Quantcast

Using hay bales as a base in dirt jumps?

brokeONE

Monkey
Feb 2, 2002
asheville,NC
Can you use hay bales to use as a base in dirt jumps and berms? I'm planning on a building dj track and pump for my son who is 8. I will continue to add dirt to it as he gets better and the hay bales decompose, but I'm not sure if the hay will decompose too fast.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
No dice bro. We used to do it all the time back in the day. They decompose fast as hell, and make a huge mess to clean up.
Bad, bad idea.

WaveDude

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
TX
Use the bales as "forms" for the sides and backs of the takeoff and landings. If I could do it, I'd use discarded auto-tires as forms. Stack 'em up nice like laying a brick wall, fill the insides with cr@p dirt (like sand). They'd last forever.

serbdog

Monkey
May 13, 2002
drexel hill, pa
Dirt works best and really does not take that much longer when you get down to it. Wood and rock are good for framing and I tend to use rocks on weird angle jumps to protect from run off, etc.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Not to be a party pooper, there is nothing worse than pick axeing logs out of a jump when you want to change the lip/make it bigger, or you want to bowl it out and you can't because there is half a tree burried.

I am not trying to be negative just being honest, learn from our mistakes, build from dirt.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Not to be a party pooper, there is nothing worse than pick axeing logs out of a jump when you want to change the lip/make it bigger, or you want to bowl it out and you can't because there is half a tree burried.

I am not trying to be negative just being honest, learn from our mistakes, build from dirt.
Man, ain't that the truth. I think any builder has been there before. I have done a log or 2 in the bottom of a landing but that is few and far.

brokeONE - like Tortuga said, learn from our mistakes. There is a very good collaboration of dirt builders on this forum - hell, some of the best. Search the threads, look at the pics and read what some of the guys on here have said.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Dirt jumps should evolve.... if you are serious, you'll want to rebuild them fairly often. Logs and other debris and materials are going to make this process difficult!

Paulyd

Monkey
May 15, 2007
Great White North.
at the jumps i used to ride, which i found now are run down... people used like small logs under the dirt, but its a pretty big fail. i started working on a jump, and found the space between the wood was hollow, so at any time the dirt jump could cave in.

aeffertz

Monkey
Jun 12, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
I've seen bails start on fire under jumps due to internal combustion. This happens all the time under snow jumps from sno-x tracks, and I've seen it happen on my buddy's back yard step up.
When the sun is shining on it, the hay can get so warm it will start smoldering. Make sure you use way more dirt than you think to insulate the hay and keep it cool on those 100+ degree days.

brokeONE

Monkey
Feb 2, 2002
asheville,NC
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to put logs just as a base. The logs will also help to keep the jumps from washing away. I am building the jumps going back and forth across fairly steep hill. I'll post picks when I get finished. I'm strting the pump track in the morning.

WaveDude

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
TX
If you dig down, make sure it's gonna drain or plan on bailing out swimming pools in the rainy season (which around here is damn near year round--46" per year). If you go across the slope, digging down works great.

Paulyd

Monkey
May 15, 2007
Great White North.
If you dig down, make sure it's gonna drain or plan on bailing out swimming pools in the rainy season (which around here is damn near year round--46" per year). If you go across the slope, digging down works great.
one of the trails i went to by my cottage, the guys had gotten one of thos plastic blue barrels, and hold water in it. they just put a lid on it, so those damn squeeters dont grow, and when water is needed, pop that sh*t open.