Quantcast

usa to canada, bike ship (customs fees?)

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
My chick informed me she wants to race slalom at whistler-between our bikes and all our kid crap, flying is going to be a nightmare. If I send her slalom bike to canada, what am I looking at for customs charges?
In the past for bikes I sold and shipped up there was a hundred bucks if I remember correctly?
Any tips on an easy trip? like documentation saying the bike is only going for a race and will be shipped back-etc....????
Thanks

(just realized this topic may not fit here, if you have a suggestion on where to move it to for better reply, holler-but this is the only room I hang in)

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
In my experience, it's best to use US postal, as this avoids brokerage fees. However, it WILL take longer (like, up to four weeks) which I'm guessing is undesirable in this case. I've been amazed at the charges UPS have stung me for of late. Right now my preferred courier is DHL.

Your other option is to have it shipped to somewhere like Point Roberts, to a mailbox place such as the letter carrier. It's about a 45 minute drive from Vancouver. This is probably the cheapest/most reliable option if you ask me.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Thanks big ted, ease of traveling and speed of shipping is more important than costs. I mean, if I can spend $150 (tops) or so to ship without getting nailed on customs, I would be cool with that.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I think if you fill the customs form in correctly then you should avoid any customs fees. If an item is returning to the point of origin then no customs fees are usually charged (that works from Canada to USA, so maybe it should work the other way?)

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Thing is, if you use a courier, you will more than likely incurr brockerage fees, which is what you pay for the priveledge of having someone process the paperwork involved in bringing it across the border. They are extortionate. This is why I suggest having it shipped to somewhere in the US, right near the border, then you can bring it over yourself and declare everything. As mentioned, if the goods are returning to the US after your trip, you shouldn't have to pay too much at all.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I usually ship to a friend in Seattle, pick up my bikes and assemble them there, then drive over the border in a rental truck. Its been a crazy hassle shipping bikes over the border in the past. Never know if customs is going to hold your stuff or throw away your Stan's sealant and lubes.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Ah you lightweight!! I travelled with kid (incuding car seat, stroller, collapsable play pen) and DH bike from Montreal to Seattle....and it was a nightmare. I'm going to Seattle again in a couple of weeks. Now with an additional kid.....no bike this time. I'm not allowed.

So shipping is likely a better idea.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Ah you lightweight!! I travelled with kid (incuding car seat, stroller, collapsable play pen) and DH bike from Montreal to Seattle....and it was a nightmare. I'm going to Seattle again in a couple of weeks. Now with an additional kid.....no bike this time. I'm not allowed.

So shipping is likely a better idea.
Can you ship the kids? :banghead:

Heavy C

Chimp
Dec 5, 2001
HeY Stickman,

I live in Sqaumish just off of Hwy 99. Offer is out there if you want to ship it up. You can pick it up on your way through.

I also have a seldom used UPS account that saves me some shipping costs.

Cm