Quantcast

V10 and ROCO, Short Review

SJ10

Chimp
Dec 11, 2004
I managed to get a couple of good rides on the ROCO this last weekend. I had a 5th on before so I ordered the shock without a spring and hardware (Thanks Go-Ride!). No fit or hardware problems but I did have a little trouble getting the spring on.

Set-up:

The 550 lb spring that came with my 5th seemed to give the right amount of sag so I just stuck with it. I set the air pressure in the middle of the recommened range at 200 psi. Rebound was set at about a 3/4 to 1 turn out from full in and compression was set at 3 clicks out from full in. One of the few things I didn't like about the shock was the rebound adjuster. It spins too easy, is somewhat vague in its influence on the rebound, and is difficult to reach in this frame. I'm not saying the rebound doesn't work but it seems to have less range than the 5th. The compression seems to work mostly on mid to end stroke.

The Ride:

I was looking for a shock that had better bump absorption, more boost off of jumps, and good bottom out resistance. The ROCO performs excellent in all these areas. The shock is very smooth and very plush. It levels out rough terrain nicely. Jumping requires less effort and take offs are more predictable. The bike seems easier to manipulate in the air based on the predictability off the ramp. Bottom out resistance is excellent. The rebound speed slows down considerably for bigger landings but stays quick in the beginning stroke to accommodate chop. Corners are smooth and uneventful. Pedaling efficiency isn't bad for a non-platform shock. I really only notice the bob on flat ground when mashing but I don't feel like the bike is slower. Actually I feel the bike may be faster, certainly over rough terrain, but mainly because the shock feels comfortable. The activeness never feels out of control and the change in bike feel is very easy to adjust to (from the 5th). In all the shock performs great and is a great match for the frame. The vpp design retains enough influence over the shock to make pedaling acceptable. The shock feels very well matched to my Shiver as well.

For dedicated DH I think this shock would be hard to beat. I'm not sure it would be my choice for lots of pedaling but it performs great for what I use it for. So two thumbs-up for the ROCO and v10.

SJ

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I just installed a Roco on a 2005 Sunday. My overall initial impressions are the on par with yours. Even down to the rebound adjuster moving too easily. The instructions say it should "click"....hmmmm mine no clicky...

Do you know exactly what the air pressure is supposed to do? All I can find is the 180-220psi range they list on the website. Which doesn't really explain what it's supposed to do.

I got mine set at 180psi right now. I know the pressure definitely affects the sag level. Also, with no pressure in the chamber it topped out a bit hard. Now with the pressure it has some top-out "cushioning" if that makes any sense.

Can anyone add any more color comentary to the affects of the air pressure?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Bicyclist said:
I think the pressure is supposed to affect the ending stroke compression.
Yeah I think it may affect it too. In their "Problem/Cure" section they list too much air pressure as a cause to "Not getting full travel." But it would still be nice to get their text book definition of what pressure they recommend and what it affects.

Yes, I could always mess around with the air pressure, but you have no idea how hard it is to get the shock pump threaded on the valve on the Sunday. My giant man hands don't work too well those tight spaces!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
numerik said:
Where is the air valve? Do you have to open the piggy back?
Take a look below at the diagram. My red crayon ran out, so I had to use black...I don't quite know what you mean about "open the piggy back", but the air valve is on the flat side of the piggy back. You just unscrew the alum cap and there's the schrader valve.

Attachments

SJ10

Chimp
Dec 11, 2004
Air pressure adjustment is in the same place as it is on the 5th and it is accessed by unscrewing the cap on the end. I'm running about 200 psi. Varying psi seems to do more for end stroke and bottom out than sag or ride quality.

I've had some good rides on the shock in the last couple of weeks and I am still very impressed. Jumping and bike manipulation is so much better. I feel faster overall and pedaling performance really hasn't been an issue. I run a 550 spring which is 50 heavier than what came with the bike. That spring seems to work great with the shock and my weight. A very smooth shock and well worth the 300 bills.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
SJ10 said:
Air pressure adjustment is in the same place as it is on the 5th and it is accessed by unscrewing the cap on the end. I'm running about 200 psi. Varying psi seems to do more for end stroke and bottom out than sag or ride quality.

I've had some good rides on the shock in the last couple of weeks and I am still very impressed. Jumping and bike manipulation is so much better. I feel faster overall and pedaling performance really hasn't been an issue. I run a 550 spring which is 50 heavier than what came with the bike. That spring seems to work great with the shock and my weight. A very smooth shock and well worth the 300 bills.
Isn't it 3 bills?

Good to hear that its working out for you. I love my Roco. Maybe its just me, but when you hit jumps now, so you feel like you float futher?

SJ10

Chimp
Dec 11, 2004
Radarr said:
Isn't it 3 bills?

Good to hear that its working out for you. I love my Roco. Maybe its just me, but when you hit jumps now, so you feel like you float futher?
Oh yeah, 3 bills. I guess I wouldn't make it as a crack dealer. It's a great beacon shock, although I don't think I'm quite as good as you are. The 15 footer is still a little large for me.

I do feel like I float further and with less effort. I don't feel like I'm fighting the bike as much and preloading actually works now. The thing I really like is how much more I can manage the bike off the lip and in the air. Your review helped me make a good decison. Thanks.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
SJ10 said:
Oh yeah, 3 bills. I guess I wouldn't make it as a crack dealer. It's a great beacon shock, although I don't think I'm quite as good as you are. The 15 footer is still a little large for me.

I do feel like I float further and with less effort. I don't feel like I'm fighting the bike as much and preloading actually works now. The thing I really like is how much more I can manage the bike off the lip and in the air. Your review helped me make a good decison. Thanks.
Haha, thanks. And I seriously doubt that I'm better than you are - I'm probably just a lot more stupid.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Yeah, well, shut up. At least I can stay on cars when they're moving.

:eek:

We are like brothers in head trauma.

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
SylentK said:
Take a look below at the diagram. My red crayon ran out, so I had to use black...I don't quite know what you mean about "open the piggy back", but the air valve is on the flat side of the piggy back. You just unscrew the alum cap and there's the schrader valve.
Thnx!
I wasn't sure if it opens...

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
i upgraded from the 5th to the 1st generation roco on my V10 as well. huge difference in performance, over everything. the v10 is improved by a non-platform shock.

small bump, big bump, drops, jumps, jack hammering....it's all good with the roco on the v10...the shock/bike combo is damn smooth!

i agree about the rebound adj feel. a 1/4 of a turn makes a pretty big difference on my bike. but once it's set, i forget and just ride.

not only is it a great shock, but it's price is very reasonable.:cheers:

i observed that on my v10 2008 came with fox dhx5 of 228 mm length not with the usually 220mm. so i need a 228mm roco wc but on marzocchi`s website for `08 models are only available in 222 and 241mm. could affect somehow a 222mm shock the geometry of my v10?