Quantcast

Utilizing heart rate and cadence for training?

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
This isn't exactly downhill racing specific, but rather an interest in improve my endurance and performance on each of my bikes be it road, cross country or downhill.

I'm really not sure how to use the information my heart rate monitor gives me. For example today, I did a 25mile road ride, max heart rate 199bpm, average 155bpm; I can't tell you a damn thing as to whether that was good or bad, although I suppose average MPH(20.1) and the terrain could have an effect on whether this is good or bad.

I know road riders have an ideal cadence that they shoot for. What should I be looking for cadence wise? In my therapy session they have me do 70rpm, I've heard people say 100rpm(seems a bit cartoonish really).

How can I use these numbers to increase my performance, endurance?

I have a non-functioning lung and pretty bad asthma so I'm really looking to be more efficient with my body so as to not have these conditions hinder my riding.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
what do you mean by 100rpm cartoonish? The most efficient rpm range is 90-120rpm's, in terms of exertion output versus work done. That's what most road riders are gearing for. Calculating your max heart rate is debatable on which formula to use. Here is a site that will give you 6 different ones, they're all pretty close.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm

Then you use your MHR to calculate your "target heart rate" were you want to be during working out. 60% - 80% of MHR.

http://www.stevenscreek.com/goodies/hr.shtml

It also might be a good idea for you to get a VO2MAX test and gauge your workout's off of that.

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
199bpm is awefully high, I think the highest Ive ever gotten with my hrm on is low 180's. Everyone is different though.

As for rpm's, I can assure you that 100 is not cartoonish at all. As Jett said above, 90-120 is pretty efficient.

What you need to ask yourself is what is your goal. If its all around riding, I would focus on 2 types of interval training. the first being short bursts at max effort (shoot 20-45 seconds) and the second being extended near max efforts (shoot for anything over 90 seconds). Mix in some "rest" days where you just pick a HR, say 70-80% of max, and do active recovery. It sounds like a lot but really that's only 3 rides and the interval days should be much shorter than the rest day.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
199bpm could very well be high. I just spent the last 4 months with essentially no exercise(bad knee), on of my lungs doesn't work, I have horrible asthma, it was my first ride of the year and I was trying to maintain a 20mph average for 27miles with the group I was with.

My goal is "all around riding". I'm taking this year off racing off all sorts so that I can focus on getting my body back on track.

I just used the calculators on the sites listed.
My MHR showed as an average 198bpm.

I'll be adding a cadence computer to my road bike when it arrives and will plan out my rides and training a bit differently than just going out for a spin.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think the way road riders figure out their "ideal cadence" has something to do with power output (in watts) as well.

But yea, this is something I'm curious about as well.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
One of the guys I work with is pretty big into road riding, but not the performance aspect and has mentioned that most road riders are going away from cadence and focusing more on heart rate than anything else.

This makes sense to me, although I still wonder if cadence can be a useful tool?

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
If you are just going out to have fun and enjoy rides I wouldn't get to wrapped up in the numbers.

I would recommend you keep most of your training aerobic especially if your just getting back into riding.

As far as Cadence we always shoot for 94 .... and then spin up to 120 - 125 for short bursts to smooth out our spin and hips.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
If you are just going out to have fun and enjoy rides I wouldn't get to wrapped up in the numbers.

I would recommend you keep most of your training aerobic especially if your just getting back into riding.

As far as Cadence we always shoot for 94 .... and then spin up to 120 - 125 for short bursts to smooth out our spin and hips.
Just getting out for fun I will do. But I also want to be making up for lost time so that I can come back next year and be in top shape.

How about I throw another twist into this; what are some of the best ways to increase lung capacity?

My interest in cadence and heart rate is primarily based on using my body more efficiently due to "health problems"; I would however, be very interested in exercises to increase lung capacity.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Rich... got any more tips? Shoot me an email :brows:

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
You're really on the wrong site if you want to get serious about these ideas IMO. I would start trolling road sites with a coaching forum and use the search function. While you may have to sift thru the garbage (like any forum), there's still some good information to be had.

