V-10 or M6?

V-10 or M6?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
With regards to the Dirt guy, go read his older post. He is just pissed because his dealer took his deposit and told him a delivery date. SC wasn't guaranteeing any date and they surely weren't taking money until the frame shipped. The funny thing is that he was getting the frame on a bro hookup.
So even if I was getting a deal (which I wasn't) I should have to wait well beyond what the SC rep promised for a delivery date?

I had the rep from Santa Cruz on speaker when I ordered the bike. The shop owner and I both told him over and over that there was a date that had to be met, and he swore up and down we'd have the bike before then, even if he had to do some "indian trading" to get it done.

Don't speak on what you don't know just because you are a fan boy of one of the worst customer service companies in the bike industry.

Its simple: Make a commitment, honor what you say. If you can't do that, don't make BS excuses, ask for more time, and then get all self righteous and asshurt when you can't honor your promises.

They pissed me off so much I sold my Nomad and my Jackal, and canceled the order for my wife's Bullit. Other friends, as a result, pulled their orders.

SC doesn't give a rat's ass about the customer. They rely on guys like you to loft them up to cult status heroes who can do no wrong, no matter how bad they screw up.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Not to be too obvious, but how is that different from most companies out there?

Few, if any, really stand up to the level of quality that they claim, or should provide. I can only think of a handful really that will do things right each time.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I rode Orven's M6 for a practice run on Saturday.
Its low....and I LOVE it!
It pedals like crazy.
It corners better than anything I've ridden.

In short, this could get expensive :)

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
I rode Orven's M6 for a practice run on Saturday.
Its low....and I LOVE it!

FUTURE FOR SALE AD:
Cove Shocker.
Great frame and all.
Treated me well but I have to break up with her for a much more down to earth ride.

I told you you'd like the M6.... :p

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I told you you'd like the M6.... :p
Its like crack, the first hit is free:greedy:
Thanks again for putting expensive thoughts in my mind.....thats reminds me I gotta email the sluck:biggrin:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Hey Ozzer, what's frame+shock(+steel spring preferably) weight on the M6?

I've asked before but no one spills an answer, so hoping you might.

Cheers.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
I dunno cuz I didn't care. If I wanted an uber light DH bike, I'd be reading magazines and clickin on the latest news on the net instead of riding a bike with the geometry and suspension rate that I like. :p

Total weight so far of my build (with temporary parts) = It's sick! :)

On a serious note:
When I rebuild my bike with the proper parts, I may weigh the frame/shock. Maybe.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Buy Karpiel!!!!

& Hope:thumb:

Has a nice ring to it............. Buy Karpiel:D

buy karpiel??!!?!?!?....what karpiel, they don't exist....this is exactly what this thread is about.....

heh....no offense but if i were you, i wouldn't be chiming in with sales pitches about karpiel of all companies.....you could find a better thread seeing how this one is full of rants about bad customer service, overpromising, under delivering, bad quality control and flat out dishonesty.......

if you asked me to describe one brand that embodies all of those pejorative terms i would say karpiel.....they have to do alot of damage control to take care of before they can even begin to salvage their reputation

also, you might want to wait til a bike or two is physically available before telling people to buy them, ya know?......that reminds me, aren't they running a little late ??? :disgust:

Apr 4, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
M6

I considered this same question when I was deciding which to buy. I opted for the M6 due to weight, agile geometry, the low shock ratio, and the M6 looks great. I also thought that the M6 would be a little more responsive by the fact that it doesn't sag so far into its travel. I haven't riden the M10 more than around a parking lot though so I can't confirm if this is true. The M6 is definately very responsive and pedals very nicely.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I dunno cuz I didn't care. If I wanted an uber light DH bike, I'd be reading magazines and clickin on the latest news on the net instead of riding a bike with the geometry and suspension rate that I like. :p
A simple "no I didn't weigh it" would have sufficed, but thanks. FYI, I ride a bike with the geometry and suspension rate I like, and also a weight I like. :)

I was mainly asking because the new V10 is an incredibly light animal, and while my geometry preference has been with intense (compared to santacruz, anyway), I'm starting to become suspicious that the M6 may be significantly heavier than the V10... possibly enough to sway the vote.

If I remember correctly, medium anodized '08 V10 with DHX5 and steel spring is just under 10lbs. That's light.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
My painted V-10 with steel spring weighs 9.7 lbs. Ano and To spring would make it one light sucka.
My complete bike is is 38lbs

Minou

Chimp
Mar 25, 2006
Munich
My polished V10 frame weighs 3671g (=8.093 Lbs) including axle & dropout but without shock. Size is Large.

Regards
Matt

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
buy karpiel??!!?!?!?....what karpiel, they don't exist....this is exactly what this thread is about.....

heh....no offense but if i were you, i wouldn't be chiming in with sales pitches about karpiel of all companies.....you could find a better thread seeing how this one is full of rants about bad customer service, overpromising, under delivering, bad quality control and flat out dishonesty.......

if you asked me to describe one brand that embodies all of those pejorative terms i would say karpiel.....they have to do alot of damage control to take care of before they can even begin to salvage their reputation

also, you might want to wait til a bike or two is physically available before telling people to buy them, ya know?......that reminds me, aren't they running a little late ??? :disgust:
ohhhh i love it good shout!!!!:biggrin:

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I just sold my 2006 Yeti 303 This morning! :)
My new Medium Intense M6 Works Frame will be in tomorrow.
I'm working on some last minute details for the build.

