Quantcast

Video Editing Software?

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I didn't see anything current when I searched.

My parents bought me this slick little Samsung HD camcorder to record all my adventures this year, but I have no software to edit the video I take.

What should I get? Anything free? Should I just buck up and buy Adobe Elements 8 for $100? I know a lot of you guys edit cool vids so hopefully you can help me out!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
i used corel video studio. you can get a 30 day trial version for free and there are a bunch of youtube tutorials to help you figure out how it works.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Thanks for the tips guys! Keep em coming!

Ill check out that free software as soon as I get some footy! I think I'm going vanning tomorrow night.

PS. I don't have a Mac. Windows XP on an archaic Dell

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
my work computer is a cad laptop workstation with TWO dual core processors and 6 gig of ram plus 2 gig of video card ram and it actually struggles with editing or converting HD video. I figured out that if I try to use it on battery power that it doesn't work as good as plugged in. must be somethine that IT did with the power saving stuff in the control panel that they have me locked out of. Did I mention how much I like IT departments?

Tip for those with the go pro HD: download the k-lite codec pack. It has the h264 mp4 codec that you will need. Otherwise, you will need to watch/edit with quicktime.

Another thought is that if you have the computing power, forget about the 720p and just go straight to 1080p. The effective resolution of 1080p is twice that of the 720p on the go pro. It does this by narrowing up the lens angle. I have several hours of MX trail riding footage on the HD and the narrow view of the 1080p is much better. You would have to be really close for the 170 degree to be better. Note that the 1080p is still much wider than most helmet cams.

here is some 720p converted and compressed with a little quality loss: http://highgearracing.com/Video/Chuck.avi

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
My Dell is like 4 years old?? An Inspiron something something. I paid like $1200 for it in 2005. It has two processors and like 2 gigs of ram I think? When I was in the enginerding dept at school I ran Catia on it. It's not too bad, but just seems weak compared to what I see people rocking now. Is this too weak for video editing? I'm not trying to be the next Clay Porter, I just want to make funny movies of riding and hoolaginism to share with my buddies and remember when I'm old. My camcorder is 1920 x 1280 resolution I think? 1080p? It's one of these new style HD cams that are sub $400 but seem pretty badass.

Do I need to shoot all my vids in Standard Definition? Do I need to throw my computer in the fire? What should I do batmen? I'm honestly asking that question, too. How do I become Theo's sponge, alky counterpart?

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I got Adobe Premiere Elements on my HP. I haven't really used it much as my old video camera doesn't much care to take quality video. But I'm getting the Go Pro HD so hopefully I can mess around with editing like I haven't done since my high school computer design/digital art classes.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
What is a decent editing program for just a regular go pro. I dont care about hd or all the fanch ****. I just want to be able to put clips together and make a movie or two.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
What is a decent editing program for just a regular go pro. I dont care about hd or all the fanch ****. I just want to be able to put clips together and make a movie or two.
I made all of mine on Movie Maker last year. You don't really need to do much other than put clips together with the standard Go-Pro since it's not really good for anything other than helmet cam shots. or use imovie if you have a mac