Quantcast

v10 suspension setup

Pierluc

Chimp
Nov 17, 2006
Just wondering ... how do you guys setup the rear suspension on the v10 ? ( DHX5.0 on new v10 model ). I just got one and im having a hard time setuping it. do you guys really use 4 inches of sag ? i weight 175pounds with the 450spring and 150psi / 7 click in propedal in the shock but i am only getting 3 inches. Dropping the psi to 130 makes it sag 4 inches but then it feels really sluggish and bottoms out quite often.

do i need ... higher spring and less psi ? lower spring and more psi ? more bottom out resistance ? pro pedal ?

thx much

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sounds like you've got the correct spring. At 175 you should be getting plenty of sag - is the spring preloaded? If you're not sure, try loosening the spring collar until the spring is loose, then snugging it down just a bit. you shouldn't really be using the boost valve (air pressure) for sag adjustments.

Also, have you tried reducing the volume of the piggy back chamber? That will help it ramp up more as you get deeper in the travel. Once you get the sag about right, use the boost valve and chamber volume adjust to dial in your preferred shock rate characteristics.

PS, "setuping" is a cool new word.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Don't go to a 400 spring. Those bikes are overleveraged and it will bottom like crazy.
drop the air pressure to zero, crank up the bottom out force some, set the pressure to what generates the correct sag. It should bottom less then.
Also try the bike in the dirt before writing the setup off as too sluggish.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Don't go to a 400 spring. Those bikes are overleveraged and it will bottom like crazy.
drop the air pressure to zero, crank up the bottom out force some, set the pressure to what generates the correct sag. It should bottom less then.
Also try the bike in the dirt before writing the setup off as too sluggish.
Just make sure you set the pressure above the 75psi minimum on old shocks, and 125 minimum on new shocks, or else you can really wreck the shock.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Just make sure you set the pressure about the 75psi minimum on old shocks, and 125 minimum on new shocks, or else you can really wreck the shock.
Thanks Fraser, I guess I wasn't specific enough about that:busted:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
The above advice is correct.

Reduce the camber volume.
Set air pressure to at least 75psi. Probably closer to 100-110 psi.
refine sag to 4" with the spring preload collar.

And yes, it might feel a little slow in the parking lot. But when you point it down hill through a rock garden and keep accelerating, then you will understand.

I would avoid running too much pressure though since it will firm it up too much and slow you down. I have helped out a few guys with V10s running 150psi that complained that something just wasn't right. After dropping the pressure, they were happy.

Pierluc

Chimp
Nov 17, 2006
ok its good enough for me now :) 110 psi, 3 turn of spring preload, 7 click propedal, bottom out resistance all the way on

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
ok its good enough for me now :) 110 psi, 3 turn of spring preload, 7 click propedal, bottom out resistance all the way on
STOP. Remove that spring. 3 turns is WAY past the maximum of 2 turns. 3 turns can cause coil bind, can cause the spring to break, can cause the shock body to strip etc. It is VERY bad.

You need a heavier spring.

Pierluc

Chimp
Nov 17, 2006
Transcend, you sound right on that one :) i though it was a maximum of 3 turns

from dhx manual : turn the preload ring clockwise no more than full two turns after the preload ring engages the spring

i though it was 2 more turn after the 1 turn thats actually holding the spring, ill slack it down to 2 turns shouldnt make a big diff

