Quantcast

Using different size shock Q

Evel Monkey

Monkey
Oct 28, 2003
PNW
What would be the result of using a 7.875 x 2.25 shock on a 6" travel frame that calls for 8 x 2.25?

Thanks

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
"probably" no real difference.

The head angle would be slightly slacker but there wouldn't be enough to notice; same with the BB; it would be a hair lower. I doubt you could ever tell the difference.

One thing to look out for though - is when the shock bottoms out, the swingarm will be 1/8" closer to whatever it's closest to. This could mean swingarms hitting seat tubes, front derailleur cages, etc.....cycle it thru w/out the shock attached to see what the various suspension members get close to when the thing bottoms out....

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by DßR
"probably" no real difference.

The head angle would be slightly slacker but there wouldn't be enough to notice; same with the BB; it would be a hair lower. I doubt you could ever tell the difference.

One thing to look out for though - is when the shock bottoms out, the swingarm will be 1/8" closer to whatever it's closest to. This could mean swingarms hitting seat tubes, front derailleur cages, etc.....cycle it thru w/out the shock attached to see what the various suspension members get close to when the thing bottoms out....
Good call:thumb:
Either way i had an 8 inch shock on my bike which calls for a 7.875. No real difference