Quantcast

Ventana X-5 vs Turner Spot

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
I've posted before but it got rather crazy with lots of bike suggestions. So narrowing things down to only two frames which one would you pick and why?

Ventana X-5 or Turner 5.5 Spot

I'm 6'7" which makes the XXL Turner seem nice, but I'm used to slightly small frames. This would be used for aggressive XC, single track, few smallish drops, technical trails.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Either really. Both are great frames made by great companies. If both fit you and have the geometry that you like you can't really go wrong with either IMO.

I currently ride a Spot with Push rockers and dig it alot. I'd have no problems riding a Ventana. Althought I'd probably chose El Ciclon because I like the looks of the front triangle better than the X-5. If Sherwood is still making them a HH125 (re-badged Ventanas made to Hammerhead Bikes specs) would be a sweet ride too.

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
I got to ride a Spot for about 1 1/2-2miles on a local trail yesterday. Very nice, but it definitely made me think that the XXL spot would fit better than the XL X-5.

MMcG, I looked at 29ers but was under impressed with fork and wheel options what would you recommend?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Have a look see at this bike in this thread:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=284014

And he recently updated it.

You can get tough rims like Chris Holm, or Rhynolites, or the new up and coming Salsa Gordos, even WTB Dual Duty FRs would be good. And now you can have several different 29er forks with a thru axle including a White Brothers, Manitou, and Maverick.

Here's a link to the updated Sultan from that rider:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=334097

I'd say look hard at a Turner Sultan.

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Sultan is an awesome recommendation. The hot Sultan setup seems to be: 5.5 Spot rockers with Cane Creek DB shock 6.75*1.75 for 4.8 of travel coupled with a White F135. That's one of the cool things about turners...all the mix and matching you can do.

Of course Ventana's El Capitan 29er comes stock with 5" of travel.

Mark's right a 29er is probably going to be a better ride for you.

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
Thanks for the links! The Ventana site is saying 4" for the El Cap, does it come with an extra rocker set?

Has anyone ridden the F135? Someone mentioned having flex problems with the 32mm? I've currently got a Manitou Minute 3 that squirms all over and the last thing I want is another flexy fork.

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
If you get an El Cap you can spec the 5" rockers instead of the 4" ones and you don't need a custom specced shock.

I haven't heard that the F135 was that flexy with the 20mm axle.

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
I've got a LBS that may be able to get me a 29er demo. Probably not a softtail, but it'd give me something to compare against my 26 hardtail.

I'm trying to build a trip companion. So 1-2 rides per week on twisty single track in the woods near by and then weekends riding lifts at the ski resort or some techy stuff in the woods. I don't have much experience riding FS bikes, but from reading it looks like a 5" bike is where I want to end up for what I do.

I think I'm going to throw up a post about fork feedback in the 29er section.

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
Got any specs on the top tube length? I couldn't find the Lunchbox on their site, but they're not exactly known for keeping it up to-date. :)

Too many options. Upon doing more reading it looks like the WB F135 with the 20mm thru is a good fork; we'll see what comes up on the other thread. With my size it's just hard to find anyone to bribe with beer for a test ride on a frame my size. :)

I'm thinking building it up next March, spending 3.5-4k.

ONTHELEVEL

Chimp
Oct 24, 2007
2 blocks down on the left
I'am a super big fan of my Turner, I have ridden the Ventana but not spent alot of time on it. The Turner has been beat up pretty bad by a guy like me who is not the most graceful on the trail. It seems to hold up to the abuse and the suspension is superb on the long uphills.