Quantcast

V-10 pluss roco small bump issue

Supernaut

Chimp
Feb 12, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Hi yall.

I am having some issues with the way my roco equipped v-10 is dealing with stutterbumps\ small bumps etc.

I weigh in at a whimpy 65 kg, and im running a 350 lb spring.
The compression is full open (have tried running it higher to see if the problem was caused by to little compression, but this made things a lot worse. As for the piggyback pressure i have tried more or less the entire range without any luck.

The pivot bearings are getting rather old, and im thinking this might be part of the problem?

Any of you monkeys able to help?

Fredrik

Neuro

Chimp
Dec 29, 2006
Hi yall.

I am having some issues with the way my roco equipped v-10 is dealing with stutterbumps\ small bumps etc.

The compression is full open (have tried running it higher to see if the problem was caused by to little compression, but this made things a lot worse. As for the piggyback pressure i have tried more or less the entire range without any luck.

The pivot bearings are getting rather old, and im thinking this might be part of the problem?

Fredrik

I had the same problem with my Roco World Cup installed on my Commencal supreme dh 2007. I rebuild it only after one month with Red Line like water oil but the shock was still overdamped and sticky for my feelings...so I decided to swap for Fox Dhx 5.0 and now my bike is better.
On small bumps is very very good and the range of rebound adjustement is wide, not only two click like with Roco.....

Supernaut

Chimp
Feb 12, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Hmm, not the answer i wantede to hear... but still a good one an answers go.
I guess ill just send the little bugger to push for the factory mod.

Thanks.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
maybe you're running too much rebound damping. it could be too slow, not rebounding fast enough for the next bump and packing up.
speed that thing up and see if it feels any better.

i'm running a stock roco on my v10...stutter bumps don't exist. i'm running a pretty lively rebound.

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
Hi yall.

Fredrik
It might be partly due to the rebound circuit. The ROCO uses a "preloaded" high speed rebound stack that can sometimes not openly effectively with lower spring rates. My guess would be that your shock is "packing" under succesive hits due to the rebound valving.

Darren
PUSH Industries

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Mine is doing the same thing on my Socom. The bike and shock are brand new but it feels like the bearings are loose. The shock doesnt like to rebound all the way out, last mm. I can get it to go away with a bunch of preload but then it really feels like crap. I think I need to turn up the rebound because its too slow. Id turn it faster but I lost the knob first ride. :(

Can you adjust the rebound with a allen key? I havent tried it but it looks like one would fit.

Im running 150 psi, middle compression, 4 clicks rebound, and 450 spring. I get 30% sag.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
180-220 psi, and if it still tops out and has a "clacking" sound over very small hits (like if you drop the bike from an inch high), then you have an air bubble. You should change the stock oil for 2w-2.5w redline anyway.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i have this issue with my DHX...too bad i don't feel comfortable rebuilding it...and i don't want to spend all that money just for lighter oil..

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The air chamber in the Roco piggyback is really small. When that opens and has to pressurize the hose/valve in the shock pump when you reattach it, that pressure is distributed over a greater volume. The smaller the air chamber in the shock, the greater that effect. On my shock pump that has a longer hose it will read almost zero usually. That's normal.

The 180-220 psi recommendation is straight from the Marzocchi techs. So is the recommendation for 2-2.5W. Stock is realistically about a 3w and they said about 30 hours is normal for break-in time (just like their forks).

Kanter do you still have that old Super T for sale in your sig??

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
Kanter - i think you lose 50psi when you reattach the hose, not from taking it off.

Also i remember on my friends roco there being 2 allen screws in each adjuster, and you had to loosen the inner one in order to turn the adjuster.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Yes, I have the Super T still. Its practically new, ridden 5-10 times by my wife. PM me.

This is my first shock with air adjustment so bare with me. If I pump it up to 200 psi and then take the shock off.... it should have 200 psi in it. When I put the pump back on the shock and it reads 150, I lost 50 psi into the shock pump. Correct?

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
I believe thats how it works, because when you put the shock pump back on it has to equalize the pressure in the system, which puts air in the hose and thus out of the shock.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
hrmmm... I'm running a Roco TST on my Sunday with waaaay under the recommended pressure in the chamber. I think it's on about 80psi and has 200+ runs on it with no problems. Any higher and I lose too much small bump sensitivity for my preference.