Personally, I would spend more time cross-training in the saddle. Cliche, and totally not what you want to hear, I know. However, when I reached my plateau, I realized it wasn't fitness that consistently held me back from beating the same handful of guys in front of me, it was that they sacked up and beat me with skills that I wasn't willing to risk learning. God knows I spent more time on my xc bike than my downhill bike, and still do, but that fitness only took me so far. If you're already at a highly competitive local level, everyone in the front is on the same page with regards to fitness; I'm willing to bet worrying about cadence and heart rate isn't what will help you best them. Flame away.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You're really on the wrong site if you want to get serious about these ideas IMO. I would start trolling road sites with a coaching forum and use the search function. While you may have to sift thru the garbage (like any forum), there's still some good information to be had.

Personally, I would spend more time cross-training in the saddle. Cliche, and totally not what you want to hear, I know. However, when I reached my plateau, I realized it wasn't fitness that consistently held me back from beating the same handful of guys in front of me, it was that they sacked up and beat me with skills that I wasn't willing to risk learning. God knows I spent more time on my xc bike than my downhill bike, and still do, but that fitness only took me so far. If you're already at a highly competitive local level, everyone in the front is on the same page with regards to fitness; I'm willing to bet worrying about cadence and heart rate isn't what will help you best them. Flame away.
I'm pretty sure that if he can reach 199 bpm he needs some extra fitness. I know I'm fit like a a fat man in a chocolate factory(though I'm rather overly thin not fat) and I can't remember when was the last time I reached 175.

From what I hear from my roadie friends they mainly train by heart rate - different rates give you different results. I always get it mixed up though so I suggest looking it yourself. I'll prolly have to find out when I finaly assemble my stationary bike and find a heart monitor.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
If you want to increase your lung capacity and fitness level, do a search for interval training. Intervals are what will improve your max output level. that's where your HR monitor will come in handy.

Don't forget to put in the base miles first though. It's the foundation on which you build the rest of the "fitness house". Long and easy rides are key there.

Also, for mtb, I think cross training with weights is key. Have a look at James Wilson's mtb stregth training programs. (Google him or do a youtube search - there's lots of stuff written by him up there).

Good luck, and most of all, have fun.

oh, and from what I've read in the past, Max HR is a function of fitness and age. The older you are, the lower your max HR.

Tracer Tong

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
I'm in physical therapy right now for a cycling related injury. My advice is to find a good off the bike training regimen that will help you avoid strains, pulls, imbalances and things like that.

For a long time I thought riding was only heart, lungs, and legs. It's really not.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I hate to suggest it on here for fear of the abuse... but Yoga is pretty good for all over body conditioning. Pick power yoga as this is more about developing core strength over meditation. My legs and core are much stronger since starting 6 months ago... it's made a big change to my leg strength for snowboarding and my ability to deal with leg fatigue on long downhill trails like we have here on the northshore in Vancouver. I think it's something to do with working the fast twitch muscles that we use for dealing with the bumps and balance etc. Anyway... it's working for me.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I'm really not looking to use this so much for downhill racing, as I am to improve as a cyclist in all aspects.

I'm looking into James Wilson and other training programs.

I'm in physical therapy right now for a cycling related injury. My advice is to find a good off the bike training regimen that will help you avoid strains, pulls, imbalances and things like that.

For a long time I thought riding was only heart, lungs, and legs. It's really not.
I too am in physical therapy 2-3 times a week for my knee injury back in october. At this point my therapy is 15minutes on the excercise bike(level 4 of 8 resistance wise) for 15minutes at 75rpm. Heart rate usually sits about 130bpm.
Then I move onto stretching, side weighted strengthening of the knees, balancing, electricity pumping through the knee, ultrasound an sometimes some ice.

I'm still researching this and appreciate all the information provided thus far.