Quantcast

Vans/510/Shimano SPD

Tdubb

Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Going to start riding clipped for trail riding.Was hoping to get some feedback on shoes.Likes and dislikes.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
i didnt mind my shimano shoes. I think i might even keep them for next season since the new ones are ugly as hell.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
You need to first choose which style of shoe you want. Either the more casual looking "DH" style clipless shoes, like the Shimano MP66 or 5.10 offering, or the lighter/stiffer XC shoes, like a Shimano M183. I have both and use each of them. If you ride trails with stream crossings and you are likely to get your feet wet, I would recommend one of the more traditional XC shoes because they have less material and won't end up being boat anchors once they get wet.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
i didnt mind my shimano shoes. I think i might even keep them for next season since the new ones are ugly as hell.

Wow, you're right. Those are hideous. Better buy new pairs before the current ones are all gone.

Love my shimano shoes. They have nice DH and XC spd offerings. Specialized xc shoes are nice as well.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Just some input on the Warners:

I've been on a pair for a few months now. One of the things that surprised me was their stiffness. I previously had a pair of 661 Filters that I ran into the ground, so maybe over time they got softer from their original stiffness.. The Filters were a great shoe and served me well.

Going to the Warners was tough due to the stiffness change, and they don't have an ideal cleat position. I was able to place the cleat where I wanted, but at the end of the side to side range. They bug me in another aspect too; the cleat isn't tucked in very tight. You kinda have that roadie-shuffle walking around in them. Still not as bad as a high-end MTB or road shoe. Lastly, they have a velcro strap near the top of the laces and it's at the end of it's adjustment for my feet. It's removable, but I prefer using it to add some tightness.

Hope this helps. They're still a great shoe, but not without fault.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The vans wont last long if you do any hike a bike. I like the Pearl Izumi Trans Alp. Its the only shoe Ive ever had last more than 2 seasons. I just bought the Shimano SH-MT53 shoe and they are super nice.