Quantcast

video about Google's new OS

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm going to dual boot when it comes out. I rarely use my laptop for anything but the Internet.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm going to dual boot when it comes out. I rarely use my laptop for anything but the Internet.
No you won't.

Chrome OS is for Secondary Computers

Google doesn't anticipate Chrome OS being used on your desktop PCs (at least, not yet). Dual-boot will not be possible, and it won't work with your third-party peripherals that use non-standard drivers. Keyboards, mice, and USB hard drives will work, but it's extremely unlikely that you'll be able to sync your iPhone with Chrome OS. They say that they'll have a novel solution for printing in the future.

I'm sure some creative individuals might come up with a work-around, but I don't expect it to happen quickly.

Handy Man

Chimp
Oct 21, 2009
It wont run on any 'normal' PC (i.e. anything with a hard drive)

The way I see it, It is an OS for a new type of netbook. It will allow them to run much faster, need less hardware, be even smaller, and cheaper. It will also spur the development of more and better web apps.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It wont run on any 'normal' PC (i.e. anything with a hard drive)

The way I see it, It is an OS for a new type of netbook. It will allow them to run much faster, need less hardware, be even smaller, and cheaper. It will also spur the development of more and better web apps.
Eventually, this is going to be a very popular format. You'll be able to log into nearly any machine, anywhere, and have your own desktop with your own settings. I suspect that eventually this will be integrated with Android devices to some extent.

Also, 10 seconds from initial power on to a usable desktop? Count me in.

This model is finally starting to become feasible as bandwith and connection speeds are increasing.

However, I don't think this will ever completely replace traditional PC work stations, some things are just to CPU intensive (3d design, FEA, image rendering, video editing, etc).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
However, I don't think this will ever completely replace traditional PC work stations, some things are just to CPU intensive (3d design, FEA, image rendering, video editing, etc).
Well, Google's vision is that most of this heavy lifting will be moved into the cloud eventually. Essentially, you just need bandwidth enough to provide a full-resolution streaming video output to shift heavy lifting entirely into the cloud, be it games or video editing or whatever.

Of course, a lot of this stuff (video editing for example, or photography) will remain local because the ability to transmit huge files to remote locations is always going to remain behind local transfer speeds, but the point is that local processing doesn't have to be local as long as the UI can be kept up to speed. You could do FEA on an iPhone if it was a simple UI stream coming from a server somewhere. Most of these things don't have to stay local (rendering, for instance) because it is created on the machine doing the rendering.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
True, but realtime encryption is less and less of a burden. IPv6 is going to implement mandatory IPSec which covers encryption for the transmission of data and at the storage side, there are dedicated processors that shouldn't be significantly degraded by encryption.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You know, with the requirements of the actual computer coming down, I was just thinking... you could put a pretty heavy duty dedicated encryption chipset into the device whose sole purpose is to encrypt and decrypt data at high speeds. And since the rest of the machine is getting cheaper, it wouldn't even be a very substantial hit on the cost.