Quantcast

Using a 5 inch fork for XC

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am buying a new lightweight hardtail, probably a Seven custom, and I am considering putting on a 5 inch fork, like the 2007 Marzocchi XC600. I figure with the ETA, I have the climbing covered, and 5 inches is more than enough for local descents.

Mostly I am worried about how general xc riding feels. This will be a custom setup so the head angles (I think 70) will be appropriate for 5 inch forks.

I am going to "trail riding", some aggro stuff, and racing possibly. I was wondering if anyone else has a 5 inch fork on their XC hardtail?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
XC hardtail and five inch forks aren't two things I typically put together. That being said, I've actually had two hardtails setup in that manner. The best riding bike was a Surly Instigator with a psylo 5" fork on the front. It felt okay on the ascents, but great on the descents. The other was a Dean xc hardtail with a Fox 5" up front. I received the fork in 5" mode, but I didn't have the know-how to reduce the travel. I was so excited to ride the fork that I bolted it on as is, and rode it in in 5" mode for about a year. The geometry was all messed up--I wouldn't do it again. The hardtail feels perfect now that I have a 4" fork on it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, that is my thinking, but most hardtails are setup for 3 inch forks, which totally throws off the geometry with a 5.

Frames like the SC Chamelon are built around 5-6 inch forks, but it is more burly than what I want (and I have an older Norco Torrent anyway).

I am hoping Seven will be able to solve this problem for me...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Don't Marzocchi single crown forks typically have a longer axel/crown distance than other brands? Maybe you should consider building the bike around a Fox or other 5" fork allowing a bit more flexibility as a 4" Marz would afford a similar geometry as another 5"?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well another thing to think about is usually bikes with longer forks have slacker geometries so things don't get all squirrely when the fork compresses. For most bikes a 5" fork with a 69 deg HA will give you a 70 deg HA with a 4" fork. It all kind of works out, unless you want a steeper HA with the 5". BB height and SA get all funked up though, maybe going for a steeper seat angle would be a good idea?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i ride my merlin xlm, which is merlin's flagship xc race frame, with a talas in the 5" mode. it feels much better to me because i prefer a somewhat slacker bike for riding around here. i'm kind of wondering why you want xc angles with a longer fork though, i would actually rather set it up so it has slacker angles at full travel to make descending a little less squirrelly. i know having a slacker ride made the descents on the mt. snow xc course much easier as some were very technical. you should get an indy fab though. ;)

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
The Fox Talas would get my vote for a fork. Very low axle to crown height for the travel. Maybe still some good deals on the 130mm forks with 3mm adjustment. '07 Talas may be a bit tall and lacks the granular adjustments.

I ran a Talas R on my XC bike for a few seasons and overall it felt quite balanced.... even at full travel (where it was most the time).

mtncycle

Chimp
Jun 22, 2006
Philadelphia
I put a 5" z1 on my Jamis Dragon, which originally came with a 63mm fork, and it was the best thing I ever did. The first few rides it took a while to get used to climbing with a longer fork, but it didn't take long to adjust and now I'm so much faster on the downhills. I wouldn't consider riding without at least 4 or 5 inches anymore.