Quantcast

US outlaws sale of horse.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I just heard this the other day and it really ticked me off.

1. Who is the government to tell us that we cant eat horse?

2. Every other country in the world considers it mainstream, so why ban it?

Looks like traveling to europe has just one more advantage over the US.

Do yall really find that eating horse is nasty?

Dont like the idea of eating horses?

How bout now? :cupidarrow:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I just heard this the other day and it really ticked me off.

1. Who is the government to tell us that we cant eat horse?

2. Every other country in the world considers it mainstream, so why ban it?

Looks like traveling to europe has just one more advantage over the US.

Do yall really find that eating horse is nasty?

Dont like the idea of eating horses?
Your post sounds like me when I was 13 and playing with frog guts in bio class - just trying to bother people for no real reason.

Why don't you find out if what you heard is true and, if it is, find out the government's reasons? There are lots of things people do in other countries that are banned here.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I had Zebra in Africa - its pretty good. I bet horse meat is decent too...

Some dog food is made with horse meat. I guess they can eat little children instead?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
what did that taste like?
Is there a discernible difference between beef and zebra?
Yes it definitely tastes better than beef, but its been years since I had it. Venison(deer), thomson's gazelle, and zebra are my favorite meats. One might think a zebra and horse taste similar but I think their difference in species/diet/environment would make a difference - I don't know for sure.

When I was living in NZ there was restaurant in the news for serving horse meat (NZ usually only exports it due to its English culture), but I never ate there.

Its all good cause millions of years of evolution as an omnivore can't be wrong though I suppose the over processed food in the US could be though - I never get heartburn when eat in other countries :lighten:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Horse is tasty, young horse is better yet. It's pretty popular in N italy.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Yeah - I remember going by a horse butcher shop in a little town in the Italian Lake District..... should've dropped in and bought some.
I was taken out to dinner in Montebelluna by a vendor and some Nike designers also joined us. Nice place in the country with some foals grazing outside. When it came time to order I chose the horse, specifying that the foal outside looked nice and tender as a joke. The PC Nike folks were horrified by my order and even moreso that the horse was gone from the pasture by the time we left the restaurant. It had been moved to another pasture for the night.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Fries made from rendered horse fat are supposed to the best ever. I'd give 'em a go.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
It's more a question of the 'processing' of animals that what the animal is, in my world view.

Basically, mass-processed meats are horror-shows and I don't like the way it's done.

I get my meats from small, local producers. Costs more, so I eat less. Hey, that has a side-benefit - I'm not overweight! Wow! Cool!

Anyway, take a look at the source of the foods you eat - it doesn't take a lot of work to eat healthier and still be omnivorous.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
It's more a question of the 'processing' of animals that what the animal is, in my world view.

Basically, mass-processed meats are horror-shows and I don't like the way it's done.
American meat works are so inhumane and unhygienic that a factory operated like that would be closed down and prosecuted under NZ law. :think:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
In other news, a man called Horse breathed a sigh of relief today.