Quantcast

US Grand Prix of Mountain Biking Announced!

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
MTBGP_logo.jpg

Escondido, California (November 14, 2011) – Dean Racing Development is proud to announce the launch the US Grand Prix of Mountain Biking (MTB GP), the future of US national mountain bike racing! The MTB GP recognizes the best professional & amateur mountain bike athletes competing within the United States in a season long race series format. Open to athletes worldwide, this elite series was created to bring consistency and growth of the sport of mountain bike racing in a competitive and fan-friendly atmosphere.

The MTB GP will consist of top-tier events, in cooperation with key regional & independent races across the nation, focusing in the downhill and super-d disciplines. In the near future, endurance and gated racing will be added. The overall goal of the MTB GP is to bring the mountain bike race community together as a whole. Strength in numbers & in family!

“The Grand Prix of MTB is the next step in the evolution of US mountain bike racing. I’ve spent the majority of my life racing, working in all aspects of the cycling industry, and now as a team owner & race promoter. I have seen our sport at its peak, and at its rock bottom,” stated MTB GP director Dylan Dean. “There is an outcry for the need of a proper US national series to finally be implemented. With the support of the industry & athletes alike, we can finally take it upon ourselves to guide the evolution of our sport. This is a dream come true!”

The MTB GP is developed to build the amateur & spectator experience by additionally making a festive atmosphere for everyone to enjoy.

The series website will soon be launched at US Grand Prix of Mountain Biking - MTB GP. In the meantime, feel free to follow our news updates on our FaceBook page US Grand Prix of Mountain Biking | Facebook or follow us on Twitter US Grand Prix of MTB (@MTBGP) on Twitter

Stay tuned for the 2012 MTB GP Calendar!

For more information, feel free to contact Dylan Dean at jdd@mtbgp.com or call (760) 443-3344.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Mammoth?!?!?!? My life will be complete when i get to spend an afternoon watching the carnage on bullet, while drinking the microbrews from mammoth brewery, drunk, trash talking all the riders.

Edit:

Or upper velocity. Hmmmm.

Last edited:

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
hey guys,

thanks... this is going to be an exciting step forward for US national racing.. i'll try & answer your questions here... but unfortunately i'm not on RM much these days, so please hit me up direct & let me know if there's any important questions or issues to address. :)

First off, this isn't replacing the Pro GRT. from my understanding, after my departure, USAC still plans on having the Pro GRT. however, i don't know at what level, what venues, or anything else going on with it. so far a lot of the previous venues have either not been contacted, or have not heard from USAC in a long time regarding the matter. Your guess is as good as mine.

With that said, this is not a USAC "sanctioned series"... BUT select events MAY BE USAC sanctioned. what that means, is that it's up to the individual promoter. you'll see a mix of USAC events and NON-USAC events.

I'm trying to get Mammoth & other resorts on board. all are interested in being a part of the series, but need to nail some things down with them first.. They are 110% focused on the snow season now, so it's just taking time (this happened when i was with the Pro GRT as well), so you'll just have to wait a little longer.

If you have any contacts for Beech, or any other venues, feel free to drop them my way jdd@mtbgp.com. Most of the venues are sorted, but doesn't mean we can look at opportunites if things change or possibly in 2013!

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Shouldn't "top-tier" national events have UCI points?

Wishing you the best of luck with this new series and hope it grows the sport!

EDIT: Cycling News interview explained a bit more about the UCI points...hopefully in the future.

Last edited:

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
yes, in an ideal world, it'd be great to have the events offer UCI points. but there's a lot of work, money, issues that come into play when looking to inscribe. right now my focus is to build the BEST series possible, then begin to incorporate UCI inscription to events. with this we'll be working with USA Cycling. remember, not all events on the schedule will be USAC sanctioned (& therefore won't offer UCI points unless they become sanctioned)

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
This is awesome. I just can't believe there aren't more replies to this thread yet. I guess it's off-season. Looking forward to Mammoth, assuming it gets done.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
This is awesome. I just can't believe there aren't more replies to this thread yet. I guess it's off-season. Looking forward to Mammoth, assuming it gets done.
People will probably get more excited once dates and locations are confirmed.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
JDD, Talia Freeman at Ski Beech Resort. If you want to get in with her though, run it by Herndon first and let him know what you're up to. He'll better understand and translate. He's your in. And I'm sure you know how to ring him.

If not, let me know and I'll PM you his digits.