Quantcast

UST maxxis?

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
What are the differences between the maxxis downhill tires and their UST downhill tires? other then the marketing mumbo jumbo terms that maxxis uses. (and obviously that the UST is designed for tubeless.) Im talking functional differences in the sidewall, bead, etc.

I came across a UST 2.5 minion F, a friend offered it to me in a trade and I need to stock up on tires for the summer. It appears to be a little lighter (probably from the bead?) and has some variations from the regular stuff.

Any input?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
first of all its a foldable bead, kevla, the bead its self is defferent so that it would seal. it doesn't have a byutle(sp?) insert.. coz you dont have to worry about pinch flats. and some ppl say its slightly bigger then the non tubeless tires too. oh yea, only comes in super tacky.

they are great tires, inflate much easier then mich.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
first of all its a foldable bead, kevla, the bead its self is defferent so that it would seal. it doesn't have a byutle(sp?) insert.. coz you dont have to worry about pinch flats. and some ppl say its slightly bigger then the non tubeless tires too. oh yea, only comes in super tacky.

they are great tires, inflate much easier then mich.
Seems that CRC sells a 2.5 Minion in a 60A version. I had no idea Maxxis even made this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9413

Now a tubeless 3C DH tire would be handy... anybody make such a thing?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
CVD used to run Maxxis UST Minion DHF's w/ tubes because he liked the sidewall characteristics... I think the sidewalls on the UST versions are a bit more pliable (have more give to them) than the regular version but are thicker at the same time... don't hold me to this though - just going from memory here...

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
The UST tires don't seem that different. I've run both, both on tubeless and non tubeless Mavic rims, and they're both good. I haven't tried running the regular DHF tubeless, but I will. I with they made a tubeless 2.7...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...actually they DID make a tubeless 2.7 Minion...

But it only came spec'd OEM on most 7.7 Iron Horse bikes for 05' I think...

ProFro tests for Maxxis and used the UST 2.7's and loved em'.

Why Maxxis wouldn't want to make a large volume UST tire to help decrease rim damage at the lip is beyond me...

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Does ProFro happen to have any left???

The tubeless 2.5 Minion DHF was sweet on whatever you call the larger Mavic UST DH rim. I actually never had any problem with it, but I feel better with a 2.7.

Thinking back, the 2.5 was a little bit less tire than I'd want in two situations:

Small embedded rocks in tight succession (didn't have enough volume to 'float' and caused the fork to pack down) and in really dry, loose corners that just wouldn't hook up.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Heh Heh...

...even if ProFro had any left (he's probably used them up by now) I'm not sure you would be able to give any to you since Maxxis entrusts only certain individuals with prototype tires... (Read: not for re-sale or transfer)

:biggrin:

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Yo it's cool, I'll cover up the Maxxis yellow/orange (sorry, I'm color blind) with some sharpie and call it a Kenda if it blows up...

Basically what you're telling me is that the 2.7 UST Minion DHF really exists, and kicks so much ass that no one wants to share?

I'm curious to see what kind of profile a 2.7 has on the UST rim. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. The UST's are narrower and deeper than the non-tubeless DH rims (the new 321's). You don't know what rim ProFro had them on, do you?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yo it's cool, I'll cover up the Maxxis yellow/orange (sorry, I'm color blind) with some sharpie and call it a Kenda if it blows up...

Basically what you're telling me is that the 2.7 UST Minion DHF really exists, and kicks so much ass that no one wants to share?

I'm curious to see what kind of profile a 2.7 has on the UST rim. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. The UST's are narrower and deeper than the non-tubeless DH rims (the new 321's). You don't know what rim ProFro had them on, do you?
The 2.7 Maxxis Minion UST existED...

I think they tried a production run on them from late 04' to the middle of 05'... I guess they figured it was exactly what UST DH riders needed so, naturally they stopped making it. :hmm: :rolleyes:

...no more out there to my knowledge... There was an online shop in Japan that carried them, but no more.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
What is it with Maxxis and not offering their customers what they want? I'm actually very hesitant to complain, because Maxxis has great products, and I'm thrilled that they even bother to serve such a niche market.

Well now that you've got my hopes up, I'm going to try to run my non-UST DHF on my UST rim and see how long it holds air.

