Quantcast

Velocity Body armor......

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
That is an EXACT replica of a dainese safety jacket. It can in no way better, as it IS a safety jacket. Same chest piece, same back piece, same closed cell foam on the back and shoulders. The only difference is the material. That appears to be made of lycra, which Dainese went away from ages ago as it is way too hot and reeks after about 3 runs. The kidney belt looks too big, but the rest looks identical.

Methinks Dainese is licensing this possibly...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I don't like the look of the kidney belt. Personally I ride the new Rockgardn stuff. It fits well, it's light, it's breathable, and the price is right. There were tons of changes for '06 and the new stuff is awesome. I would recommend it.

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
Transcend said:
That is an EXACT replica of a dainese safety jacket. It can in no way better, as it IS a safety jacket. Same chest piece, same back piece, same closed cell foam on the back and shoulders. The only difference is the material. That appears to be made of lycra, which Dainese went away from ages ago as it is way too hot and reeks after about 3 runs. The kidney belt looks too big, but the rest looks identical.

Methinks Dainese is licensing this possibly...
whats with the total dis off the jacket. if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all if its not productive

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
konahucker43 said:
whats with the total dis off the jacket. if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all if its not productive
Are you high? Seriously, are you oon the shotbus right at this very moment? Reading comprehension isn't high on the public education scale of things to teach is it?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Transcend said:
Are you high? Seriously, are you oon the shotbus right at this very moment? Reading comprehension isn't high on the public education scale of things to teach is it?
Apparently common sense isn't high on the scale either.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
if you read the stuff on their website they comment on how the Dianese has the alum. honeycomb in the back protector and how it is useless after 1 crash but to me their back plate looks exactly the same. I was curious if this was at least just as good as the Dianese suit. I have a Dianese I bought last season but I am looking for a jacket for my girlfriend and I want something at least as good w/o the price tag. I have tried the 661 and it was a total waste of money.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
quickneonrt said:
if you read the stuff on their website they comment on how the Dianese has the alum. honeycomb in the back protector and how it is useless after 1 crash but to me their back plate looks exactly the same. I was curious if this was at least just as good as the Dianese suit. I have a Dianese I bought last season but I am looking for a jacket for my girlfriend and I want something at least as good w/o the price tag. I have tried the 661 and it was a total waste of money.
You should look no further than the Rockgardn Flak Jacket. It comes in small sizes, so it'll fit your girlfriend even if she's small.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
quickneonrt said:
It looks like they bought the rights to both the suit and the plastics. The honeycomb is inserted after molding, they may indeeed leave it out, but it is there for a reason. Saying it works for onely one crash is BS. It works as long as it doesnt take an insane crash, much like any helmet does. At that point, you should probably be checking it for integrity anyways and will be happy that plate was there.

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
Transcend said:
no but your sitting over hear with your little dainese link in your sig, when someone asked about a jacket similar and alot cheaper you step in saying its i really not any good and alot worse than the dainese. i mean you didnt have to say anything

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Transcend said:
It looks like they bought the rights to both the suit and the plastics. The honeycomb is inserted after molding, they may indeeed leave it out, but it is there for a reason. Saying it works for onely one crash is BS. It works as long as it doesnt take an insane crash, much like any helmet does. At that point, you should probably be checking it for integrity anyways and will be happy that plate was there.
Their suit is aimed at motorcycle riders and they claim it to be the highest certified level of protection, the Dianse suits are also. The part that confuses me is the back plate. i figure the alum honeycomb in the Dianese would add to the protection, an extra impact absorber. And if they leave it out do they use something different in place of it? Maybe something that dosen't crush like the alum might. Yes. I realize with any bad crash things should and would be replaced. I was wondering if anyone had expierence w/ these jackets and how the fit and protection is.
I will also look into the RG I never really liked their older stuff but the new 06 looks nice.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
konahucker43 said:
no but your sitting over hear with your little dainese link in your sig, when someone asked about a jacket similar and alot cheaper you step in saying its i really not any good and alot worse than the dainese. i mean you didnt have to say anything
he never said it was worse and he actually said it was the same. then he went on to show what he didnt like about it and why he didnt like it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
konahucker43 said:
Apparently, you still can't read.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
quickneonrt said:
Their suit is aimed at motorcycle riders and they claim it to be the highest certified level of protection, the Dianse suits are also. The part that confuses me is the back plate. i figure the alum honeycomb in the Dianese would add to the protection, an extra impact absorber. And if they leave it out do they use something different in place of it? Maybe something that dosen't crush like the alum might. Yes. I realize with any bad crash things should and would be replaced. I was wondering if anyone had expierence w/ these jackets and how the fit and protection is.
I will also look into the RG I never really liked their older stuff but the new 06 looks nice.
I wouldn't ride a motorcycle without the honeycomb. One good off and you will be super happy you have it - there is a reason they are the #1 moto armour makers. The alu honeycomb is meant to crush and absorb impact when a rider hist the ground hard, flat, and slides - your pretty typical moto crash. Bike crashes are more isolated in nature, and the honeycomb doesn't make a big difference most of the time (unless of course you crash at mammoth on the Kami or something, then I could see it coming in handy).