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
the typical rule of thumb for a 2.75-3" stroke spring is no more that 8-10mm of spring preload. Not sure why Fox says no more than 2 turns. Isn't the thread pitch about 1-2 mm?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
the typical rule of thumb for a 2.75-3" stroke spring is no more that 8-10mm of spring preload. Not sure why Fox says no more than 2 turns. Isn't the thread pitch about 1-2 mm?
Well I don't know the actual scientific reasoning behind it, but i can tell you form my experience, they can do all sorts of really bad things with more than 2 turns. I have seen the spring retainer crooked, causing the body to strip and all sorts of other issues, including coilbinding on the higher weight, lower stroke springs that are already super tight under compression. I doubt that that would be an issue with a 350 by 3" though.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Well I don't know the actual scientific reasoning behind it, but i can tell you form my experience, they can do all sorts of really bad things with more than 2 turns. I have seen the spring retainer crooked, causing the body to strip and all sorts of other issues, including coilbinding on the higher weight, lower stroke springs that are already super tight under compression. I doubt that that would be an issue with a 350 by 3" though.
Huh. Anyway, here is Tim Flock's 5th setup guide. He states 8mm. That is the same as what progressive always said too.

http://www.tftunedshox.com/progressive/setupcoil.htm

I guess you could go on the safe side with 2 turns. I am personally running more on my 5th on my V10. Probably about 3 turns.

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
while we are on the subject, my v-10 has a swinger 6way on it with a 450 spring, I weigh 190( more with gear). it has NEVER felt right. 500 spring? more preload? I run about 125 psi. HELP..thanks

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
while we are on the subject, my v-10 has a swinger 6way on it with a 450 spring, I weigh 190( more with gear). it has NEVER felt right. 500 spring? more preload? I run about 125 psi. HELP..thanks
You could try it. I am 195 and the 450 is good for me. I considered trying a 500 when I was pushing 210 a few months ago.

I guess I could try to answer it better if you could describe the issue in a little more detail.

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
ok, the bike seems to soft , doesn't bottom but doesn't accelerate the way I feel it should, it works in the rocks but seems slugish under power. I do have another new swinger shock, maybe I'll give it a try.
thanks for the input.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Ok, try some more low speed compression to help. I think your describing that you want to be able to pedal harder out of corners and pump the terrain more. Is that correct?

Step it up in half turn increments. That should have only a little effect on the rock absorbing square edged hits. If you still can not get enough, bump up the pressure 10 psi at a time since you are likely hitting it so hard that the HSC is opening up.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
i've never ridden with a DHX on my v10, but i'm 170lbs or so and run a 450# spring on a roco.
i highly recommend the ROCO on the V10...it's buttery smooth and hyperactive.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Wait...so it matters how much we rotate the tightener thingy for the spring? I know not to bring it half way or closer as a general rule...but at what point do you tighten it to much?

I tightend mine by hand on my Vanilla R till it felt right...:imstupid:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Wait...so it matters how much we rotate the tightener thingy for the spring? I know not to bring it half way or closer as a general rule...but at what point do you tighten it to much?

I tightend mine by hand on my Vanilla R till it felt right...:imstupid:
2 full turns from when the retainer touches the spring. You should read your manual sometime...

Pierluc

Chimp
Nov 17, 2006
i have set the shock like they say on santacruz website and it seems to be better that way, 150psi, 7click propedal. seems to stick to the ground better, doesnt bottom out and doesnt feel like im riding a pillow. ill just play with the bottom out resistance for the rest of it.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
while we are on dhx and springs. is it okay to run a 400 x 3.0 if my dhx came with a 550 x 3.25. the 550 is soo heavy i can barely get it 3 deep into the travel. both of their lenths are the same

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
i have set the shock like they say on santacruz website and it seems to be better that way, 150psi, 7click propedal. seems to stick to the ground better, doesnt bottom out and doesnt feel like im riding a pillow. ill just play with the bottom out resistance for the rest of it.
7 clicks of pro-pedal seems a lot of L/S compression for any bike IMO.I don't have a V10 but I run 3 clicks on my Demo 8 and only 1 on my Nomad ,anything more than that and I start loosing traction and the bikes feels like crap...

From my understanding the pro-pedal as nothing to do (or very little)with your bike bottoming out or not.That's what the big blue Bottom Out knob is for on your shock.I would try to start running the shock with no compression at all and then add more from there rather than starting in the middle of nowhere...