Quantcast

Valve Stem ?'s

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
I did a search, but couldnt find anything. I might not have looked far enough back. I just have a quick question. On my introduction thread I mentioned I was buying a Giant full suspension bike. I picked it up last night and it had 2 flat tires. I aired up the rear just fine. When I got to the front however, it has this weird valve stem. It has a thing that screws into and out of it, but will not come completely out. I cannot figure out how to air this up. Is this just a busted valves stem?

The bronze/brass colored portion is the part that screws/unscrews. There was no cap on this stem either.

Any sort of point in the right direction is greatly appreciated. I am itching to ride this bike. Thanks.

Parker

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I really can't see, but I think it is just a presta valve and not a shrader. Nothing very different, just size. If you don't like it, you can drill out your rims to fit a shrader valve.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
To use it, there is a part ontop that you need to unthread a bit, but not all the way, and then get a presta pump and pump it up, then thread the bit back down. To release air from the tube, you can unthread the peice, then push the little peice sticking up and the air should release. I hope that wasn't confusing.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
You can buy converters at your bike store for like 2 dollars. They just screw on to the top of it. Ask for a presta to schrader adaptor. When you put it on unscrew that piece on the end of the valve a bit then push the adaptor on and screw it on.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
haha now i really know your a newb.:) ;)

Most pumps, both floor and compact models can pump presta and shrader. It can be a hassle when you have both kinds since you're having to switch the guts back and forth. They have pumps that have both nozzles for simple lazy people but i don't have one haha (i really should!).

The one good thing about the presta (one in your picture) is that you can ride with no cap on it, and it won't fill with mud or dirt. Other than that i can't think of any real benefit from one over the other....

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
I just have a Bell foot pump. It came with a couple of adapters, for inflating footballs, basketballs, and such. Do you think it will be able to inflate it?

BTW, thanks for the quick replies.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Some rims are drilled for schrader (the "normal" valve), and have grommets for presta (the valves you have). Some are drilled only for presta, and you will have ream the hole to fit schrader.

Presta are the standard on road bikes, and most higher end XC bikes come with presta as well. The advantage is it is a much lighter valve where weight matters the most, the wheel.

The disadvantage is for a person is used to schrader valves, their pumps won't work. A pump you would buy at Target would not have a presta adaptor (which is a $1 item). Every pump you would get at a bike shop would fit presta and schrader.

Frankly, many "serious" riders scoff at an allegiance to schrader, but many of my friends run schrader because it is common in the DH world, where a few grams are less important.

Run what you prefer, but keep in mind that many riders, including myself, run presta.