Quantcast

Victoria BC monkeys...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
What do you guys have in terms of DH riding (if any? I think you have to get back onto the mainland). I'm assuming you do more freeride on the island right? Northshore kinda stuff?...I'm just alergic to pedaling.

Since you don't get snow in the winter, just rain, what do you guys do for riding??? Dirt jumps?? (I guess I'll have to dust off the ol' hardtail and learn how to ride it).

Burnwood

Chimp
Nov 10, 2002
Victoria, BC
There is plenty of technical trail riding here. There is also the odd dirt jump place, although they seem to come and go quite. For the most part, dirt jumps are built on illegal land and often live short lives.

Downhilling on the other hand...Well, the only good stuff that I KNOW of is up island a bit. A company offers shuttles up to forbidden platuea. I've heard that it's good but I've never been myself.

PS...If you want to ride here, you just may have to learn how to pedal...

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Mount Washington is where you want to head.... lift service biking trails a available there. There'll be a DH race there next month too on the 29th August. BC Cup finals.

Other good biking can be found around Parksville and Nanaimo. Sadly you will have to do some pedalling.

Also near Victoria the Hartland area is pretty stocked with trails but again, you'll need to pedal.

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Shuttling:
Mt. Prevost in Duncan, Forbidden Plateau near Comox. check www.backcountrytaxi.com for shuttling service and acces status on Prevost.

Lift riding:
Mt Washington. Check www.mtwashington.bc.ca for info. 3 hours from Victoria, near comox and Forbidden.

Dirt Jumps:
"the range" in Nanimo. Just drive north from Vic. and you'll see them on our left while driving through Nanimo. 1.5 hr from Vic.
Sofa King at the dump. In victoria, any bike shop can get you there. Lots of other good stuff there, but you'll need to pedal. It is a bicycle after all.
BMX track in Victoria (Juan DeFuca) is good, broke my back there in March. There's a dope DS track in Parksville (2hrs from victoria) and I think a sweet DH course, but I haven't been there in the last few years.

"Free"riding:
Broom Hill in Sooke, The dump in victoria, Me.Tsuhalem in Duncan. Apparantly there's some good stuff in Port Alberni, Gold River, and Nanimo. Check out the Pinkbiike photo section.

MTB paradise island: Hornby, but unless you've had your head under a rock the whole time you've been riding, you already knew that.

Have a good time, if I could I'd tour you too all of those places, just so I had an excuse.

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Ohh, Winter? We put on a long sleve jersey and ride some more. I actually prefer rinding in the wet to the heat and dust of summer.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Awesome, thanks for all the info guys...I'll check it out. I was getting scared for a second that the closest place to ride DH would be in Vancouver!!