Quantcast

Utopia Optics - NOT ME!

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
i've had a number of IMs & Emails about Utopia Optics offering sponsorship via Sponsorshouse & other places. I just wanted you all to know that THIS IS NOT ME. I have absolutely nothing to do with Utopia Optics anymore & will never have anything to do with them again. (yes i'm very bitter)

Apparently the company is under new management. I do not know if it is the same owner or if someone else has purchased the company. (i think it's just new management). Regardless, i will not be associated with that company ever again.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
I was under the impression that Utopia Optics and Spy Optics were not offering sponsorships for Biking...This is not true?
Spy is out of MTB... donno if they're still offering anything to MTB riders via sponsorhouse. Last i heard Utopia will only be doing Moto for a "pro" team... that is if anyone would want to ride for them. but i'm sure they'll take sales anywhere they can - mtb included. but i can say for a fact that no one (at least no one who rode for me) will run Utopia again on the Pro team.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
They picked me up again this year
i meant as havin full on "factory" sponsorship for pro riders, team, etc.

The only companies that have a "factory" mtb team are Oakley, Smith, & Adidas (internationally). Zeal is still somewhat in there w/ Fionn Griffiths & Kathy Pruitt.... Scott - they're still working out a new deal w/ Sam again.

& of course I'll have my own factory team! wahoo!:rockout:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
i like how i called many times and sent many e-mails to utopia askin what was goin on, they said dont worry about it its under new management and dont worry about anything your covered untill 2009. now how do i go about dropin them and pickin up a new eyewear company? i would rather represent a company that is willin to help us fellow DHers out and not some company thats out there to make money.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
i like how i called many times and sent many e-mails to utopia askin what was goin on, they said dont worry about it its under new management and dont worry about anything your covered untill 2009. now how do i go about dropin them and pickin up a new eyewear company? i would rather represent a company that is willin to help us fellow DHers out and not some company thats out there to make money.
no clue. they're still listed as one of my sponsors too on SH..... gay.

that's the thing w/ my future line... (whatever the name ends up being).. i'm doing mtb only & am supporting the sport 100%..... but of course i won't complain if i make some money! haha

i know what you're sayin though. i kinda feel the same way. i've got some close friends that work at companies who don't really work w/ mtb anymore.. do i support those companies? or would i prefer to work with those who actually care about our sport. hard call sometimes. I"m not saying do or don't. just kinda gotta weigh all your options

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
I got picked up by Utopia not to long ago and might I say I'm defintley dumping them. I sent many e-mails and most came back with just we will get back with you later.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
haha you guys are funny. but dylan has the right idea. i like it, and im a firm believer if the company is willing to help you out, that makes the rider feel more involved. and also is more willing to go out of his or her way to talk about and represent the company.

like when i call up atom lab, they remember my name and talk to me about my races, future races and new products and stuff. and utopia cant even reply back in a e-mail. so there for i dont feel "part" of the company and im not willin to go outta my way for them.

not sure if all that makes sense to you, but i have the right understanding in my head.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
So JD, can youg et me a sweet deal on some Utopia stuff then? :D

Yuroshek, Mike at Atomlabs rules.
ha.... i'm gonna have a bunch of junk to sell on ebay!lol

Beer Goggles Inc. ? :busted:

haha. Coors or Bud for the Yanks & Fosters version for the Aussies!

i was joking about that w/ some people at the show when i was showin them my stuff... man if you had some actual beer goggles.. you could sell those things for tons of cash at the nascar races! doesn't matter if they use goggles or not... they'll buy them cause it had budweiser, coors lite, etc on it! hhahaha

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
Lets take my new sponsor for example, Robert at morewood bikes is the nicest guy I have ever met. When I e-mail him he e-mails right back, or when I call him he remembers my name and and is alwlays joyful to talk to me. I feel a part of the company

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
Is jason gone? He seemed like a really nice guy and then he just dropped of the map. I'm still waiting for those new googles to arrive at my house, i don't think thats going to happen anytime soon.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
Lets take my new sponsor for example, Robert at morewood bikes is the nicest guy I have ever met. When I e-mail him he e-mails right back, or when I call him he remembers my name and and is alwlays joyful to talk to me. I feel a part of the company
yah, that's the way i try to be as well.... but if i forget your name, don't take it personally... i'm HORRIBLE with names & faces... but i'll still talk to ya! :D

Is jason gone? He seemed like a really nice guy and then he just dropped of the map. I'm still waiting for those new googles to arrive at my house, i don't think thats going to happen anytime soon.
yah, he was let go the same time as i was. the whole marketing department was. Jason's heading up the "Monster Army" at Monster energy

yah, don't hold your breath on those goggles.... someone forwarded me their email (horrible spelling in that thing), about the goggles being available in 3 weeks. the were telling me that back around Sea Otter!!

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
ha.... i'm gonna have a bunch of junk to sell on ebay!lol

haha. Coors or Bud for the Yanks & Fosters version for the Aussies!

i was joking about that w/ some people at the show when i was showin them my stuff... man if you had some actual beer goggles.. you could sell those things for tons of cash at the nascar races! doesn't matter if they use goggles or not... they'll buy them cause it had budweiser, coors lite, etc on it! hhahaha
What about Guinness for the real beer drinkers haha?

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Robert?

Richard...

And yes, best customer service you will likely ever get.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
that's the thing w/ my future line... (whatever the name ends up being).. i'm doing mtb only & am supporting the sport 100%..... but of course i won't complain if i make some money! haha
MTB only...how? That seems like a rather difficult task to embark on. I guess since you've been in the industry, you've at least got your foot in the door, but still...damn.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
MTB only...how? That seems like a rather difficult task to embark on. I guess since you've been in the industry, you've at least got your foot in the door, but still...damn.
not as hard as you'd think. don't get me wrong, it will be a difficult road ahead. but you work with what you know. & yes being in the industry, having the support i do, & knowing what i know... i have a big advantage. The issue is spreading yourself too thin & who your competition is. if i tried to get into moto, i have TONS more competition, & would cost me a hell of a lot more. I'm not saying i wouldn't spread into moto, snow, auto, etc down the road. but attempting to do it now? that'd be idiotic.
you should be seeing more news on it this offseason & should have product for my riders & for sale by the beginning of the '08 season!

i've been thinking about this ever since the demise of Utopia... but only decided this past week at the show after seeing the support & interest in it.