to do it again. Semi slick tires, disc brakes, make it ugly - that would be perfect.

Ok, I rambled, had way too much coffee...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Those are definitely mandatory but I guess I'm torn between something quick and light like a fixie or SS or more fun like a SS DJ bike.
My beater/city bike is a road bike from the early 90s. It has a bunch of scratches and a touch of rust in spots, downtube shifters, well built smooth-rolling wheels, and generally not something that would attract attention or be desirable to steal.

Personally, I'm in a completely different mindset when I head out to the grocery store and running errands as I am exploring the city. Exploring the city I wouldn't lock up my bike, but errands, definitely. When I'm carrying groceries or perhaps riding one-handed, brakes are handy.

I guess get a bike that will serve you best for what you primarily intend to use it for... the rest is less important.

Craigslist is great for used bikes... wouldn't suggest buying new - even crappy new bikes get stolen.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
My beater/city bike is a road bike from the early 90s. It has a bunch of scratches and a touch of rust in spots, downtube shifters, well built smooth-rolling wheels, and generally not something that would attract attention or be desirable to steal.

Personally, I'm in a completely different mindset when I head out to the grocery store and running errands as I am exploring the city. Exploring the city I wouldn't lock up my bike, but errands, definitely. When I'm carrying groceries or perhaps riding one-handed, brakes are handy.

I guess get a bike that will serve you best for what you primarily intend to use it for... the rest is less important.

Craigslist is great for used bikes... wouldn't suggest buying new - even crappy new bikes get stolen.
I know exactly what you mean. When riding to the gym I would want to get from point A to B as fast as possible so a more road style bike would be preferred. But if I'm riding around the city for enjoyment I might want to hop a bench or staircase so I would want a DJ/Street bike.

Or I could split the difference and get a Freestyle Fixie bike

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I bought a ****ty old rigid mountain bike with semi-vertical dropouts, ran a singlespeed off an old cassette hub wheel I had, and put slick tires on it. Ran a rear rack with folding wire-basket panniers. Ran drop bars, but wouldn't if I had to do it again--a low flat would have been best.

Worked nicely. Make it less-than-appealing looking to thieves; if you simply can't resist having it powdercoated, go with a battleship gray or a solid bright orange or something.

When I had a BMX bike, it was a decent around-towner, too, but not for long hauls or loads.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I currently use a Windsor singlespeed roadie as my commuter/city bike. Its low maintenance and only cost me $300 so if it gets nicked, I'm not gonna cry. I took off the drop bars, put on a riser and a short stem with BMX levers.

I've been beating mine up for about a year now. BUT...honestly I'm not a fan of using a road bike for commuting. Mostly because its very limiting with what terrain you can ride. I've ridden mine on the dirt canals around here, but trails are out of the question. Also...mine has very relaxed geo for a road bike, but it still feels twitchy in traffic and caliper brakes work ok...

I think I'd run a cheap 29'er mtb for a commuter instead if I were to do it again. Semi slick tires, disc brakes, make it ugly - that would be perfect.

Ok, I rambled, had way too much coffee...
+1 except for the riser bars. I left it the way it is. I think I want more of a mountain bike style with bigger tires for around town. Not a huge fan of the twitchy. Also, road wheels aren't exactly confidence inspiring over the numerous train tracks I have to cross on my way to and from work.

I like this bike:
http://www.swobo.com/catalog/product_info_b.php?cPath=201_1480

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I kinda want this

Looks fun but you'll cry when it gets stolen and look like a scenester until it does.
My .02 dj/ss bikes look way sweeter and its fun to do the occasional razz about on but since this is mainly about transportation I would look for a 29 or 700 c bike something like a single speed cross bike might be a good option.

Last edited:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
+1 except for the riser bars. I left it the way it is. I think I want more of a mountain bike style with bigger tires for around town. Not a huge fan of the twitchy. Also, road wheels aren't exactly confidence inspiring over the numerous train tracks I have to cross on my way to and from work.
I've been pretty impressed with how the wheels on mine have held up. Bunnyhop curbs, slam into stuff, just generally abuse the hell out of them and I've only had them trued once. Solid.

