Quantcast

VERMONT: Mt. Snow

DieselX

Monkey
May 26, 2004
New York City
Hey, I'm going to Mt. Snow this weekend, coming from NYC. Just wanted to know if there is something sick I should check it out in that region? I'm obviously going to be doing dh, but maybe there are some dirtjumps I can hit in the area. Post any info, thanks.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Echo said:
Word. Their tables are bigger than Whistler's. Except there's only 6 of them instead of 40 :D
There seemed to be a whole lot more than 6 when I was there. Are there only 6?

DieselX

Monkey
May 26, 2004
New York City
Yea I go to Diablo regularly, and will be racing at pkill this weekend, but I thought mt snow would be sick because its a bigger mountain and the us open was there... apparently NOT.

Diablo Has like 12 doubles on the whole mountain. There is a set of like 4-5 doubles in a row on Dominion, some random doubles on other trails, and 2 doubles on lower Dominion. The place is awesome, and I think they should hold competitions there.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
DieselX said:
...because its a bigger mountain and the us open was there... apparently NOT....
The US Open was at Diablo. Mount Snow hosts an NCS race. It is the one week out of the year that they are allowed to run the summit lift. For the rest of the summer, the DH course is closed. When you could use the summit lift all summer, the mountain was sick. Then they started using the lower lift (b/c the forrest service made them) and didn't touch the trails. What you end up with is trails that disapear when the hit open slope, or trails that suddenly turn up hill.
The real insult though is the sign that they set up during the NCS race. They charge to park, but claim that all the money goes to trail maintenance. Everyone I know would like to know who's trails, cuz it sure as hell aint theirs!

All Mount Blow is good for is sucking the money from your wallet.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Read about it on hcor.net here

As I read what MSEvents says, all I think is that they want to look like they are trying to do cool stuff, and then blame other factors beyond their control when things fail. Everything about that mountain sucks. I am trying to be optimistin, but can't. The list of small ski areas running highyl successful race(s) is fairly long, and one of the biggest mountains in the country can't pull it off well? I know that this thread is more about trail riding, but it is easiest for me to think of in terms of racing.

UR_urban

Chimp
Sep 28, 2004
Rochester, NY
When did they stop running the lift to the top?

I rode there two octobers ago (I remember Okoberfest was going on) and took the lift up. And it didnt seem to go any higher. I am confused.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
westernpenna said:
Anybody know if Diablo has a website? How much is it to stay there, for like a weekend.
Yes. It is linked to mountaincreek.com I think. On-mountain lodging is expensive, but there are a bunch of hotels in the area. I think that they are on/around Rt. 515. Do a search on "Diablo Lodging". I know it has come up before.