My guess is that they just leave it empty - as it is the EXACT same mould. On a bicycle, it won't really make a difference 99% of the time. Most bike crashes are slow and have a much lower impact when compared to a superbike crash.

For the shortbus riders in this thread - the suit is identical except for the differences I mentioned. I live and breathe by dainese, this would be my second option if I couldn't afford a "real" safety jacket. The major drawback would be the kidney belt (too big, will cut mobility), the material (it WILL reek, and will definetly be MUCH hotter then a dainese) and the aforementioned honeycomb (my guess is that it is either hollow, or filled with foam).

D

DHmtber

hey bicyclist i agree the new body armor from Rg is unbelivable imporved for this year and is buy far the best for the money. i only have onle problem and that is with thier 06 knee gards i feel that thier are way to many unneeded straps to those pads, i know that is allows for a better fit to all, but really it takes like 30 minutes just to put them on

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
yeah i agree Dmmtbr the knee gards take way to long to put one but the new rockgardn jacket is a peice of art ment for dirt rocks and a hole bunch of fun.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I like the knee gaurds. The old ones tended to move around, but these things are secure. They do take a little while to put on but why waste less time putting on knee guards that don't work, and probably cost more?

Aug 11, 2003
Our team has been using the Velocity Gear Armor for a season and will be using it again next season. For me it was about time to replace my well worn (and used) Dainese Gladiator suit (which I absolutely loved).

The VG suit is nearly identical to my wife's old Dainese safety jacket. I think that the back-plate may even zip onto the Dainese stuff, but I can't remember if I tried or not before selling her suit (I'll try if I can locate a Safety Jacket).

The fit of the VG suit is similar to the Safety Jacket, but I think that the arm pads of the Safety Jacket are rotated outwards for a bit more of a natural fit.

One feature that I really enjoy about the VG gear is that the arm pads are secured via a cinch strap, in contrast to the velcro often used. In some crashes I've had velcro burst open, especially with use and age, rendering my armor semi-useless.

Overall I've been very happy with the VG armour and the Velocity Gear folks. The VG suit is a cheaper alternative the Dainese stuff, that has very similar features. I'd like to see them come out with a 3/4 suit...

If you guys/gals have any more questions feel free to drop me an email:

simon at steelcityracing.ca

Simon

Dufault01

Chimp
Nov 10, 2005
I think its identical to dainese. That honeycomb stuff for mountain biking is useless and just drives up the price for no reason. I dont know why anyone says that it will stink more then dainese. I have armour the made of the same material and its three years old and it still looks new and smells fine. Its called a washing machine. I think most people have heard of it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Dufault01 said:
I think its identical to dainese. That honeycomb stuff for mountain biking is useless and just drives up the price for no reason. I dont know why anyone says that it will stink more then dainese. I have armour the made of the same material and its three years old and it still looks new and smells fine. Its called a washing machine. I think most people have heard of it.
No, you don't. Dainese hasn't used lycra since about 1997. The velocity ISN"T the gray mesh of 3 years ago.