Quantcast

Vans Gravel Opinions

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Any longer terms opinions on the Vans Gravel shoes now that they've been available for a while? Fit, durability, gripiness? Thanks!

goodgrief

Monkey
Aug 13, 2008
Innerleithen, Scotland
love mine! grippy, durable, comfy etc..
last shoes were 5.10 freeride, they fell apart and lost comfort from the insole quickly. the gravels have a long term quality about them that the freerides never did.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Based on the fact they've not inspired their own thread and from comments to me by owners, they're no more impressive than an ordinary set of gum sole Vans, which is sad to me since buying a pair of awesome new Vans Rowleys and immediately gutting them to put 5.10 Stealth S1 rubber on is too expensive.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I've always just used skate shoes up until getting a pair of Vans Gravel this spring. Love them. That first ride or two was really kind of scary, I wasn't expecting them to be as grippy as they are. I couldn't adjust my foot without deliberately picking it up off the pedal. But I think people say the same thing about 5.10s.

Really comfy, really grippy. I can't say much about durability since I've only owned them for a few months.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Rubber compound specifically - are they sticky like 5.10 Stealth or like Vans gum sole or what? I've never had much luck on bikes or skateboards with non-gumsole Vans (IE the colored soles I've seen on pics of the Gravel below); that stuff always seems to be higher durometer and grips like @ss.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Rubber compound specifically - are they sticky like 5.10 Stealth or like Vans gum sole or what? I've never had much luck on bikes or skateboards with non-gumsole Vans (IE the colored soles I've seen on pics of the Gravel below); that stuff always seems to be higher durometer and grips like @ss.
vans has a website, and on that website i found this:

"Flat pedal enthusiasts rejoice! We've created a shoe that not only performs on the bike, but looks good enough to be worn off of it. Flats, platforms, whatever you call your traditional BMX-style pedals, the Gravel shoes will stick to them like glue, thanks to our custom-designed TRAX rubber outsole featuring our WaffleGrip tread pattern. The Vanslite midsole will keep the weight down and the comfort level high all day, while the Impactsorb heel insert will prevent any heel bruising. The entire upper is wrapped in abrasive-resistant synthetic materials that also repel water. A reflective sidestripe and woven labels top off the details.

TRAX Rubber specializes in engineering high-friction rubber for performance sports footwear. Originally developed for technical rock climbing where high friction and grip is essential to performance, TRAX Rubber is now used by top performance footwear companies for various action sports applications."

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
OK, that's some sweet marketing-ese and some wicked TM'd acronyms... but how about some rider reviews? Please compare traction between Vans Gravel and 5.10 Impacts.

Thanks in advance!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I didn't like them for a three reasons:

1) they are definitely NOT as grippy as 5.10s and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. For some it's a good thing, for others (like me) not so much.
2) They are flexier than Impacts. If you only rode DH they might be ok, but I do long trail rides on flat pedals. After a few hours in the saddle the arch of my foot would start hurting because the sole of the shoe has more give than Impacts.
3) extra ribber on the front of the toebox - accidentally smack a rock and you'll feel it more with the Vans than Impacts.

they do look cooler tho - that is why I wanted to like them so much.

that is all..

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
Sorry to drag this up again...

Can anyone comment on the fit of the sneakers? Comparing them to the 510 Freeriders, are they 1/2 size smaller/bigger/true to size?

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
I didn't like them for a three reasons:

1) they are definitely NOT as grippy as 5.10s and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. For some it's a good thing, for others (like me) not so much.
2) They are flexier than Impacts. If you only rode DH they might be ok, but I do long trail rides on flat pedals. After a few hours in the saddle the arch of my foot would start hurting because the sole of the shoe has more give than Impacts.
3) extra ribber on the front of the toebox - accidentally smack a rock and you'll feel it more with the Vans than Impacts.

they do look cooler tho - that is why I wanted to like them so much.

that is all..
i agree with you on all of this stuff...

i like that they aren't quite as sticky....to me on 5.10's my feet would get hung up on awkward spots at times and it was almost too difficult to move them back to center

regarding the toe box, i have 3 black toes from bending them over my pedal while smashing a rock...i would love to see a more reinforced toe added to a half cab sized version of these...that would be the ultimate flat pedal shoe....to me anyway

IC

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
i agree with you on all of this stuff...

i like that they aren't quite as sticky....to me on 5.10's my feet would get hung up on awkward spots at times and it was almost too difficult to move them back to center

regarding the toe box, i have 3 black toes from bending them over my pedal while smashing a rock...i would love to see a more reinforced toe added to a half cab sized version of these...that would be the ultimate flat pedal shoe....to me anyway

IC
Every time I get a new pair of Impact - I need to break them in. I will admit that when they are new, they do feel a bit too sticky. But after a few good rides (enough to dig pin marks in the sole) they are awesome...

they fit like every other pair of vans...true to size...haven't worn 5.10 freeriders, but i'm an 11 in all 20+ vans i've owned and i'm an 11 in these
what he said...

I wear 9.5's in Vans and 5.10.

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
they fit like every other pair of vans...true to size...haven't worn 5.10 freeriders, but i'm an 11 in all 20+ vans i've owned and i'm an 11 in these
That's weird... I wear size 9.5 in Vans SK8 HIs, 10 in their puffy skate shoes, but a 9.5 in 510 FRs and a 9.5 in all other sneakers. Think I'll just bite the bullet and try out a pair. Maybe wear thinner socks if they come up too tight. Thanks, dude.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'm a 10 in 5.10 shoes and a 10.5 in every pair of Vans I've had in the last ten years - probably 15-20 pairs.