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
those ridges are a biatch to seal but a bit of stans will take care of em..running a 2.5 minion dhf SR ghetto tubeless and they leaked for a while but after the first ride are golden

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
those ridges are a biatch to seal but a bit of stans will take care of em..running a 2.5 minion dhf SR ghetto tubeless and they leaked for a while but after the first ride are golden
stants will seal them right up, another tip that i found usefull is to use some slime, instead of putting in the tire, take a brush and paint the inside of the rim and the bead of the tire so that it would seal up nicely.

oh yea, about the prototype 3c, i was wrong, it was a 2.7 that weighed the same as a 2.7

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I have tubless 2.5 minion DHF 60d compound tires on my DH bike, they do exist, you can see the markings if you look close

http://forums.farkin.net/photo/data/500/turner2a_resize.jpg

Once i soughted out the pressure settings everything is sweet. I reckon they have almost as much grip as the tubded slow rezzays due to them being a more compliant tire, but roll heaps faster and are lighter. Very happy with them so far.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
What is it with Maxxis and not offering their customers what they want? I'm actually very hesitant to complain, because Maxxis has great products, and I'm thrilled that they even bother to serve such a niche market.

Well now that you've got my hopes up, I'm going to try to run my non-UST DHF on my UST rim and see how long it holds air.
If you want to run regular Maxxis tires tubeless, use the DT Swiss rim strip kit (or some kind of rim strip to get the bead to pushed up properly to seat against the lip of the rim) along with Stans sealant.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
stants will seal them right up, another tip that i found usefull is to use some slime, instead of putting in the tire, take a brush and paint the inside of the rim and the bead of the tire so that it would seal up nicely.

oh yea, about the prototype 3c, i was wrong, it was a 2.7 that weighed the same as a 2.7
Oh god, please don't use Slime. Yes it will work, and your rim will forever look like you rubbed a mixture of boogers, superglue, and mohawk clippings all over it.:plthumbsdown:

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
I have tubless 2.5 minion DHF 60d compound tires on my DH bike, they do exist, you can see the markings if you look close

http://forums.farkin.net/photo/data/500/turner2a_resize.jpg

Once i soughted out the pressure settings everything is sweet. I reckon they have almost as much grip as the tubded slow rezzays due to them being a more compliant tire, but roll heaps faster and are lighter. Very happy with them so far.
i only see 42A compound listed on the maxxis site. http://www.maxxis.com/products/bicycle/product_detail.asp?id=304

?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
huh? i want them coz they will roll faster and wont wear out soo fast. i need to ride quite a bit of road before i get to the trail now. :plthumbsdown: the 60a tires will help me from deing on the way to the trail and burn a smaller hole in my pocket for tires.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
I understood from your reply that you wanted the 60d version... so I thought maybe there was something wrong with the 60A versions. :confused:

Anyway, Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK is the only place I've seen a durometer 60-anything Minion DH UST tire from Maxxis. I think I'm gonna push the button on a pair since I'm in the same situation that I sometimes have to pedal to get to the trail.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
oh... i made a mistake, when i said 60a, i ment 60d or what ever its supposed to be. aka the maxxpro compound. :imstupid:

driftsrfun

Chimp
Sep 14, 2006
paradise
according to that maxxis website the UST Highroller 2.5 ST is 1300g, while the normal Highroller 2.5 3c is 1250g...So even with the butyl insert the normal highroller claims to be lighter.... So with 2 tires being 100g's lighter total, and in rotating weight esspecially

P.S. and whats wrong with running normal tires for tubless, I do it with a DT swiss rim strip and some stans with no problems...

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
So you can run Maxxis UST on an non-UST rim without Stan's, if you use a Maxxis rim strip?:monkey:
Yes, I run UST tires with Maxxis rim strips on Sun Singletracks rims (non UST) with no latex.

That said, you can not get the Maxxis rim strips in the US anymore. I am not sure how the DT strips compare. Luckly, I stocked up on rim strips before they were all gone.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Yes, I run UST tires with Maxxis rim strips on Sun Singletracks rims (non UST) with no latex.
I run the tubless tires on 721's with maxxis strips. The tires are soooo tight to get on, there is never a chance of the tire rolling off and because the seal is so tight you only need a little, if any, sealant

huh? i want them coz they will roll faster and wont wear out soo fast. i need to ride quite a bit of road before i get to the trail now. :plthumbsdown: the 60a tires will help me from deing on the way to the trail and burn a smaller hole in my pocket for tires.
Same here, but mostly because mounting tubless tires with stans with rim strips is an absolute pain and messy, and the less i have to do it the better. Also, the tire keeps its knobs for longer. A soft tire with no side knobs doesn't work well.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
maxxis rim strips are kinda like getto tubeless but pre made to fit different width rims and yes they have a valve stem, unlike stan's you actually see the maxxis strips sticking out between the tire and rim= better seal.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
unfortunately the maxxis strips are a non issue as you cannot get them anymore...they are no longer made and long ago sold out in the sizes to fit any non XC rim width (cannot even find them through euro mail order).