Quantcast

v10 carbon fender broke, what to do?

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
so basically trying to finisha run on a flat the top 1/3 of the exposed part of the fender ripped off somehow. The part remaining is ripped and jagged. i dont want to be riding and get hurt because during the off season i didnt take care of it. How would you guys do to round it off? is there a way, would dremeling the edges work? thanks

caseyo

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Reno
I had a V10 in 05, and the extra part cut my leg up in a wreck, so i cut it flush, so it didn't stick up so far. So cut it flush, or remove it. Your shock will be fine. If you must, SC will sell you a new one.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
take the stupid thing off. the dhx's come fully sealed with wipper seals and outer seals to keep anything and everything out of them. ohh and your bearings man unless you have some old school rig (not v10) then they are sealed as well. just remember man the m3's use a similar setup and dont bother with stupid girly things like a carbon fender, and well no problems seem to come of them. ohh one more thing, the v10 is the only dh rig that comes with a fender and the only one that has something useless on it. take the thing off and join the rest of the world.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
make sure to wear saftey glasses and something to cover you nose and mouth. carbon fiber likes to go everywhere and well getting that **** in your nose and mouth is bad, but your eyes would be a nono.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
well first, you should probably stop crying about a part on your bike that doesnt matter, like everyone else said, just cut it flush, the top part only keeps ur ass clean anyway :biggrin:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
As stated above, a dremel and a cutoff wheel. That's what I did when mine broke. You would be surprised how inexpensive the replacement is from SC. Give them a call.

And I agree with running the fender. It keeps crap out of the shock. Even if the shock is sealed good, the bike is easier to wash if there isn't mud and grass packed into the shock.

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
As stated above, a dremel and a cutoff wheel. That's what I did until I did when mine broke. You would be surprised how inexpensive the replacement is from SC. Give them a call.

And I agree with running the fender. It keeps crap out of the shock. Even if the shock is sealed good, the bike is easier to wash if there isn't mud and grass packed into the shock.

thank you for the intelligent reply, i will try to trim it down a little or it doesnt have pointy edges

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
originally posted by snowmongoose
superglue!
(seriously, epoxy if you really feel the need)
re: weight.... come on, this is the DH section...
more weight = more momentum!
:P
so thats why ironhorse's new wc weighs 50lbs, and companies are constantly striving to make lighter and stronger dh pars... yeh i guess your right mr. mongoose.

ohh and konahucker something else you might want to try... take a piece of triming tape, or electrical tape and make a nice little edge for you to cut up too. this will take all the edges away and give you the same look that it had before. then when the cutting is done man take some epoxy and put it on top of the fiber, and you are done. although i still think the fender is a dumb idea.

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
so thats why ironhorse's new wc weighs 50lbs, and companies are constantly striving to make lighter and stronger dh pars... yeh i guess your right mr. mongoose.

ohh and konahucker something else you might want to try... take a piece of triming tape, or electrical tape and make a nice little edge for you to cut up too. this will take all the edges away and give you the same look that it had before. then when the cutting is done man take some epoxy and put it on top of the fiber, and you are done. although i still think the fender is a dumb idea.
thats a good idea. i will try that.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
yeh man it will help keep the exsisting epoxy intaked and well once that **** goes the fiber will just fall apart. good luck with it man and show pics too incase there are others out there who want to see how its done.