Quantcast

Vertically Roasted herb rubbed Chicken and Potatoes

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Simple yet tasty, why do it? fat drains out of the chicken yet the bird stays moist and tender [to lower the fat levels even more, roast potatoes seperately]

you will need a vertical roasting pan [looks like a giant grapefruit juicer]

Take a 5-7 pound roaster chicken rinse well inside and out
preheat oven to 400*

Herb rub: consists of fresh chopped rosemary, thyme, 1 bay leaf and add to taste, curry powder, garlic powder, black pepper and sea salt mixed with a teaspoon of olive oil [to hold it together]

with your fingers loosen the skin aaround the bird and stuff the rub between the skin and flesh, tie the legs up

half or quarter some Yukon Gold potatoes and set aside

place bird in oven at 400 for 30 minutes reduce heat to 350 and cook an additional 1hr for a 5 pound bird 1.5 hrs for a 7 pounder. depending on weight add the potatoes with 1 hr remaining the the base of the roasting pan, baste with the juices in the pan every 15 minutes... serve

cooling before serving

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
You could get one of these...

.....and do the same thing....the beer inside really makes for a moist chicken especially if you put a couple cloves of garlic and some fresh herbs in the can. I use a rub made from brown sugar, paprika, garilc and onion powder, allspice and some sage.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
You could get one of these...

.....and do the same thing....the beer inside really makes for a moist chicken especially if you put a couple cloves of garlic and some fresh herbs in the can. I use a rub made from brown sugar, paprika, garilc and onion powder, allspice and some sage.
two things,

1.the idea is to drain out the fats hence the neck down so the legs and wings can drain out

2. no way am I putting a thin aluminum can with paint in a 400 degree oven in my food....aluminum and paint vapors in my food is not a good combo

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
two things,

1.the idea is to drain out the fats hence the neck down so the legs and wings can drain out

2. no way am I putting a thin aluminum can with paint in a 400 degree oven in my food....aluminum and paint vapors in my food is not a good combo
Well that paint is better than that beer.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I've been cooking beer can chicken for years...never had any "paint" issues. As far as aluminum ingestion...you had better not take an antacid or use deoderant...or even table salt.

According to Food and Drug Administration FDA, "in a worst-case scenario, a person using uncoated aluminum pans for all cooking and food storage every day would take in an estimated 3.5 milligrams of aluminum daily." By contrast, "one antacid tablet can contain 50 milligrams of aluminum or more, and it is not unusual for a person with an upset stomach to consume more than 1,000 milligrams, or 1 gram, of aluminum per day. A buffered aspirin tablet may contain about 10 to 20 milligrams of aluminum." If you use these products, look for aluminum-free antacids and plain, non-buffered aspirin.

Other sources of aluminum exposure include:

table salt which is industrial sodium chloride--use a natural salt instead
baking powder 5 to 70 milligrams of sodium aluminum sulfate per teaspoon and baked goods and packaged baking mixes containing baking powder check your natural food store for aluminum-free baking powder and natural baking mixes and baked goods made with aluminum-free baking powder
antipersirants containing aluminum chlorohydrate again, check your natural food store for aluminum-free deodorants
aluminum beverage cans
aluminum foil
anti-dandruff preparations magnesium aluminum silicate or aluminum lauryl sulfate
feminime douches aluminum salts

As far as puttin the bird upside down to "drain the fats" is absurd...your puttin the fattiest part up...It's called the tail...my grandma always called it the "greaser" and for good reason.

The oven temp may be 400 degrees, but the can (with liquid in it) wouldnt get nearly that hot. What is the internal temp of a cooked chicken? 165 degrees...I can't see the can hitting much more than maybe 200 during cooking.

If the can feaks ya out that much, you can always go this route

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I've been cooking beer can chicken for years...never had any "paint" issues. As far as aluminum ingestion...you had better not take an antacid or use deoderant...or even table salt.

According to Food and Drug Administration FDA, "in a worst-case scenario, a person using uncoated aluminum pans for all cooking and food storage every day would take in an estimated 3.5 milligrams of aluminum daily." By contrast, "one antacid tablet can contain 50 milligrams of aluminum or more, and it is not unusual for a person with an upset stomach to consume more than 1,000 milligrams, or 1 gram, of aluminum per day. A buffered aspirin tablet may contain about 10 to 20 milligrams of aluminum." If you use these products, look for aluminum-free antacids and plain, non-buffered aspirin.

Other sources of aluminum exposure include:

table salt which is industrial sodium chloride--use a natural salt instead
baking powder 5 to 70 milligrams of sodium aluminum sulfate per teaspoon and baked goods and packaged baking mixes containing baking powder check your natural food store for aluminum-free baking powder and natural baking mixes and baked goods made with aluminum-free baking powder
antipersirants containing aluminum chlorohydrate again, check your natural food store for aluminum-free deodorants
aluminum beverage cans
aluminum foil
anti-dandruff preparations magnesium aluminum silicate or aluminum lauryl sulfate
feminime douches aluminum salts

As far as puttin the bird upside down to "drain the fats" is absurd...your puttin the fattiest part up...It's called the tail...my grandma always called it the "greaser" and for good reason.

The oven temp may be 400 degrees, but the can (with liquid in it) wouldnt get nearly that hot. What is the internal temp of a cooked chicken? 165 degrees...I can't see the can hitting much more than maybe 200 during cooking.

If the can feaks ya out that much, you can always go this route

I completely agree.....the first thing I thought when I saw eric strt6's pics were "Damn......he's cooking it upside down." :disgust1:

I've done a hundred of these birds with the beer can method....it's hands down the best way to do it. I'll also take a full bell pepper and cut the top off and fill it full of mushrooms, carrots, onions, spices...and PIIHP--a nice alternative.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've roasted many chickens many different ways. Based on my experience the best (hands down!) way is to follow the Zuni Cafe method. (Zuni is a restaurant in SF with a legendary roast chicken. Think you'd never order chicken in a restaurant? Think again.) The keys are seasoning the bird at least a day in advance, making sure it is completely dry before cooking, roasting at high heat, and letting it rest for 15-20 minutes before carving. I cook it in a cast iron skillet and it comes out with perfect crispy skin and moist, flavorful meat every time. No special equipment, just great technique.

I did a side-by-side comparison and can tell you with absolute certainty that seasoning a day in advance makes all the difference.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9123872/

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've been thinking about the "vertical roast" and the stated desire to drain the fats. Are you saying that only the fat drains and not other tasty chickeny goodness? How does that work? (I think I'd rather have the juices stay in the bird, for more flavor and moisture, even if it means more fat.) And why do you say draining the fat is a good thing, then turn around and baste the chicken in the drained fat? Just to get good skin?

Go on, convince me.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Another great way to cook a chicken is to pack it in salt. Put down a layer of foil, then a good layer of salt, plop the chicken on there and keep putting on the salt until it is completely covered. Then cover with the foil and bake. The salt turns into a crust and keeps all those wonderful juices in the chicken. I understand you can do it with fish too, but I've never tried it that way.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I've seen that done on the food network with fish...but dang that takes an assload of salt....

And yeah...draining fat? If I did that on all my food I could just sell my bikes. Fat=Horsepower.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Yep, takes a ton of salt, but the food doesn't taste salty. Just find a store that will sell it in bulk for fifteen cents a pound or something. We've always used coarse salt so I'm not sure if the finer stuff would work as well.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've had salt-crusted chicken at chinese restaurants. I found
that it works well for moisture but you are basically getting steamed chicken without the brown and crispy skin. And the flavor is not as good as seasoning at least a day in advance. For the best results you need to give it time for the salt (and other seasoning) to be pulled into the meat. Wet brining works on the same principals, but it also adds water which in my opinion can dilute the pure poultry flavors, and wet brining is also a bigger mess and hassle than dry brining.

This is an interesting read:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9506E3D7143CF936A15751C0A9629C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=print

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever cook meat at home again (not likely any time soon with a vegetarian fiancee).

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I've been thinking about the "vertical roast" and the stated desire to drain the fats. Are you saying that only the fat drains and not other tasty chickeny goodness? How does that work? (I think I'd rather have the juices stay in the bird, for more flavor and moisture, even if it means more fat.) And why do you say draining the fat is a good thing, then turn around and baste the chicken in the drained fat? Just to get good skin?

Go on, convince me.
OK.....the can is full of beer....that adds moisture to the bird as it evaporates and turns into steam. The steam heats and cooks the bird from the inside, while the convection heat takes care of the outside. You want to drain out the fat because birds are greasy--the idea here is to enjoy moist chicken without the artery-clogging grease that comes along with it. The skin will be nice and crispy if you're at 350 deg. or more. I don't baste the chicken in the drained fat--that's just crazy-talk.....it goes in the risotto!!! :clapping:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
OK.....the can is full of beer....that adds moisture to the bird as it evaporates and turns into steam. The steam heats and cooks the bird from the inside, while the convection heat takes care of the outside. You want to drain out the fat because birds are greasy--the idea here is to enjoy moist chicken without the artery-clogging grease that comes along with it. The skin will be nice and crispy if you're at 350 deg. or more. I don't baste the chicken in the drained fat--that's just crazy-talk.....it goes in the risotto!!! :clapping:
Ok, thanks, makes sense to an extent. I'm still not convinced about draining fat and adding moisture via steam - seems you'd lose flavor by draining it, and I'm not sure that moisture from steam could really penetrate. I'll have to try it sometime.