Bigger tires and a more upright position would be nice though. And better brakes. But I do like how fast it is.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
unless you are super short or only plan on commuting for less than a mile or so, a bmx / dirt jump bike probably wont work.

I used to have a 1 mile commute back in VA and it was super fun to rail my DJ bike to work in the morning...until I crashed on the way to the office one day while carrying my laptop...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
unless you are super short or only plan on commuting for less than a mile or so, a bmx / dirt jump bike probably wont work.

I used to have a 1 mile commute back in VA and it was super fun to rail my DJ bike to work in the morning...until I crashed on the way to the office one day while carrying my laptop...
:stupid:

As fun as the DJ idea may sound in your head, unless your commute is really short, you're not going to end up liking it.

Fuji has a line of really nice flat bar commuter type bikes, the Absolute series. They're cheap, and as such don't come with very nice parts, but are totally functional and ride pretty well.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland

I work outside the City so I'm not exactly "commuting" to work per say. The #1 reason for getting a bike is to ride to the gym in the morning before work. According to google earth the gym is .97 miles from my house so it's not like its a long haul. Anything else I would need to ride to (restaurants/coffee/bars) are all under 1 mile, most under .5 miles. The only time I really see myself riding any further than a mile is to explore the city, or just for enjoyment/exercise.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
maybe when I'm 50

I'm thinking about an Eastern 26", although I don't think I would ever be able to sit down and pedal.
Lol, I'm trying to picture riding that the 5.5 miles back from the bar drunk off my ass at 1am and not even being able to sit down. :rofl: Or cruising into town for the farmers market with a cup of coffee in one hand on a Saturday morning. If you're looking at actually using it for utilitarian purposes, the DJ bike would get old really quickly.

Edit: Wait, you need a bike to go 1 mile to go workout? You know that if you walked it would probably take ~15 min, right, or about the same time as getting the bike ready ahead of time and locking it up when you get there, right?

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Lol, I'm trying to picture riding that the 5.5 miles back from the bar drunk off my ass at 1am and not even being able to sit down. :rofl: Or cruising into town for the farmers market with a cup of coffee in one hand on a Saturday morning. If you're looking at actually using it for utilitarian purposes, the DJ bike would get old really quickly.

Edit: Wait, you need a bike to go 1 mile to go workout? You know that if you walked it would probably take ~15 min, right, or about the same time as getting the bike ready ahead of time and locking it up when you get there, right?
I know I know, I guess I'm looking for an excuse to have another bike;)

Maybe I should try hoofing it for a few days before dropping some coin.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I agree and would say the same thing for a fixed gear. I don't know why a fixed gear bike would be more practical or efficient, especially if there's a hill anywhere near you. If you want something more interesting or fun, get a cheap SS dj bike or something like that, but it is simply not very practical for getting around an appreciable distance.

For the last three years, I've been using probably the most boring bike there is for commuting- a late 90s Trek hybrid. It was pretty nice for a hybrid when it came out (True Temper steel frame, STX components) but is unbreakable: 7 speed components, gripshift, etc. I can ride to the grocery store, work or class at a pretty good speed, but also can throw on panniers or climb hills if needed.

For next year I am building up an older CX frame I have around. It will be nicer but similarly functional: bar end shifters, 9 speed, huge gearing range. I have ridden that bike over mountain passes and on singletrack, so I think it'll be a good commuter as well as a bike I can ride all over.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
For next year I am building up an older CX frame I have around. It will be nicer but similarly functional: bar end shifters, 9 speed, huge gearing range. I have ridden that bike over mountain passes and on singletrack, so I think it'll be a good commuter as well as a bike I can ride all over.
If I felt like spending the money for a real dedicated commuter it would probably be a Cross Check or something similar. Those things are awesome, in that they're super versatile/ functional, while still pretty fun to ride.

I just commute on my XC bike. It's a sub 20 pound hardtail, so it's plenty quick, and part of my commute is on dirt anyway.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's threads like this that make me miss my Dyno Moto7. I had so much fun riding that bike and I only paid like $200 for it on ebay in 2000.

Like this:

Mine had mild dirt tires and I put a v brake on the front. The rear drum brake was useless, but the 7 speed Nexus hub seemed to work well enough.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
If I felt like spending the money for a real dedicated commuter it would probably be a Cross Check or something similar. Those things are awesome, in that they're super versatile/ functional, while still pretty fun to ride.