Intense M6 Frame w/ Manitou Revox Shock
Need Ti Spring - Where to Find??
Marzocchi 888 ATA World Cup Fork
E13 LG1
FSA gravity Cranks 165mm - - Will be replaced by Shimano Saint
Hope Bulb hubs laced to 823's
Maxxis Minion 3c DHF Front 2.7 - Rear 2.5
Sunline reducer headset
SDG Ibeam seat and post
Hayes 10th Anniversary Brakes - Will be replaced by Shimano Saint
Sunline Bars
ODI Grips - Cross Trainer
SRAM X.0 Front Trigger shifter
SRAM X.9 rear Short Cage Der.
SRAM 12-23 Road Cassette
SRAM Chain
Crank Brothers 5050 Flat Pedals

I'm stoked to get it built!

Last edited:

Kingswood

Chimp
Feb 27, 2005
Hey Ozzer, what's frame+shock(+steel spring preferably) weight on the M6?

I've asked before but no one spills an answer, so hoping you might.

Cheers.
Udi,

ForTheRiders have another medium M6 hanging up in the Annerly shop (revox shock, steel spring). They have scales too.

Sorry, I didn't weigh mine before building it.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

There are 6 Disco's out right now (went to the sponsored racers) The next batch should be ready within a month. I know they aren't available to the public this second, but very soon they will be.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Why have you decided to move from Yeti 303 to Intense M6?
I remember you being extremely happy with your yeti.
I loved my 303! It was hard to let her go, but all good things must come to an end. It wasn't an easy choice, but it was time to move on. I just picked up my new Medium Intense M6 Works frame not more than an hour ago. I weighed it at the shop. 11lbs 4oz with Revox shock. I'm super stoked to get it built. I have a few concerns, 1. The shock: Manitou hasn't done much in a long time to impress me and I've owned other Manitou products that were less than dependable. Something about not having a DHX or Roco worries me. 10.5x3.5 shock is huge! not alot of availability of this size yet and I haven't been able to track down a Manitou Ti Spring for it yet. The Double Barrel wasn't an option for me as the additional cost was too much right now. 2. VP Design and bearings: I have had several friends that have had issues with linkages and waiting on parts from Intense. A real concern for me. 3. Yeti Cycles is across town and it's too convenient to call or stop by for advice or concerns on my bikes. YETI IMO is Top of the Top in Customer service. I know them, they know me and I love their products! It's hard not to love Yeti. I still own 2 Yetis. (4x and DJ) I'll admit, my 303 was so good that I'm afraid that the Intense M6 may not be as good a bike. Time will tell. In the mean time I'm excited to get the M6 build under way and out on her maiden voyage! :)

Last edited:

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I loved my 303! It was hard to let her go, but all good things must come to an end....
Ozzer sold his 303 for an M6 too. From the pics of his last race, the look of elation on his face says it all. Hopefully he finds me worthy enough to test ride it someday :nopity:

Don't worry about the revox. I'm running one right now and it feels great. Used to run the evolver isx-6. It was squishy when I stomped on the pedals but great over the rough stuff. IMHO the revox is top end... granted I've only ridden 3 shock manufacturers (Fox, Manitou, Rock Shox). My rig now pedals like it is 20lbs lighter with very little bob, but still performs like a champ over the rough stuff. Only time I bottomed out was when I used the wrong spring rate. I'm a pretty hefty guy and both the Evolver and Revox haven't leaked yet.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Large v10 with hanger and steel DHX is 10.8lbs, according tot he shop.
I weighed mine in the 3 minutes between when it showed up and when I built it (had a 14 hour drive to the Open once it was built).

10 pounds 11 ounces (~10.6 pounds) Large powder coat frame with the a 550 steel spring on a DHX. The axle was in the frame when I weighed it.

I put a RS Vivid on after the first day of riding the frame. Made the bike track better on off camber bumps. Didn't loose any of the jumping. I have to say that I am extremely impressed with the Vivid. The adjusters make changes that you can feel on the bike. It was easy to get dialed in a few runs.

I weighed mine in the 3 minutes between when it showed up and when I built it (had a 14 hour drive to the Open once it was built).

10 pounds 11 ounces (~10.6 pounds) Large powder coat frame with the a 550 steel spring on a DHX. The axle was in the frame when I weighed it.

I put a RS Vivid on after the first day of riding the frame. Made the bike track better on off camber bumps. Didn't loose any of the jumping. I have to say that I am extremely impressed with the Vivid. The adjusters make changes that you can feel on the bike. It was easy to get dialed in a few runs.
what length eye-to-eye of your vivid did you use?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
if v10 08 is 222mm eye-to-eye length why mine came with fox dhx5 228mm eye-to-eye? i have friends with 222 shocks and are shorter than mine. i`ve measured it and its an 228mm.

sorry if i`m on topic :shocked:
It's well documented that SC uses an 8.75"x2.75" shock on the V10 - they have since they started making it. No one on this board can tell you why your V10 came with a 9" shock.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Any bike that rolls out the door at Santa Cruz is a waste of good metal.

Buy a real piece of craftsmanship and get an Intense

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Any bike that rolls out the door at Santa Cruz is a waste of good metal.

Buy a real piece of craftsmanship and get an Intense
it may not currently be the case (sounds like there's been some recent qc upgrades), but i've seen / heard of more wonky intenses than sc's. i've been more that happy with the sc's i've owned as have been most of my buddies that have ridden them over the years. sc makes good bikes. the new v10 is hotness.