Quantcast

[US Open] so you wanna make $5000 in 5 minutes?

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
$75 bucks to enter :eek: Thats a bit much for my finances :( . I think I might go to canada and race for 35 canadian and get a shot at obtaining some uci points.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
*Registration fee includes 2 days of lift tickets for both Friday and Saturday.

Race Category
Downhill: Pro Men ($75*)
Downhill: Pro Women ($75*)
Downhill: Amateur Men ($60*)
Downhill: Amateur Women ($60*)

So does 2 days of lift tickets mean you can ride ALL day, or just practice for like an hour each day like some places?

The price is okay if I can ride all day Friday and 3.5 hours Saturday.

I guess the Pro/Open class would be suitable for an Expert rider, rather than Amateur?

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
yea thats pretty steep. I cant decide what to do. I think i might race at Tenny that weekend so i can hopefully place well in the series and make all my money back i spent on racing there from the season. Thena gain... the US open course looks amazing and itd be a blast to hang out with everyone there. O WHAT TO DO?#!@%!#!:confused: :mad:

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
I hope that I can get out of work. Memorial day weekend is busy for me. It would be good if I can just race on raceday instead of having to qualify the day before.

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
Originally posted by Matt D
*Registration fee includes 2 days of lift tickets for both Friday and Saturday.

Race Category
Downhill: Pro Men ($75*)
Downhill: Pro Women ($75*)
Downhill: Amateur Men ($60*)
Downhill: Amateur Women ($60*)

So does 2 days of lift tickets mean you can ride ALL day, or just practice for like an hour each day like some places?

The price is okay if I can ride all day Friday and 3.5 hours Saturday.

I guess the Pro/Open class would be suitable for an Expert rider, rather than Amateur?
Yes that price includes 2 FULL days of lift tickets, you can ride the whole mountain from opening to closing (but you can only ride the race course during your designated times). Also im pretty sure that all the riders who qualify to racce on sunday will also get a 3rd days lift ticket included in that price.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Two full days of riding and racing for $60 or $75 sound okay to me.

Any recommendations on which class to race? I race Expert at NORBA events.

Speaking of NORBA, this is not a sanctioned event right? So you save some bucks right there.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
correct, not sanctioned by snorba.

entry is steep but the podium prizes and schwag toss were off-the-hook last year.

think outside the box.

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
Originally posted by chromegoddess
correct, not sanctioned by snorba.

entry is steep but the podium prizes and schwag toss were off-the-hook last year.

think outside the box.
If you think the podium prizes and shwag were off the hook last year, then make sure you dont miss this year. Its going to blow everything that happend last year way out of the water. For a little comparision last year 1st place got $1000 and this year 1st place is getting $5000.

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
Two full days of riding and racing for $60 or $75 sound okay to me.

Any recommendations on which class to race? I race Expert at NORBA events.
If your a top expert then racing open is usually where you should be. Plus you will get to ride along side some of the top pros in the country. Rumor has it that the entire mad catz team will be there, along with a few other big name guys.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
the entry fee is too much to justify even if you do get 3 days of lift tickets. ill only be taking like 1 or 2 runs a day anyway. my ride from big bear is going straight to the us open so theres a very good chance I will be there. But I dont want to race that event if I have a chance of getting uci points in canada that weekend.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Originally posted by heikkihall
the entry fee is too much to justify even if you do get 3 days of lift tickets. ill only be taking like 1 or 2 runs a day anyway. my ride from big bear is going straight to the us open so theres a very good chance I will be there. But I dont want to race that event if I have a chance of getting uci points in canada that weekend.
heikki,

I see your point.

I'm going to take advantage of riding with the Pros Friday and Saturday. I'm sure I'll gain a lot more from riding with the them during practice all day rather than fully concentrating on one race run. Know what I mean?

I'll get my monies worth, I'm going to ride the crap out of that mountain for the time I'm there!

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Heikki,

Look at it like this...an NCS race costs you what $100 in entry fee but you get ZERO prize money! It costs you ONLY $25 more than a local race but you have a chance at hitting some real $ or prizes. You'll get in way more than 1 or 2 runs a day at Mtn Creek. The lift takes like 7 mins to get to the top with barely any lift line. Compare that to an NCS or local race!

ps...I don't think USA Cycling will count UCI points earned by semi-pros so you may want to look into that before you head up to the CanCup race.

-ska todd

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Yeah I'm there. The entry fee is steep but thats three days of some good riding.

How deep is the prize payouts? It's $5,000 for 1st, but how far down are they paying? Top 3?

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
Originally posted by Damn True
A $20,000 prize purse for one race!

Mad props to a small time promoter managing to do what all of USA Cycling has failed to accomplish!
the $20,000 is just the CASH prizes for the pros, there is also over $10,000 worth of products going out to the Amateur class.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
heikki,

I see your point.

I'm going to take advantage of riding with the Pros Friday and Saturday. I'm sure I'll gain a lot more from riding with the them during practice all day rather than fully concentrating on one race run. Know what I mean?

I'll get my monies worth, I'm going to ride the crap out of that mountain for the time I'm there!
I learned alot about my own potential last year at Vermont in my first Semi-Pro/pro practice....I improved a ton....mentally more than anything.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Originally posted by ska todd
Heikki,

ps...I don't think USA Cycling will count UCI points earned by semi-pros so you may want to look into that before you head up to the CanCup race.

-ska todd

Ive asked a few officials about this and every response that I have heard has been "sure, I dont see why not" Its not very re-assuring but I think if there is a chance of getting them I want to take it.

As far as getting runs in I cant argue but I have my reasons. Most of all though considering my current financial situation I just dont think I can afford to do the US Open. We will see though.

Ive asked a few officials about this and every response that I have heard has been "sure, I dont see why not" Its not very re-assuring but I think if there is a chance of getting them I want to take it.

As far as getting runs in I cant argue but I have my reasons. Most of all though considering my current financial situation I just dont think I can afford to do the US Open. We will see though.
it would be nice to see you ride on east coast soil again...you front ranger! :D

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by GiantDHRider
so who's going?!?!

be nice to see some left coasters in jersey:D
the mountain will be open for general dh'in during the event
I'll be there trying my luck in pro class, can't wait:thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
just wanted to take this opportunity to hate on every single person who is getting to go to this while I'm stuck here ...bunch of bazztards..:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: