Quantcast

Victory!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Our goal was to get our utilities below $100 this month. We made the mark & beat it by nearly $25. :banana:

Once we get our clothesline I am betting we can get it down to $50. :biggrin:

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Majority of the bill gas or electric?
Haven't seen the breakdown yet. Just an email from La.

We have all but one bulb switched to CF & have run the AC for maybe 16 hours this summer (parents in town & it hit a sultry 80!). The only thing else we can cut out is the dryer.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Haven't seen the breakdown yet. Just an email from La.

We have all but one bulb switched to CF & have run the AC for maybe 16 hours this summer (parents in town & it hit a sultry 80!). The only thing else we can cut out is the dryer.
Well done. We average about $100/mo for ~2300 sq ft with 5 people. Summer usually makes up for winter when we can hit around $200/mo.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Cool. Love to see folks trying to cut down and not give so much $$ to the utility companies!

BTW..can I use your extra carbon footprint?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Our goal was to get our utilities below $100 this month. We made the mark & beat it by nearly $25. :banana:

Once we get our clothesline I am betting we can get it down to $50. :biggrin:
nice we dropped our bills in half by making a few living adjustments as well...good to see other trying to get involved...D

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
You know they play frisbee by candlelight.:disgust1:
Its dangerous I tell you.
They can't see well, and the next thing you know, they are crashing into their solar wind chime.
And I thought it was Laura's Judas' ankles.

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
It's expensive. It's almost $100 in fees just to use water. We do use a fair amount of water too. Corner lot, ~ $xxx,xxx landscaping, koi pond, sprinkler system, etc...

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
How're you crackers liking Wisconsin?

Ms.DNA and I just took a fact-finding trip through western Wisc. We liked Steven's Point a lot. We have put the DoD on hold for a few years and are looking to move north

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
we dry clothes on the close line in our attic all the time during the winter. my girlfriends house hangs it in their living room when the wood stove is on instead of putting a pot of water on it so the house doesn't dry out to bad.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
OOPS!.....Uh, I don't belong on here! I just jumped on this thread because it was titled, "Victory!".

I thought that is was about Victory Brewing Company in Downingtown, PA. Great beer!

Sorry for my intrusion. :-)

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
TN, isn't it you and Laura's goal to be totally off the 'grid' in a few years?
I rode out there a few years back! Is the MT Ale Works still goin'?
I was doing some work for Albertson's out there. Bozemon Bob, the RPh out there in your town! Great guy!
Anyway, stopped by to Carl Strong's. He sent me on a ride to "Emerald Lake"? I think that's what it was called.
Now, I KNOW that i'm trying to poach this thread.
Sorry.
Bozeman just brings back memories....

Jul 23, 2008
Morristown
Holy crap 400 bucks? i dont think my water bill for the last 2 years totals that. My average utilities bill is about 50 bucks, but i dont have a gas bill, only water and electric

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
TN, isn't it you and Laura's goal to be totally off the 'grid' in a few years?
My place is almost off the grid, Water is from a well and pond. Gas we have a large in ground tank, for the hot water heater. Electricity is partially on the grid and the rest is from three large solar panels. I have to pay rent but there are no utilities. In the future the owner is hoping to have about a 1/2 acre of solar panels so the electric company will be paying him. It is kind of nice knowing my place does not make much of an impact on things.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I just installed a grip of solar panels on the top of the toy hauler and can run a 50 amp service and have enough charge on the batteries to run for 12 hours of dark. considering the price of gas to fire up the generator at races and the cost of hookups in a RV park I will pay for the panels in 7 months.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Ahh yes, the old "It will pay for itself if I..." justification. I do that all the time :D

How long does it take to charge to get 12 hours in the batteries? and how much does that setup weigh?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
You live in the Midwest?!? What could you possibly be doing to use that much water?? Or is water just REALLY expensive? That's nuts, man... completely nuts. :crazy:
Our water is about 150 every 3 months. It is crazy the fees you have to pay. We went from 15 bucks a month in Memphis to this hefty BS bill we are paying up here. Only about 15 bucks is actual water usage.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
How're you crackers liking Wisconsin?

Ms.DNA and I just took a fact-finding trip through western Wisc. We liked Steven's Point a lot. We have put the DoD on hold for a few years and are looking to move north
Wisconsin is beautiful country. Milwaukee is a super fun city. We won't be staying too long I don't think, but we are really happy here. Lots of recreation (compared to memphis) cycling, skiing, sailing, backpacking, winter and summer sports, kayaking, unbelievable summer weather, people are nice even though they talk funny.

What is the DoD and why is it on hold? Why are you looking to move north?