I just commute on my XC bike. It's a sub 20 pound hardtail, so it's plenty quick, and part of my commute is on dirt anyway.
I've been considering a Cross bike aswell. I don't really need the ability to ride offroad in the city but I think it would be fun to take a cross bike out on some local trails every once in a while.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I have a Kona Dr. Dew I commute on daily. Rode it to work in fact this morning. Might be more money than you wanna spend, but its super reliable and has discs, which make a difference in the rain.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Keep in mind, if you buy new, it's going to be a target... doesn't really matter what it is. Something about the shine that attracts attention :)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
There is a lot to be said for riding a cheap, beat up hoopty you don't care about, especially if you are a "serious" cyclist most of the time. Get an ugly old cruiser with a coaster brake, add a wald basket and you are done. Or yeah that Swobo rig. Either way all you'll ever have to do is pump the tires.

For a bar bike, something very slack and heavy with big tires will keep you going slow - and your teeth off the pavement after closing time.

Plus, you can enjoy gobs of smugness when you pull up next to ridiculous hipsters or fully kitted out roadie nu-freds at stop lights.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
It's all about the gears, brakes, full seat extension, and comfortable body position. You'll just end up copping out and driving if the bike is less than practical.

For going to the gym and work, I recommend mountain gearing. Being a he-man and pushing a 53-11 up hills is cool if that's all you have to do all day, but if you're worn out from work and the gym, you just need to get your ass home as painlessly as possible.

One more thing: drop bars are stupid. There, I said it. Unless you're racing, why abuse your spine for a .2% aerodynamic advantage?

Conclusion: get a clapped out mtb and put slicks on it. Done. I also recommend mounting the lock on the frame so you always have it with you. Replacing all QRs with bolts is a good idea. Beefy tubes / 'flat-proof' tires / slime are all a good idea. For a commuter bike, reliability comes first.

Here's mine:

Last edited:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I have a Felt Cafe cruiser that I bought on clearance. Got it for $350. Changed from the swoopy bars to standard mountain bike bars, put baskets on the back, and put my SPD's on it. It has 7 gears and fenders. Pretty upright position. Not as upright as when i got it though. Couldn't get anywhere fast like that. I was pretty much like a wall.
Oh yeah, i ditched the wide seat too.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
It's all about the gears, brakes, full seat extension, and comfortable body position. You'll just end up copping out and driving if the bike is less than practical.

For going to the gym and work, I recommend mountain gearing. Being a he-man and pushing a 53-11 up hills is cool if that's all you have to do all day, but if you're worn out from work and the gym, you just need to get your ass home as painlessly as possible.

One more thing: drop bars are stupid. There, I said it. Unless you're racing, why abuse your spine for a .2% aerodynamic advantage?

Conclusion: get a clapped out mtb and put slicks on it. Done. I also recommend mounting the lock on the frame so you always have it with you. Replacing all QRs with bolts is a good idea. Beefy tubes / 'flat-proof' tires / slime are all a good idea. For a commuter bike, reliability comes first.
This.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
spend about $200 on a >10 year old road bike, decently light but not fancy looking to attract thieves. then put some mtb bars, shifters, and brake levers on. look for a frame and brakes with some tire clearance for bigger tires, fenders, and possibly rack capability(beer run). a road bike like this will have plenty of speed, lots of utility and be comfortable and funner to ride with the mtb setup. my late 80s trek aluminum is exactly this, and it is like riding a fast mountain bike. fun. it only really lacks the tire clearance so i run regular skinny road tires and had to hack up the fenders some. fenders are a must.
a beater mtb with slicks is more durable and maneuverable than a road bike but definitely slower.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Thought I would add one more point about racks and panniers:

I used to shun them because they were nerdy. Then I got some, and good god, the bike's usefulness went through the roof. I can roll home with literally 70 lbs of groceries no problem. It is also fantastic not having weight on your back when you need to schlep crap around.

I can't recommend the Ortlieb panniers highly enough: they are waterproof with a captial W. I have no reservations about taking my expensive laptop in one in the pouring rain.

And in case you were wondering, I still jump on and off curbs with the bastard loaded.

Last edited: