Quantcast

Vail needs to include a "reach around" in the price of their Lift Ticket

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
The contest between Vail and Aspen ski areas over which is the highest has nothing to do with mountain elevation.

It's all about the price of a lift ticket.

The Aspen Skiing Co. hiked its single-day lift ticket price to $82 last week, making it - for a while - the highest-priced ticket among U.S. ski resorts.

Vail countered, jumping its price from $77 a day to $85.

Until recently, it's been the other way around. Aspen was tops in ticket prices. But this year, Aspen officials say they're done, that they have no more price increases planned. And Vail's reservation center says the top-tier holiday ticket price won't go above the $85 mark.

But there's more at work than just profit and loss built into the price of a ticket, analysts say. There's also prestige and marketing.

Marketing professor Meg Campbell at the University of Colorado's Leeds School of Business said many times consumers assume price equals quality. Campbell says by labeling themselves the highest-priced ski resorts, Aspen and Vail also imply they are the best ski areas.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I'll be in CO tomorrow night. Breck and Keystone are on my list, hopefully I wont be paying $70 + for a lift ticket, but I wont be surprised or deterred either way, I guess.

SpikeJones

Chimp
Nov 2, 2006
In Der Fuhrer's face
Marketing professor Meg Campbell at the University of Colorado's Leeds School of Business said many times consumers assume price equals quality. Campbell says by labeling themselves the highest-priced ski resorts, Aspen and Vail also imply they are the best ski areas.
And look at all of the goobers who buy into that lame marketing ploy. I always skied the mom & pop type resorts if I got bored with XC, which was free. Cooper near Leadville was my favorite budget resort.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
DON'T GO TO KEYSTONE!!! Visit Copper... or A-Basin... or Mary Jane... or even Loveland for God's sake. Just not Keystone.
Ok....christ.....what is so bad about it? Ive heard its fun. I been to breck and it was nice. Bear in mind Im an east coaster, so its all great to me.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
The crowds are what make Keystone especially bad.
Moms says Loveland is where i should go on the holiday weekend cause the resorts are packed. That correct?
Also, what would you recommend, a rental or my 3-year-old bashed up Lamar board?

Edit: Yeah, during the week. Wed-Fri

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Copper and mary jane for the win.
Hells yeah. I used to work R & S lifts at Copper. There's awesome terrain if you know where to look.

I don't really rate Keystone either, but I've only ridden there at night so that's probably not a fair assessment.

Loveland can seriously go off on a good day. Used to work there too.

And ahhhh, Steamboat. Beautiful Steamboat.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Moms says Loveland is where i should go on the holiday weekend cause the resorts are packed. That correct?
Also, what would you recommend, a rental or my 3-year-old bashed up Lamar board?

Edit: Yeah, during the weekd. Wed-Fri
Yep - Loveland's a good call. You'll still battle the Front Range traffic assuming you're driving back into Denver, but the crowds there will pale compared to Keystone.

I'd say go with the old board - of course, I don't board. :D

Edit: Looks like a good forecast, too! http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=PUB&map.x=94&map.y=19

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yep - Loveland's a good call. You'll still battle the Front Range traffic assuming you're driving back into Denver, but the crowds there will pale compared to Keystone.

I'd say go with the old board - of course, I don't board. :D
Well then, Loveland sounds good. Im not much of a boarder, I go maybe twice a year to crappy east coast places, hence my minimal investment, but i do hate rentals.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
With all the snow, Im prolly not going to bring my bicycle now. But would a fly rod come in handy? Anyone?

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Steamboat is very nearly the perfect resort. If they had *any* steeps it would be perfect.
I've heard it referred to as Flatboat before. That, and there's too many wannabe freakin cowboys. WTF is the deal with that?

I'd bail on Loveland if it's windy and maybe if it hasn't snowed in a while. Not being able to ride the terrain off chair 9 sucks and it can get icy almost everywhere without fresh pow.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
239$?

WHERE IS THE JUSTICE?

I guess the 700$ combined Alta/Snowbird pass here (that's for STUDENTS) makes up for the gas you have to use to get to any CO resort...

All the Park ****ty resorts are 70-80$. Worst skiing here, too.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
239$?

WHERE IS THE JUSTICE?

I guess the 700$ combined Alta/Snowbird pass here (that's for STUDENTS) makes up for the gas you have to use to get to any CO resort...

All the Park ****ty resorts are 70-80$. Worst skiing here, too.
Hey, man - you gotta *PAY* for all that great snow. Remember - we get Eastern-type snow compared to Utah. ;)

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
The guys that I know that fly fish don't fish in the winter. But that's just the 2 fellas that I know. As far as bringing your bike, you might as well... it's likely that you could get a ride in on the Front Range. Seriously.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Sure - you could hit up the S Platte river up by Deckers. I think it's designated Gold Medal waters through there.

http://www.coloradofishing.net/gm_splatte.htm
Ah cool. My understanding of CO Gold Medal waters is just that its all catch and release, single hook, no barb...right? Thats okay, I dont really eat fish.

Hey N8,

You can flyfish in winter even in Vail.
http://www.gorsuch-outfitters.com/guided_trips/winter.htm
Thanks for giving me some good advice though. I mean really, I appreciate that.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
The guys that I know that fly fish don't fish in the winter. But that's just the 2 fellas that I know. As far as bringing your bike, you might as well... it's likely that you could get a ride in on the Front Range. Seriously.
Listen to The Man, BS. He speaks the truth.

Although with a forecast like this, you probably should just stick to skiing & fishing:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?CityName=Littleton&state=CO&site=BOU

And maybe some drinkin' :D

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Ah cool. My understanding of CO Gold Medal waters is just that its all catch and release, single hook, no barb...right? Thats okay, I dont really eat fish.

Hey N8,

You cant flyfish in winter even in Vail.
http://www.gorsuch-outfitters.com/guided_trips/winter.htm
Thanks for giving me some good advice though. I mean really, I appreciate that.

i'm not saying you cant... i'm just saying that standing mountain rivers in the summertime is enough to numb your legs thru your waders, I cant imagine doing it in the winter... where you hand are also wet and freezing...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Hmm.

I probably will just leave the bike at home and bring fishing gear. I dont think I'll get a guide, maybe just a map and some local advice. Definitely will have some beer money with me though.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
i'm not saying you cant... i'm just saying that standing mountain rivers in the summertime is enough to numb your legs thru your waders, I cant imagine doing it in the winter... where you hand are also wet and freezing...
Cold just hurts. Thats it. Its nothing compared to the joy I get from fishing. If fishing kept me from getting fat, i probably wouldnt mountain bike.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I think the rules are that you can keep, but the limit's low.... some waters I've fished on the S Platte *have* been C&R only, but I don't think that was a Medal section.

If you don't eat fish, it's a moot point. :thumb:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
chutes off morningside not steep enough for you?
I don't consider 100 feet of 40 degree chute actual "steeps." :D Don't get me wrong - Xmas Tree Bowl & N St Pats is fun, just not proper "steeps."

I heard there's a lift up there now.:disgust1:
Yep - the Morningside lift serves some *epically* flat terrain. :plthumbsdown: And it's actually faster to hike the ridge than ski down to Morningside & ride up to the weather station.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I think the rules are that you can keep, but the limit's low.... some waters I've fished on the S Platte *have* been C&R only, but I don't think that was a Medal section.

If you don't eat fish, it's a moot point. :thumb:
we used to do most of our fishing in the Quality Waters of the San Juan River below the Navajo Dam near Farmington, NM.

Set up camp for a couple weeks in early Aug and fish in the morning, tie flies in the afternoon and fish in the evening....

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
How's that work out per acre of skiable terrain?

Compare to Snowshoe WV with $67/day for 234 acres.

I think the parking lot at Vail is bigger than that.

Also consider sharing it with 12,000 "Southern Bullets!"

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yep - the Morningside lift serves some *epically* flat terrain. :plthumbsdown: And it's actually faster to hike the ridge than ski down to Morningside & ride up to the weather station.
Yeah the times I went out there you had to hike. Steep or not it was by far the best snow on the mountain. That's actually where I dropped my first 40 footer.

I guess those chutes are pretty short.........still fun though.

You should come out and ski eagle's nest at squaw sometime. Steep.